RIP Neil Armstrong

JerolW

Yeah, I just saw that on Bloomberg News a short while ago. Wasn't sure if I should say anything since it's not audio related or anything. But I'm glad you did jerol.

We should also take a moment to remember all those who made that event possible for Neil.

I'll just cut and paste some stuff from the book "Team Moon"

Here on Earth, the New York Thruway had its worst traffic jam ever when
half a million music-lovers headed to Woodstock for the rock concert of
the century on August 15. That was small potatoes compared to what half a
billion people saw on their (probably black and white) television
screens on July 20, 1969. They watched in fascination and awe as Neil
Armstrong stepped onto the surface of the moon. People used to say, when
talking about something that they considered impossible, "That'll
happen when a man walks on the moon." And now, here it was, actually
happening. There were two men walking on the moon.

According to author Thimmesh's splendid piece of original research on what
happened behind the scenes, it took 400,000 people to get them
there-including 17,000 at the Kennedy Space Center, 7,500 workers at
Grumman who constructed the lunar module, flight directors, engineers,
electricians, designers and seamstresses who made the space suits,
doctors, and navigators.

Peace be with you.

Sad news, RIP Neil.

My father gone almost five years now was one of the engineers who worked for North American Rockwell and NASA on all the Mercury and Apollo missions. He was very proud of it and I got to go on some really good tours of NASA as a kid. My father was even given a medallion after Apollo 11 which was made from metal of the returned Apollo 11 capsule.

I remember watching the Apollo 11 moon landing on TV occasionally going outside to look at the moon while it was happening.

former Rockwell International Employee here also. my family had been with north American aviation for years, and my mom knew Neil Personally, she was in medical(management) during the Apollo and STS programs.

God speed Neil... you will be missed.

former Rockwell International Employee here also. my family had been with north American aviation for years, and my mom knew Neil Personally, she was in medical(management) during the Apollo and STS programs.

God speed Neil... you will be missed.

My mom had also worked at Rockwell for a short while, I believe that is how she met my dad.

My much older brother worked there as well after Apollo but during the space shuttle's beginning's and throughout, he had retired and was brought out of retirement when the space shuttle Columbia disintegrated during its re-entry.

yeah... downey was happening in the 1960's and 1970's. also fullerton and seal beach.

sad to see no more RI these days, even though they are still around.They were a premier aviation and space company... rocketdyne produced the F1 engine for the satrun project.

yeah... downey was happening in the 1960's and 1970's. also fullerton and seal beach.

sad to see no more RI these days, even though they are still around.They were a premier aviation and space company... rocketdyne produced the F1 engine for the satrun project.

Yep dad was at Downey 50's, 60's and retired late 70's, my brother started at Downey but was also at others as well. After he retired he was brought back to work again at Seal Beach I believe, they paid for his housing to bring him out of retirement since his home was in Palm Desert hours away and he was paid very well from what he told me. He is a lot older than me, while I was still a toddler he was in the Marines.

At 2:56 UTC July 21, 1969,the
famous words "That's one small step for _a_ man, one giant leap for
Coca-Cola !!!" were not spoken, and he did not get filthy rich.
My father worked for Rockwell Collins up to 1983, part time after that. They had a big celebration in 1994, for the 25th anniversary of the moon landing.

I was nine years old when Apollo 11 took off. My dad took myself and a quasi-friend of mine (his good friends son who was a couple years older than me so from HIS perspective, I might have been uncool to a 13/14 year old)

Anyways, Dad took a little cassette recorder and taped various parts, including the blast off.

Forward to a handful of years ago, he calls & says he found this old tape in his closet and did I want it? (duh)

I got it and found someone who evidently does tape restoration. I wanted to make a CD copy of it and didn't know if the tape would turn to dust or not. I sent it off to this guy.

Bottom line, the tape worked and now I have it on CD. You can turn it up and if you can tune out the tape hiss, it will STILL make you sit back and go wow with the power it still provides through our beloved speakers.

Dad was in town for the day (lives about 2 1/2 hours away) and I pulled the CD out & played it for him. Probably the first time he's heard it since the day in 1969. As he was leaving he thought it was appropriate that we played it in honor of Neil Armstrong.

Worked for me.

btw, if anyone would care for a copy of it, I've ripped it to my hard drive and can email it. (not that I think anyone really wants to hear my squeaky voice as a nine year old) The best part is the blast off itself.