Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Rarely send checks to anyone......everything done on line.  I remember my late wife told me how easy and quick it was.  I later tried it and she is so right.  Never write out an envelope or lick a stamp. 

I know a guy who is tech adverse and won't try it.  He even has his SS check mailed to him😑

I never liked the idea of putting my info out on the web but suppose I'll have to if that's the only dependable way to do it.  At least that way you get a confirmation number.  Ill be saving the cost of stamps too.

A year or so ago I bought something from a fellow forum member.  I mailed him a check immediately after we settled on a price.  That weekend he boxed up and sent out what I had bought.  In a few days I had the item.  It took almost 3 weeks for him to get my check.  It was to the point that I was going to cancel that check and send another.  When he finally got it he could see the day I sent it by the postmark.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

no idea why.  I've bern mailing bill payment for years.  No more.  Nothing pisses me off more than a late fee when I know it wasn't my fault.

At one point my credit card company started mailing my bills to me so late that they arrived after their due date, then they charged me late fees. When I complained, their response was, "You are responsible for on-time payment, whether the bill comes or not." I changed credit card companies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I never liked the idea of putting my info out on the web but suppose I'll have to if that's the only dependable way to do it.  At least that way you get a confirmation number.  Ill be saving the cost of stamps too.

Hey Carl,

Do you balance your bank account online like I do?

I set up the bills to pay and it's not like the bank doesn't know me or the entities I'm paying. When I set it up there were dropdown menus where I found the correct address for the entity.

When it was easy with win xp I set up DNSCrypt that keeps even your isp from knowing where you go online. Just checked for the first time in a long time and it hasn't been updated since 2017... so somebody paid them or msft breaks their setup.

Got my router running in whitelist mode so nobody else can use the wifi so best thing is to setup your DNS with opendns or 1.1.1.1 that will at least offer some protection. Even google's dns servers offer some protection that any  ISP one would not bother to do. There are easy directions at their site, think they work with ios too.

5 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Hey Carl,

Do you balance your bank account online like I do?

I set up the bills to pay and it's not like the bank doesn't know me or the entities I'm paying. When I set it up there were dropdown menus where I found the correct address for the entity.

I balance my checkbook at home when they send me my monthly statement. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Thank you. I've seem to have good karma and admit I no longer use the post office for much.

I dont believe in karma.  You think your mail will be delivered because your a good guy or did a good deed?  Lol.

I'm with you though. Ill be using them less in the future.

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

I balance my checkbook at home when they send me my monthly statement. 

OK my parents an accountant and a bookkeeper did the same, my mother refused to switch over the email statements. I still want statements on paper I can hold too, that won't ever change!

• Like 1

I can't say I've had problems with paying over the net..

My supplies for my helicopter hobby were mostly all from HongKong.... and I would reliably get packages in 10 working days from ordering.

I just don't like the idea of paying over the net

I pay bills over the phone or hand a check to a person... in the case of our water....

I'm a pita to the phone co., too. I have a landline

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

A year or so ago I bought something from a fellow forum member.  I mailed him a check immediately after we settled on a price.  That weekend he boxed up and sent out what I had bought.  In a few days I had the item.  It took almost 3 weeks for him to get my check.  It was to the point that I was going to cancel that check and send another.  When he finally got it he could see the day I sent it by the postmark.

sounds just like my story

My sister paid for the items and I owed her. She had to wait for a couple weeks.

looks good enough to eat, Mike

scanning thru the yahoo "news"

Basement band make good... the story of....

Is that so unusual?

most rock musicians had to play/practice somewhere...  Comes a time when you outgrow the kitchen or living room. What's left?... garage and basement

if we were feeling flush, we would rent generators and set up out in the desert for the evening. That was fun. Not really a party. Maybe a half dozen people beside the folks manning instruments. More a jam session.  Some folks were more serious about it than others... we has 2 drummers, 2 bass,3 guitar, and a synthesizer... starting to sound like the GratefulDead now...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

most rock musicians had to play/practice somewhere...  Comes a time when you outgrow the kitchen or living room. What's left?... garage and basement

if we were feeling flush, we would rent generators and set up out in the desert for the evening. That was fun. Not really a party. Maybe a half dozen people beside the folks manning instruments. More a jam session.  Some folks were more serious about it than others... we has 2 drummers, 2 bass,3 guitar, and a synthesizer... starting to sound like the GratefulDead now...

Did you find that each guitar player would keep inching up the volume, in order to be louder than the other guitars, until nobody could hear what anyone was saying?  I was at a jam session where the guitars got so loud that the amps were feeding back on each other, so that without even playing, the sound in the air was really loud.  At that point, they had to turn them down, because it was silly loud.

• Haha 2

always

---------------------------

well... wife gets to see kids today/// a$$holes puckered

it will only take one case to shut the school down. She's the only teacher and 1 case makes a 5% infection rate. a "hotspot"

kinda slept in. Got up at 4:30. Made coffee. Washed dishes, fed the cats. Cleaned the cat box... and wake the wife. Now I idle until she heads out.

No plan for today. Lots I should be doing. What I would like?  Go to the lake...with a boat.

Tue/Wed are Dr appts

She has one tomorrow. Mine is Wed. Drive halfway to Phoenix to see the cardiologist.Been feeling good and am thinking [hoping] treatment may not be necessary...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Islander said:

Did you find that each guitar player would keep inching up the volume, in order to be louder than the other guitars, until nobody could hear what anyone was saying?  I was at a jam session where the guitars got so loud that the amps were feeding back on each other, so that without even playing, the sound in the air was really loud.  At that point, they had to turn them down, because it was silly loud.

I heard a story about a theater that has been hosting live music for decades, mostly hard rock. The owner got tired of constantly yelling at sound guys, band members, for constantly upping the volume on instruments.....so he went all acoustic. He claimed the change didn't affect the profitability of his business at all, and a lot of the hard stuff sounds great on acoustic. He only allows ambient mics on stage.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

I heard a story about a theater that has been hosting live music for decades, mostly hard rock. The owner got tired of constantly yelling at sound guys, band members, for constantly upping the volume on instruments.....so he went all acoustic. He claimed the change didn't affect the profitability of his business at all, and a lot of the hard stuff sounds great on acoustic. He only allows ambient mics on stage.

My neighbors started a petition for me to go all acoustic as well.......................but I put a big VETO stamp on it.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

My neighbors started a petition for me to go all acoustic as well.

my guess is that they have never heard a horn section. 

One of my dad's friends boys was learning to play trumpet.... He got complaints about a car horn going off all afternoon.

Acoustic doesn't mean quiet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1