Need something better than KG4s

Barefootserpent

I was looking for some speakers for a secondary system in my home. I have a small Marantz 1060 which is a 35 watt solid state receiver and a dual 1219 turntable. I picked up a pair of really nice kg4 speakers but I am not thrilled with them. They seem to be a little dull and I would like something a little better depth. Since it is a secondary system I don't want to spend a lot of money but maybe $1,000. I'm not sure what that will get me but recommendations are welcome. I did hear a vintage pair of Thiel speakers and I really liked them but they are gone. I don't remember the model but they were rated for about 40-60 watts per Channel.

2 hours ago, Barefootserpent said:

I was looking for some speakers for a secondary system in my home. I have a small Marantz 1060 which is a 35 watt solid state receiver and a dual 1219 turntable. I picked up a pair of really nice kg4 speakers but I am not thrilled with them. They seem to be a little dull and I would like something a little better depth. Since it is a secondary system I don't want to spend a lot of money but maybe $1,000. I'm not sure what that will get me but recommendations are welcome. I did hear a vintage pair of Thiel speakers and I really liked them but they are gone. I don't remember the model but they were rated for about 40-60 watts per Channel.

A lot of options at your price point in the used market:

Any of the Chorus, Cornwall, forte, KLF models would be a big step up so would the RF-5's or RF-7's. The KG 5.2 & 5.5 are pretty decent as well.

• Like 1

The R-620 is on sale right now on the Klipsch websight.

As for the KG's I found raising the horn to ear level and adding a subwoofer made them sound their best.

Tons of used options, you may find a 3way design more revealing.

Check those woofer surrounds, the rubber dries up and cracks creating leaks, that will harm the sound.

• Like 1

The KG series are nice but they were the entry level model line that Klipsch offered at that time. It would only make sence to look to the Heresy, forte, Cornwall/Chorus or KLF-20/30 models. If bass is important the Heresy are a bit shy in that area though. With your ~$1000 price point you should be able to find something nice with a bit of patience and perseverance.

• Like 1

Welcome! Looking like Mr Crossover Recap needs to pay a visit. Maybe even Miss Ti Diaphragm.

Placed out from a wall or corner correctly, The horn should follow nicely.

Never a dull moment. Thinking at around 94db efficient, more than needed. 

Enjoy! 

• Like 2

Would also check a different source other than a Turntable as the phono preamp section in the Marantz may in lt be as crisp as it was.

The parts in the 4s are sought after to keep the rest of the 4s going with original parts.

Better may not be the best description.

The OP has a $1k budget. If they were to check the local used market, I'd bet they'd score a deal.

Local to me, someone is selling a complete Klipsch 5.1 system, including a pair of RF-82s, for a mere $400. The subwoofer doesn't work but for that money, I'd throw away all the other speakers, keep the RF-82s and still be way ahead.

13 hours ago, Barefootserpent said:

I did hear a vintage pair of Thiel speakers and I really liked them but they are gone. I don't remember the model but they were rated for about 40-60 watts per Channel.

You can never go wrong with a pair of Heresy 1 or Forte  1 Speakers , and under 1000$ is not a problem, the Heresy 1 with the  K55V and the K77 are the ones to watch out for  , the same drivers were used in the Cornwall-Lascala -Belle-khorn  , the cabs are made of wood rather than MDF , the Forte are excellent for bass reproduction in a large cabinet -

On 12/10/2021 at 6:04 AM, jjptkd said:

A lot of options at your price point in the used market:

Any of the Chorus, Cornwall, forte, KLF models would be a big step up so would the RF-5's or RF-7's. The KG 5.2 & 5.5 are pretty decent as well.

So you think the RF5 is a big step up from the KG4?

I already had a black pair of Klipsch RF5 for my living room and I like them a lot. When a pair of cherry RF5s were available for $120 locally I jumped on them for a hifi setup in my basement. I also picked up a Yamaha AS701 amp and Technics SL 1700 TT.

It does seem silly have two pairs of RF5s (even though they sound really good to me), so I've been browsing local listings to see what else is out there.

A local guy is selling a mint set of KG4s in walnut for $400. They have the original boxes and even the manuals! They look absolutely pristine.

So, do you think the KG4 would be a good change for 2 channel music (vinyl and FLAC, no movies)?

On 12/10/2021 at 7:28 PM, dtr20 said:

For cheaper options, I personally like the second generation KG line. I prefer the KG4.2 and KG5.2 way more over the KG4.

My personal favorite in the KG line is the 5.2-- balanced top to bottom and overall very good sound.