What are you using to store your vinyl.

merkin

I just moved to a new place and I need something to store a couple hundred albums.   I'm going to need about 100 inches of shelving.  The place I moved from had nice built in book case.  On line all I see is the Ikea boxes and then some special album display cases that cost close to $1000.  Will a well built book case that in 12 inches deep work I can't see why not.  Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

Ikea Kallax shelves.

Perfectly sized for a stack of LPs, and can even be closed in later stage if you wish (dust and such).

Takes less space than big cases usually seen in record shops and that many people like.

Certainly need bracing. People have had those things collapse. 

• Like 1

IMG-20210420-143033163.jpg

Part of my stash.  Began w/full inch stained shelving boards and decorative concrete blocks, then had a guy build my cabinet.  Inch oak, 4 feet long w/a toe kick board 4 inches high on the bottom,smoked glass on recessed tracks so the bottom edge of the lp wouldn't get torn up.  Picked up the other two pieces of the gray shelving board up @ a local 2nd hand store for 10$.  It's lagged w/4" wood screws into the wall studs along with some 2x2's for support in the middle.  Also, not showing is an old 5 shelve solid oak military bookcase I picked up on fb marketplace for $35 and the guy delivered it for $20.  Today, once again, I'm outta room w/6 stacks of stuff leaning against whatever I can lean it on.

This is a couple years old.  Originally I thought I'd need maybe 3 cabinets in my llifetime.  That's 50 years worth so plan accordingly.  Think WEIGHT!    😂

20220707_195327.jpg

• Like 4

@billybob it's prolly empty and workin it's way to the stack in the garage I've hoarded.  From there it's usually a garbage can at some point.  Thinking about wasting some tape on a stack for the G-men to pick up sometime soon. 

Might even have to bring the blower in the house, open the french doors one last time and givin this place a good cleaning.  Sweepers are over-rated!  Gotta keep @JohnJ on his toes yanno cause he ain't seen nuttin yet!  😂💪

• Haha 2

I love these super milk crates, because I hate getting a crick in my neck trying to read the edges of the covers when they are on a shelf. Rugged, stackable and best of all you can flip through the albums, grab what you want to play and also run across something you haven't played in awhile and pick that one out too.

https://www.milkcratesdirect.com/super-crates/s-crate-1?gclid=CjwKCAjw-KipBhBtEiwAWjgwrPvCDb1mFDwiGeBZEwRT5CQmxvsZZnky0mmeJIdnpU1fD03Uh6TaVhoConkQAvD_BwE

• Like 4

Thanks for everybody's input (except for Real Duke, the way I acquired a lot of my vinyl was saving it from a dumpster at the end of a garage sale.)  I've been scanning craigslist for book cases.  I just don't trust the ikea stuff and I want it to look nice in the family room.  

• Like 2

On 10/13/2023 at 11:02 AM, Dave1291 said:

Part of my stash.  Began w/full inch stained shelving boards and decorative concrete blocks, then had a guy build my cabinet.  Inch oak, 4 feet long w/a toe kick board 4 inches high on the bottom,smoked glass on recessed tracks so the bottom edge of the lp wouldn't get torn up.  Picked up the other two pieces of the gray shelving board up @ a local 2nd hand store for 10$.  It's lagged w/4" wood screws into the wall studs along with some 2x2's for support in the middle.  Also, not showing is an old 5 shelve solid oak military bookcase I picked up on fb marketplace for $35 and the guy delivered it for $20.  Today, once again, I'm outta room w/6 stacks of stuff leaning against whatever I can lean it on.

This is a couple years old.  Originally I thought I'd need maybe 3 cabinets in my llifetime.  That's 50 years worth so plan accordingly.  Think WEIGHT!    😂

20220707_195327.jpg

A friend has a sagging second floor from the weight of vinyl. 😀

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 11:02 AM, Dave1291 said:

20220707_195327.jpg

What do you do for Bass ??