HD closes KC manufacturing plant

richieb

Very unfortunate news. I got my motorcycle license later in life at 54 (2016). Trained during the summer on a friend’s old 883 Sportster and intermittently on his Yamaha enduro. The Harley’s were a bit rich for my blood and more importantly the wife’s approval. Picked up a very clean low kilometer Yamaha V Star 650. Perfect size bike for around town. Getting the urge for an adventure style bike which are great for our local conditions.

44 minutes ago, Don Richard said:

Harleys haven't had carburetors for years, currently using Delphi fuel injection.

This was probably 15 years ago. I knew it had a Keihin (Japanese) carb on it because a friend of mine worked on Harleys. Keihin and Mikuni were probably the largest carb makers on the planet. 

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

This was probably 15 years ago. I knew it had a Keihin (Japanese) carb on it because a friend of mine worked on Harleys. Keihin and Mikuni were probably the largest carb makers on the planet. 

I put an S&S on mine and jetted it by the seat of my pants.  I leaned it out till I got a slight ping on acceleration then went one jet richer.  When I had it dyno'd the mixture was perfect.

14 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

This type of maintainence is spelled out in my BMW serve manual, I believe at the full 18K miles service. Why it isn't required on autos is a bit odd but bikes have always "required" a more intensive servic schedule. And most bikes do require valve adjustment intervals opposed to the hydraulic systems in cars.  Whether its to keep their service departments afloat or actual needed maintainence are two different questions. I just did my 18K service and while not cheap I figured other than oil changes and tires the bike hasn't cost me a penny otherwise so why not keep it proper condition. They've too much an investment not to.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, richieb said:

This type of maintainence is spelled out in my BMW serve manual, I believe at the full 18K miles service. Why it isn't required on autos is a bit odd but bikes have always "required" a more intensive servic schedule. And most bikes do require valve adjustment intervals opposed to the hydraulic systems in cars.  Whether its to keep their service departments afloat or actual needed maintainence are two different questions. I just did my 18K service and while not cheap I figured other than oil changes and tires the bike hasn't cost me a penny otherwise so why not keep it proper condition. They've too much an investment not to.

It's odd in many of Harley's maintenance service books, they use 2 different types of brake fluid for the front and rear. I have no idea why.

I do all my own maintenance, except valve adjustments. That's optional on a Honda :D

42 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I put an S&S on mine and jetted it by the seat of my pants.  I leaned it out till I got a slight ping on acceleration then went one jet richer.  When I had it dyno'd the mixture was perfect.

nice.  I've never owned a bike;  ridden a few times, on ones owned by friend.  but I've never been skilled at learning how to do such things on autos.  didn't stop me from trying in my younger, more ambitious (more ignorant?) days.  I can remember at least once, maybe only once due to the result, I tried "overhauling" a carb, I think the one on my 1st car - probably a 2bbl Rochester.  had extra parts left when I was done.  that was definitely a sign.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Speaking of tariffs and memory......What do you think about the European tariffs going in place and HD's response? 

I have opinions, none of which I can share on the Klipsch Discussion Forums because it violates the TOS with regards to politics.  B)

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I have opinions, none of which I can share on the Klipsch Discussion Forums because it violates the TOS with regards to politics.  B)

Very Tactful -- You should run for office.

32 minutes ago, rebuy said:
50 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Very Tactful -- You should run for office.

More than likely shed light on his memory situation--We all have opinions. :) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Speaking of tariffs and memory......What do you think about the European tariffs going in place and HD's response? 

It's what businesses do in response to changing circumstances.  Japanese and German car makers all make cars in the USA, for valid business reasons.  Making it personal ignores the logic.  There is someone whose ties, and his daughters clothes are made in China, yet criticizes another business for making a similar decision.  There is a difference though.  It is much harder to exploit labor in Europe than it is in China.

On 1/31/2018 at 5:44 PM, wvu80 said:

That wouldn't surprise me.  Did you know there is an NGK spark plug plant in West Virginia?

One of the best cars I ever owned came from Marysville (near Columbus) Ohio, a 1986 Honda Accord.  It had a super reliable American-made 4-speed Borg-Warner automatic transmission.

I don't know if they still make them, but Ford used to use the 351-C and 351-W engines, made in Cleveland and Windsor, Canada. Not everyone knew their American car had a Canadian engine, but they used different parts.

I was in charge of designing Printed Circuit Boards for all 4 electronic modules for Doors, headlights, etc. for Honda Accord that year. Japanese design American made. It a a $5 Million contract with Honda, all USA built. I always liked their Machine Minimum, Man Maximum philosophy.