Well� I�m devastated. My system has been critiqued by�

jhoak

[.

I'm not a "Bose hater" by any stretch. In my opinion there simply is no better noise-cancelling headphones than the ones they currently sell. I wish I had a good excuse to buy a pair but I just don't travel enough any more to justify the expense.

Actually Sennheiser makes noise canceling headphones that in my opinion sound better than the bose, and cost significantly less. I have a pair of the PXC450s and the pxc 300's . I travel a lot. I have used bose and they are very nice headphones but the Sennheisers are just as good if not better for less dough. I sense a pattern here!

J

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to someone recently about audio and home theater and after talking about my main setup with Klipsch I mentioned the Bose 401 speakers I've had for the last 17 years and they got all excited "Ooh Bose, now those are nice!"

I actually don't mind the 401s, they certainly sound a lot better than the little cubes. I guess I got on the Bose bandwagon back when they were somewhat decent.

Maybe even make a few fake spec sheets or brochure flyers about the new BOSE SYSTEM. Zip it!

I know this is late, but that would be a dead give away that it is not BOSE gear, they have never and will never publish spec's.

Brac

"De gustibus non est disputandum"

While there is some truth to that statement, "accuracy" is not a taste and it IS open to dispute. In my case, I've never heard Bose of any model or vintage I would mistake for accurate.

Perhaps more to the point, if your system sounded good before this individual made his comments, it still does. While I've never heard anyone say they'd heard anything better than my system that any mortal is likely to have, I would not care if they did.

It would sound just as accurate (and have a few little issues of which I need no one to inform me about) that it did before they walked in and I'd happily resume my listening and send them off to whatever made them smile.

Dave

I'm currently reading a book by Toole right now, and that is the source of my next question for you, Dave:

Can you define "accuracy"? Does that include things other than an "averaged" curve of frequency vs. amplitude? If so, can you share your thoughts on what those factors are?

Chris

A Bose disciple. ...

His critique used words like “muddy bass”, “overwhelming bass”, “shrill” and “tinny”. The comment that cut the deepest was “Hell… I had an AM radio in my 66 VW beetle that sounded better than this. ...

I'd say being a Bose disciple is the least of his problems. Just forget about him and enjoy your music. Get some noise cancelling headphones if he ever comes over again, block out that nonsense. :)

I'm currently reading a book by Toole right now, and that is the source of my next question for you, Dave:

Can you define "accuracy"? Does that include things other than an "averaged" curve of frequency vs. amplitude? If so, can you share your thoughts on what those factors are?

Chris

Yezzir, for my purposes I can. One can certainly get into a debate that could split hairs infinitely without reaching a consensus, but I've done with that.

I define accuracy as: Souce material I engineered played back in such a way that I hear nothing except what I heard on location that I cannot define as due to physical factors in the playback space or errors in the playback chain.

Errors in the playback chain are defined as: Anything I hear in the system not present in the headphones or ears on location is either inherently inaccurate, broken, or in need of adjustment.

Any remaining differences are my engineering or the equipment I employed.

Involved? Yes. Personal? Yes. Does it work? Yes.

There are certain things in life one cannot wait for consensus on. Accuracy in playback is one of those for me. Every change I've made in my system since I begain recording is based on the above construct, and I've reached my own definition of "accuracy."

I suspect yours, and most audiophiles, milage on the above would vary. The reason is that most audiophiles ideas of accuracy are bound to certain recordings they've heard on thiers and others systems over a period of years. Some are personal, and others are "legendary" albums many of us have heard and share. However, on day one when we opened it for the first time we had NO frame of reference for knowing what "accurate" playback of that album would sound like. Some albums sound great, but aren't accurate to the original space/time event, others sound awful, and are...

That is complex enough...but without a frame of reference for the original acoustic space/time event ones concept of "accurate playback" has to be subjective by nature.

That doesn't mean it's meaningless, by any stretch...just that it's part of the reason this Bose-Oh found Brac's system "inaccurate."

It did not fit his definition.

Dave

I was talking to someone recently about audio and home theater and after talking about my main setup with Klipsch I mentioned the Bose 401 speakers I've had for the last 17 years and they got all excited "Ooh Bose, now those are nice!

A friend was over and said that he needed a pair of speakers for his Guitar Hero. I tok him upstairs and said that I had a air of JBL's and a pair of Bose bookshelves in the closet. He said, "Well the Bose are probably much better." I said, "You are getting the JBL's because they are much better speakers." I gave them to him for free so I could make the choice.

In any event, its not worth arguing with someone who criticizes that hard (as in the original post). Why bother? You have a great pair of speakers and the other guy's stuff is overpriced and not very good at all. You know it, what else matters?

Some folks (sarcastic use of the vernacular of folks) have to put a half a bottle of A-1 on their chop steak and would do the same even if you gave them a $75 dry aged prime filet mignon .....I not judging (well yeah I am) but thats what they like and don't try to tell them any different.

Fenderbender--you know people that do that? Yikes! Everyone knows that you put Ketchup on filet mignon.

Don't be devistated,at least you didn't lose a freind.You've been around a while,you know there is a "critic"for everything.Now he'll be thinkin' to himself,hmmmm...this "cumputerized bose setup is missing something",better find a 66 vw speaker.