Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I used to work as a motorbike mechanic in my twenties.  The problem was that it was a seasonal job in Toronto, since business tapered off in the Fall and pretty much died until March or April.  As well, we were too far south to do much snowmobile business.  I noticed that bike mechanics could barely afford to buy themselves new bikes, so I joined the railway and became a locomotive mechanic,

That meant working on big GM-EMD (General Motor — Electromotive Division) engines.  They were V-16 single overhead cam 2-strokes, with 4 valves in each head, and intake ports all the way around the cylinders.  The twin supercharged ones made 2000 hp, while the turbocharged engines made 3000 hp.  They had 645 cubic inches per cylinder, with peak power at 900 rpm and redline at 1000 rpm.  Later, we got the V-12/710s, wth, you guessed it, 710 cubic inches per cylinder.  Those V-12s made 3150 hp, and had a computerized self test mode, so it could dyno test itself.  It was fun to rev the engine up to top rpm while sitting stationary and watching the horsepower numbers on the display climb up to rated hp.

A buddy of mine still works there, and now they have electronic fuel injectors, instead of the old mechanical ones, which were 8 or 9 inches long.  The power is up to around 4000 hp now, which causes some issues with wear on the tracks.  Everything is a compromise, right?  

I had long since moved on to big steam turbines in a power plant.  It was literally an electricity factory, where we made the power for the provincial grid.  The turbine room, where all 8 300-megawatt turbines were, was 400 metres/1320 ft. long.  People at the far end of the room looked really tiny.  The room was 8 storeys high and about 100 metres/105 yards wide.  Everything was too big, and rusted in place, so strain injuries were common.  We were like ants working on V-8 car engines, in terms of scale.  It was challenging, and sort of fun, and paid well.

Eventually, though, it was made obsolete by a new nuclear power plant, where each turbine could generate 900 megawatts.  The coal-fired 300-megawatt boilers used about a dump truck full of coal per hour, while the 900-megawatt nuclear-powered boilers used about a golf bag full of nuclear fuel per day.  There was no contest, especially when you consider the pollution that burning all that coal produced.

I just thought that might be interesting for the technical-minded among us.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Islander said:

I used to work as a motorbike mechanic in my twenties.  The problem was that it was a seasonal job in Toronto, since business tapered off in the Fall and pretty much died until March or April.  As well, we were too far south to do much snowmobile business.  I noticed that bike mechanics could barely afford to buy themselves new bikes, so I joined the railway and became a locomotive mechanic,

That meant working on big GM-EMD (General Motor — Electromotive Division) engines.  They were V-16 single overhead cam 2-strokes, with 4 valves in each head, and intake ports all the way around the cylinders.  The twin supercharged ones made 2000 hp, while the turbocharged engines made 3000 hp.  They had 645 cubic inches per cylinder, with peak power at 900 rpm and redline at 1000 rpm.  Later, we got the V-12/710s, wth, you guessed it, 710 cubic inches per cylinder.  Those V-12s made 3150 hp, and had a computerized self test mode, so it could dyno test itself.  It was fun to rev the engine up to top rpm while sitting stationary and watching the horsepower numbers on the display climb up to rated hp.

A buddy of mine still works there, and now they have electronic fuel injectors, instead of the old mechanical ones, which were 8 or 9 inches long.  The power is up to around 4000 hp now, which causes some issues with wear on the tracks.  Everything is a compromise, right?  

I had long since moved on to big steam turbines in a power plant.  It was literally an electricity factory, where we made the power for the provincial grid.  The turbine room, where all 8 300-megawatt turbines were, was 400 metres/1320 ft. long.  People at the far end of the room looked really tiny.  The room was 8 storeys high and about 100 metres/105 yards wide.  Everything was too big, and rusted in place, so strain injuries were common.  We were like ants working on V-8 car engines, in terms of scale.  It was challenging, and sort of fun, and paid well.

Eventually, though, it was made obsolete by a new nuclear power plant, where each turbine could generate 900 megawatts.  The coal-fired 300-megawatt boilers used about a dump truck full of coal per hour, while the 900-megawatt nuclear-powered boilers used about a golf bag full of nuclear fuel per day.  There was no contest, especially when you consider the pollution that burning all that coal produced.

I just thought that might be interesting for the technical-minded among us.

so you're saying that the ketchup candy canes ARE a good idea after all?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Bubo said:

If I ever move somewhere safe to ride,

I will buy one of these.

Every mechanic (of any kind) I have asked about the bike, offers to work on it if they get to ride it.

Like a Ducati, lots of torque

2001 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro

TYPE: Naked bike
Engine and transmission
Displacement: 992.00 ccm (60.53 cubic inches) Power: 95
Engine type: V2 Stroke: 4
Bore x stroke: 90.0 x 78.0 mm (3.5 x 3.1 inches) Gearbox: 5-speed
Cooling system: Air Compression:  
Physical measures and capacities
Dry weight: 224.0 kg (493.8 pounds)
Seat height: 790 mm (31.1 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Wheelbase: 1,475 mm (58.1 inches)
Brakes, suspension, Frame and wheels
Front tyre dimensions: 120/70-ZR17
Rear tyre dimensions: 160/60-ZR17
Front brakes: Dual disc
Rear brakes: Single disc
Other specs
Fuel capacity: 18.00 litres (4.76 gallons)
Starter: Electric

moto-guzzi-v10-centauro-2001-5.jpg

Well, they are “special” because they are unique with limited US dealers. Quality has improved under the ownership of Piaggio.

I owned its big brother, a 2012 Griso 1200 four valve. It was a fun bike to ride, damn smooth around 65-75. With a limited number of dealers/mechanics for Guzzi, I would indeed let them ride the bike for free labor — 😏

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, richieb said:

No offense intended - what does ketchup have to do with fine dining? 

I'd like to take the time to explain the finer points of gastronomy to you; but I'm currently watching The Twilight Zone. You'll just have to take my word for it. Genius is often hard to understand. But, Merry Christmas to you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When we were stationed in Italy a lot of the guys had 650 Bonnevilles

All of the Americans and Italins I knew with bikes wanted a Laverda 1000

People would take notice when one went by

This was the Bike in Italy in 1974

laverda_2.jpg

Laverda 1000 3C Triple
Years produced:
 1974-1981
Total production: 2,300 (approx.)
Claimed power: 85hp @ 7,250rpm
Top speed: 133mph (est.)
Engine type: 981cc overhead cam, air-cooled inline triple
Weight (dry, est.): 225kg (495lb)
Price then: $3,900
Price now: $4,000-$8,000 
MPG: 38 (period test)

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-italian-motorcycles/laverda-1000-3c

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I'd like to take the time to explain the finer points of gastronomy to you; but I'm currently watching The Twilight Zone. You'll just have to take my word for it. Genius is often hard to understand. But, Merry Christmas to you. 

And a Merry to you Sir. May your stocking runneth over with Heinz — 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, richieb said:

A women with fine taste. All Guzzi's are shaft driven - 

After I got badly injured and stopped riding, I sold four of my bikes to an all-girl heavy metal band called Shaft Drive.  I’ve never heard them play, though.

• Like 3