New Klipsch subs announced

wuzzzer

On 3/3/2023 at 12:29 PM, RLink said:

Will have to see and hear them which I understand is very important but two issues for me on build design:

1.  Ebony Scratch Resistent Vinyl......Still no real wood veneer that was promised years ago I believe at CES in 2017.

2.  Appears to be a tiny on/off button located top left on the front, can't really tell.

So bottom line for the Klipsch customer that wants a sub-woofer in Real Wood well, not yet!

Unfortunately, if real wood veneers were offered the price would probably double across the line respectively.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 7:40 PM, John Chi-town said:

Unfortunately, if real wood veneers were offered the price would probably double across the line respectively.

But don't all the speakers in the heritage line feature real wood veneers? I kind of figured that's a big part of the reason they're so expensive although all Klipsch would have to do to make these upcoming subs fit in with their heritage line would be to use wood veneer and add a retro grill and badge and voila!

• Like 1

Finally got into these forums! 

I am thrilled that Klipsch is finally addressing the line of subs that are getting slammed online for quality issues in the amps. I have the SPL-150SW and was more or less enjoying it. However, despite a lot of fooling around with positioning, I could audibly locate it in the room when using it for music. It was distracting, and I can only attribute it to some small amounts of distortion. I have heard it chuff, but that is rare as I have a family that doesn't let me crank it to 11 during movies. 

At one point my amp did die off, and I took the amp into work and fixed it. One of the traces on the board had etched through as the board was not cleaned well after production, and some solder flux actually ate the trace off due to the heat of the nearby standby circuit. I cleaned the board, repaired the trace, and have been good to go since. However, after seeing how the amplifier was incredibly cheap (despite being a clever design), it left a sour taste in my mouth. This and the distortion left me wanting something different.

So, this winter I decided I would piece together Dayton 18" passive radiator sub since they have great reviews for very low distortion. I was seeking low distortion more so than output level (though I do enjoy that a lot too) so I could do something about locating the sub during music. I also purchased a DSP integrated amplifier (Class D) to go with it so I could compensate for room gain. 

After much trial and error trying to get a finish on the box so it looks nice, (finally settled on oak veneer) and a lot of swearing, I finally got it together. Started playing around with it 3 weeks ago and tuned it up to integrate with my RP8000Fs. It sounded fantastic!

And now, Klipsch went and released these on me. Just in time for me to be done blowing way too much time and money on a custom job that cannot got past about 116dB SPL. There is no way I will slip this past the property committee after converting the family room to an assembly room for that massive sub. The real problem is I just landed a couple of old Forte IIs in great shape that may need a little TLC to freshen them up as they were in storage for 15 years, so even more money spent. (Worth it!)

Otherwise, I would have been the first in line for the 16" of this. Oh well. The one sub is enough in the room. Tried to run the Klipsch and the Dayton together, and it is a little overwhelming and boomy. I cannot tame the room gain on the Klipsch at 34Hz. Not a fault of the sub, but the fault of not being able to spectrally deal with room gain.

I hear a rumor there may be a Heritage version of subs coming also? That will be something to behold. Maybe that would reach a level I could piss off my neighbors that live 1/4 mile away.

23 hours ago, liquidsquid793 said:

Finally got into these forums! 

I am thrilled that Klipsch is finally addressing the line of subs that are getting slammed online for quality issues in the amps. I have the SPL-150SW and was more or less enjoying it. However, despite a lot of fooling around with positioning, I could audibly locate it in the room when using it for music. It was distracting, and I can only attribute it to some small amounts of distortion. I have heard it chuff, but that is rare as I have a family that doesn't let me crank it to 11 during movies. 

At one point my amp did die off, and I took the amp into work and fixed it. One of the traces on the board had etched through as the board was not cleaned well after production, and some solder flux actually ate the trace off due to the heat of the nearby standby circuit. I cleaned the board, repaired the trace, and have been good to go since. However, after seeing how the amplifier was incredibly cheap (despite being a clever design), it left a sour taste in my mouth. This and the distortion left me wanting something different.

So, this winter I decided I would piece together Dayton 18" passive radiator sub since they have great reviews for very low distortion. I was seeking low distortion more so than output level (though I do enjoy that a lot too) so I could do something about locating the sub during music. I also purchased a DSP integrated amplifier (Class D) to go with it so I could compensate for room gain. 

After much trial and error trying to get a finish on the box so it looks nice, (finally settled on oak veneer) and a lot of swearing, I finally got it together. Started playing around with it 3 weeks ago and tuned it up to integrate with my RP8000Fs. It sounded fantastic!

And now, Klipsch went and released these on me. Just in time for me to be done blowing way too much time and money on a custom job that cannot got past about 116dB SPL. There is no way I will slip this past the property committee after converting the family room to an assembly room for that massive sub. The real problem is I just landed a couple of old Forte IIs in great shape that may need a little TLC to freshen them up as they were in storage for 15 years, so even more money spent. (Worth it!)

Otherwise, I would have been the first in line for the 16" of this. Oh well. The one sub is enough in the room. Tried to run the Klipsch and the Dayton together, and it is a little overwhelming and boomy. I cannot tame the room gain on the Klipsch at 34Hz. Not a fault of the sub, but the fault of not being able to spectrally deal with room gain.

I hear a rumor there may be a Heritage version of subs coming also? That will be something to behold. Maybe that would reach a level I could piss off my neighbors that live 1/4 mile away.

Price has never been an issue with customers who purchase the Heritage line, why there is no subwoofer to compliment these speakers makes no sense to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Until recently, I used to home-brew my own massive towers to get low-end extension. It never really went well as at the time due to designing crossovers was only based on datasheets, not while they were in the box. Then I bought the 15" SPL, and it was an eye opener for allowing me to get affordable ready-made speakers since they didn't need to dig deep any longer. Then a good hybrid came up three weeks ago: Great condition Forte IIs $500 for the pair! I can scratch the itch by refurbing these, but they don't need much. Just perhaps a crossover update. Add a sub and wow!

The Klipsch 15" SPL is outclassed by these Forte IIs (The sub is black for one, so it doesn't go with the decor). The Forte IIs are so tight and low on distortion. The new Dayton 18" PR sub blends well with them as it is also tight and low on distortion. (Tight meaning quick decay, no boominess).

Oak cabinets for the Forte's, Oak for the sub. Tasty. Attached with sub in testing. For reference that is a 2U rack unit to the right. It still needs a coat of Helmsman Poly, but waiting for warmer weather to do that outside.

IMG_0797.jpeg

Edited by liquidsquid793
  • Like 1

That 16" would be great with my La Scala's, but the footprint is just huge.  I was going to buy an SVS PB16 Ultra, but thought it was too big, so I have a PC4000, which takes up the same floorspace as the sonosub I previously built.  If I still had an actual theater, this would be a no-brainer.  Now that I just use my living room, it's not even a WAF thing...  I get tired of clutter. 

3 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

That 16" would be great with my La Scala's, but the footprint is just huge.  I was going to buy an SVS PB16 Ultra, but thought it was too big, so I have a PC4000, which takes up the same floorspace as the sonosub I previously built.  If I still had an actual theater, this would be a no-brainer.  Now that I just use my living room, it's not even a WAF thing...  I get tired of clutter. 

Don't ever visit my basement then!  😁

11 minutes ago, CoryGillmore said:

I'm considering a pair of these new 12" subs to go with my Cornwall IVs..

Spec wise they look very impressive, comparable to the RSW-15 but with slightly lower frequency response:

Screenshot 2023-03-18 074341.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

Spec wise they look very impressive, comparable to the RSW-15 but with slightly lower frequency response:

Screenshot 2023-03-18 074341.png

Jesus they are literally so huge though lol. Even the 10" RP would be a massive upgrade from my pair of Best Buy special 12SW subs, but even the 10" RP is 25" DEEP! But I would have to push my speakers closer together to be able to align the front of the sub even with the cabinet of the Cornwalls, being positioned on the outside of each speaker, which is how I like my subs positioned. 

The 10" is rated down to just below 20hz, which is incredible! Also a good bit cheaper than the 10" REL T/9x I was considering a year ago. 

• 1 month later...