hey deano (snipers and the jub envious, STAY AWAY)

bodcaw boy

Some of the early posts in this thread are funny. I suggest we start by not allowing Klipschorn reviews -- we wouldn't want to upset the LaScala owners. Edwinr said goodbye, and said he was joining Paul until 2159 -- he must have got lost looking for the Klipsch Hall of Shame.

Why does anyone care what I think, as if I'm anyone -- and what difference would it make. If I honestly say I like them a lot and have no complaints, people say I'm not being "honest" -- because as everyone knows, "honesty" doesn't involve flattering language, right? If I say the Jubilee sounds better than a Klipschorn (and it does), then out come the clubs and knives. If there is a generally decent thread on the subject, it doesn't take long before the ignorant and self proclaimed experts on all things audio feel compelled to contribute with their imbecilic comments.

As Al once told me, "O.K., but your just one guy in one room." -- wiser words have never been spoken at it relates to this hobby. How does anything I say now have any bearing on what you would think if you actually heard them? How does anything I describe help you? Forum discussion about how things actually sound is practically worthless.

I've been doing this since 1975. My first speaker was the Original Advent and an Onkyo integrated. From there I went to AR11's with a Thalia preamp and Son of Ampzilla amplifier from G.A.S. Next were Dahlquist DQ-10's, and finally some Magnapan QR 1.5's run with an Anthem tube preamp and Luxman M-114 amplifier. A good deal of time was also spent in front of other systems and high end audio stores. So, ribbons and high power is where I was seven years ago when I came to the forum. I had heard a set of KSB 3.1's at Carlin Audio here in Dayton and really liked them, so I bought them. After I took them home, I liked them so much I wanted to hear what else Klipsch had. Next came RB-5's, then RC-7's (I twirled the horns and put them on stands), RF-7's, Cornwalls, and finally Klipschorns. It's no secret that I've gone through some gear, so I guess I've heard a few things. I used to think people wanted to know what I thought because I might provide good insight because of my experience, but later I figured out it was mostly because they enjoyed giving me grief -- so I actually quit saying much about anything I was hearing. It's really a damned if you do and damned if you don't proposition around here.

The Klipschorn Jubilee is the best sounding speaker I've ever heard, and it's a good couple of notches above the Klipschorn in every area. If people who haven't heard them want to believe it's not a bonafide upgrade, then believe on. If people who have heard them have a different opinion then mine -- that's perfectly acceptable. I believe very strongly however that the latter will be in a very small minority.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice post, Dean... kinda sums it all up.

I don't doubt you for a second. I've heard 6foot8's 3-ways, and they were bigger than life... in appearance and in sound. I'm sure I'll own a pair one day when I have the room, and the finances are in order.

Mike

6foot8, Al K and Parrot. Kind of a Bermuda Triangle of Jubilee angst.

Dean: I've yet to figure it out. Perhaps it is a compliment as you're a respected member of the forum or perhaps some simply want to bust your a$$. I am happy for you & glad you are enjoying your investment.

I'm going to venture to Hope this summer & see if Roy will give me an audition. I'll be packing ribs.

Jubilee owners, hold your head up. Be proud. But, whatever you do, please don't post any pics of your Jubilee's hooked up to SET amps.

SET AND JUBILEE ROTFLMAO I just about bust a gut on that but with the increased efficiency SET would be even more suited for the Jubilee. I'd still like to try some nice PP 2A3 sometime not powerhouses but I bet they sound grand. As I said before Klipsch high efficiency speakers are more inclusive when it comes to amplification.

OK you guys asked for it! This is a picture from when I first received the Jubilees.

Cary CAD2A3i (2A3 push/pull amp) and AES-SE-1 (single ended 2A3 amp)

mike tn[:D]

post-14473-13819329831304_thumb.jpg

Actually Dean you are selling yourself short. I don't think "your just one guy in one room".

In spite of your wackiness about "fancy caps", I am interested in your opinion on the Jubilees. Many of us are quite interested in what you and Rigma and the others think about the improvement.

You could do a number of us a favor however. Open up the check book and 1) get an electronic crossover (and a second amp) 2) pick up a K510. Now you can do the necessary A/B comparisons for us (that is a total of four comparisons).

Think of it: one system, one room, consistent listener, with 402 vs 510 then passive vs electronic (with time alignment), then the interaction of the two factors. You would be doing a number of us a great favor!

Still envious (and feeling inadequate),

-Tom

Roy. I truly, truly, truly think this is what needs to be done at Indy.

I'm serious here.

Have a pair of Jubilee bass bins with the 510 horn on top with your passive. This will eliminate a lot of "doubt" that the jubilee system isn't appropriate for the home. With the acceptance of this.....I believe more will jump on board. The 402 is great and we should hear it here too. I think that horn needs to be the "upgrade" option for the system for those who want the ultimate big horn experience.

When I left Hope last year, I emailed you that following monday I returned to start lining up me to get the jubilee. My wife completely was against the 402 sitting on top. Then I was thinking of all these options of what I would do to the top end to make it more appealing to be in my house. Oh yea...lots of ideas crossed my mind on how to do this. But then all I could think of was how pissed you and others would be if I was one of the original Jubilee owners and have a vintage Altec horn or something else sitting on top. This had me worried I would be ousted on the forum.

Therefore I built my own jub clones. This gave me flexability. If I had heard the 510 at Hope Last year....and I'm sure they are good....the purchase probably would have happened.

I know the passive for the setup isn't "commercially" available....but....it could be done 3rd party by your approval.....

jc

.................. My wife completely was against the 402 sitting on top...............

You big wimp.[:D]

tc

I would not think the 510 would be better either. Remember......I may buy the 402's.......but I will make them invisible. My wife wouldn't tolerate an "exposed horn" in the house and I'm not so hot on their looks either exposed. She is very acceptable of this high end stuff though.

Dean already has given his opinion. I was satisfied. Are we needing a review one week of listening?

jc

........................ My wife wouldn't tolerate an "exposed horn" in the house.......................

You big wuss.[:D]

tc

Some of the early posts in this thread are funny. I suggest we start by not allowing Klipschorn reviews -- we wouldn't want to upset the LaScala owners. Edwinr said goodbye, and said he was joining Paul until 2159 -- he must have got lost looking for the Klipsch Hall of Shame.

Why does anyone care what I think, as if I'm anyone -- and what difference would it make. If I honestly say I like them a lot and have no complaints, people say I'm not being "honest" -- because as everyone knows, "honesty" doesn't involve flattering language, right? If I say the Jubilee sounds better than a Klipschorn (and it does), then out come the clubs and knives. If there is a generally decent thread on the subject, it doesn't take long before the ignorant and self proclaimed experts on all things audio feel compelled to contribute with their imbecilic comments.

As Al once told me, "O.K., but your just one guy in one room." -- wiser words have never been spoken at it relates to this hobby. How does anything I say now have any bearing on what you would think if you actually heard them? How does anything I describe help you? Forum discussion about how things actually sound is practically worthless.

I've been doing this since 1975. My first speaker was the Original Advent and an Onkyo integrated. From there I went to AR11's with a Thalia preamp and Son of Ampzilla amplifier from G.A.S. Next up were the Dahlquist DQ-10's, and finally some Magnapan QR 1.5's with an Anthem tube preamp and Luxman M-114 amplifier. A good deal of time was spent in front of other systems and high end audio stores (remember those). Anyways, ribbons and high power is where I was seven years ago when I came to the forum. I had heard a set of KSB 3.1's at Carlin Audio here in Dayton and really liked them, so I bought them. After I took them home, I liked them so much I wanted to hear what else Klipsch had. Next came RB-5's, then RC-7's (I twirled the horns and put them on stands), RF-7's, Cornwalls, and finally Klipschorns. I guess it's no secret that I've gone through some gear too, so I guess I've heard a few things. I used to think people wanted to know what I thought because I might provide good insight because of my experience, but later I figured out it was mostly because they enjoyed giving me grief -- so I actually quit saying much about anything I was hearing. It's really a damned if you do and damned if you don't proposition around here.

The Klipschorn Jubilee is the best sounding speaker I've ever heard, and it's a good couple of notches above the Klipschorn in every area. If people who haven't heard them want to believe it's not a bonafide upgrade, then believe on. If people who have heard them have a different opinion then mine -- that's perfectly acceptable. I believe very strongly however that the latter will be in a very small minority.

Well, while we are giving you grief.........I believe you owned M-117's to drive the Magies. M-114's would have been a little weak for the Magies and your taste for SPL's in the day.[;)]

Terry

Dean,

It is EXACTLY because you have gone through so much equipment AND because you have put up with so much grief for doing so, that I respect your opinions and appreciate your guidance.

However, I am a bit miffed, because it is appearing you are going to keep these Jubilees longer than I can wait to own a pair. I suspect I will be in the club much sooner than expected so don't get too used to those passives and save your money for the EQ.

Anyone wanna buy some equipment?

I am stunned - once again.

The thread is addressed to Dean. It further suggests those who don't want to hear about jubilee's to avoid it. So what happens?

And you're suggesting the thread title is not inflammotory after what has taken place?

Roy is a Klipsch employee and can talk about whatever he damn well pleases wherever he damn well pleases.

Yes. Exactly my point. Roy is a Klipsch employee. But I guess the philosophy of "Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes..." applies to any company that doesn't want to retain their customers.

Some of us are interested in the Jubilee and in particular value Dean's opinions.

So was I. I was in the process of selecting my next Klipsch product - either the AK5 klipschorns with possibly a sealed back or maybe even the mighty Jubilee, I've got the dollars, but at this juncture I now lack the inclination to buy. My initial questions about the Jubilee were treated with some derision and the childish comments that have come about from those that should know better... what can I say? I know some of you might say that I should join Parrot. I don't entirely agree with everything he says. But Good God people! Have a look at some of the vitriole that has been thrown his way! Some of you may find the current situation amusing. I find it very disappointing. I for one am now looking at my small but very valuable collection of Klipsch speakers with disappointment. Is this what PWK wanted?

In short,

So you go to your own corner if you don't like it.

That's another example of the attitude I am talking about - seemingly encouraged and supported by Klipsch management. Amy, in my several previous conversations with you, I have always supported and respected your opinion and your decisions. In this instance I ask you to take a step back and look at the whole picture. The manner in which this whole Jubilee thing has been perpetrated and conducted on this forum has been disappointing in many respects. If you wish to discuss this matter with me via email I am happy to. If not, I understand...

Thanks for the pictures guys!

If someone could not live with an exposed horn as shown then why not build a little frame around them and use a little fabric to complete the job. The look pretty well proportioned and very elegant, if not downright intimidating to boot.[Y]

edwinr,

This is a Klipsch forum. The Jubilee is a Klipsch product. Roy is a confidant of PWK and a Klipsch employee.

Parrot is a guy who never listened to a Jubilee, berated Roy endlessly while calling him a liar, by extension accused Klipsch of committing fraud, and has repeatedly made bogus claims and misrepresented them as PWK's thoughts and intents.

Since your loyalty to Parrot overwhelms your sense of loyalty to Klipsch, please post a list of the Klipsch speakers you are ready to part with; I am sure others will be glad to relieve you of them.

Roy & Jubilee or Parrot... not even worthy of discussion IMO.