Oppo Hanging up Their Hat

Rivernuggets

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Right.  The debt part. Someone has to be willing to take it on, and someone has to be willing to front it.

There really is no profit in their business model if they plan on keeping up with the video processing and the multichannel audio is no longer a draw at the price point, imo....Streaming is the way to go.

Wow this bites! I finally took the leap and bought my first Oppo a few months ago and have been very pleased with it, excellent sound quality. Price was higher than some similar products but not out of the park ridiculous like others I've seen. What a shame, better buy up now while you can I guess. 

I first owned an Oppo BDP-83, rock solid.  Then a Cambridge Audio 751BD(same Mediatek chipset as Oppo 95), rock solid.  Now a BDP-105, also rock solid.  No plans to upgrade to the 205 anytime soon but may change that thought because those that appear on the used market will command a premium price.

Bill

Q: Why is Oppo terminating its product manufacturing?

A: The revenue from sales cannot offset the cost of developing players and maintaining a production facility.

Q: The announcement says Oppo will “gradually” stop making products. How gradually?

A: We are in the process of manufacturing our last batch of products. If there is no change to delay or speed up the production, we expect the last product to come out of the factory in June.

Q: When production stops, will you continue to sell products in your inventory? How long do you anticipate that might last?

A: Yes, we will continue to sell products in our inventory. It is hard to predict how long that might last; based on the previous rate, it may last 2-3 months. However, demand may slow down given the announcement, or perhaps people will want to get products while they can and the inventory will be sold out quickly.

Q: What will happen to the company in the long term? Will it change its focus in some way, or will it stay open long enough to support its products for some period of time? Are we talking months or years?

A: The company will transition from product development to product support. We are committed to supporting the products for as long as we can. For those who just purchased one of our products or will purchase them, we will honor the 2-year manufacturer’s warranty, so we are talking about years rather than months. This is also why we made the announcement now, so customers can make an informed decision regarding future purchases, and we can plan to have the proper resources to support the customers and products.

Q: Regarding the UDP-203 and 205 UHD Blu-ray players, have you released a firmware update that addresses the Sony implementation of Dolby Vision in its TVs? If you haven’t issued that update, do you expect to? If so, when?

A: We have firmware that supports Sony’s implementation of Dolby Vision in its TVs. The firmware is undergoing testing by Dolby right now. We hope to make it available to customers as soon as the test concludes that there is no problem with existing Dolby Vison-capable TVs as well as Sony TVs.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I use the Sony X-800 and it works great on DVDs/DVD-As/SACDs/Bluray/4K disks (edit: and streaming is a breeze). :emotion-21:

Exact one I use, works great and never had a problem. Really good 4K and normal dvd up converting.

Even with the good reputation oppo has I couldn't see spending 2.5 to 7+ times as much, got it on sale for $150 and it plays every format including DVD A and SACD.

• Like 1

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Looks like they're disc continuing production.

Looks like it, I thought they were doing fine, great reputation solid products, and pretty high prices. It can not be that they were not making money, the markup on there average player is shocking. Owned by a bigger company who don't want to be bothered, or the company saturated their niche market, who knows the truth.

You have to wonder just how many units they were selling.  The whacko's like us involved in niche markets are shrinking. 

Oppo built solid units, spent extra on very nice packaging and great people to service their customers.   Seeing companies like this going away just tells me the younger crowd is losing its sophistication for Convenience and disposable products, oh and obviously losing on IQ as well.   Now pass those Tidepods over here please.

• Like 5

You're absolutely right. Its very difficult for a company to operate in a niche market. And your younger crowd comment is also spot on.

My 30 something kids look in amazement when they see LaScalas' let alone the Jubilees. They think I'm nuts. My daughter, who is a professional and makes damn good money about fell over when I told what some of my gear costs. It's all about convenience, the sophistication and branding of the product. They have cut the TV cable cord and use Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc. When we watch the Grandkids I have to call her to figure out how to watch the darn TV. Damn youngsters - Get Off My Yard ?!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1