Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Good morning - afternoon my friends.....   :emotion-44: :emotion-44:

Me, dad and Chris just came back from a breakfast OUT, a breakfast / luncheon restaurant of the old fashioned type.   Waitresses that call you 'Darlin' and 'Honey Lamb'.....   always fun  :smile:      Then, came home to read the latest postings etc...

On cars....my dad has a beautiful white Grand Marquis of 2003 vintage..  Drove that a couple times already while here.  Brand new tires on it, only 50k on the OD, and of course, rust free being here in the south...     MKP,  that '86 Accord which was passed around between three of us long friends had a problem when I bought it in 1999...   My buddy could NOT figure why it had an erratic idle for the couple years that he owned it.    

HA, after owning it for a few days, I looked into this.........guess what I found????    That damn idle screw had fallen out of it's orifice and was sitting there undisturbed for all that time!    I simply screwed it back in and VOLA, idle was smooth and calmed down nicely.   

My bud was embarrassed that he never found this for as long as he had it...   And this is a fellow that owned a show winning Buick GN and now owns a 2004 SVT Cobra (only 15k on OD. he bought new)...

Thanks for the info on the Kilgen Dave...

Ok Mark, time to nap!,  here, I am about to perform some IT work on dad's computer.

OH!, forgot to mention, the new Dayton Subwoofer that arrived here yesterday is installed to the soundbar and sound wonderful after a little tuning and volume matching.   Movies sound complete now, even if it is only 2.1 :emotion-21:and something my 87 year old dad loves :D

I am also entertaining an upgrade for Music Hall...........a Cambridge Audio preamp...  I hear excellent things about it, and wonder if anyone else knows about them, or owns one ??    For $1900 it should be pretty much the cat's azz :wink:

More later..............enjoy your day ...............I sure am feeling retired down here :emotion-46:  :emotion-29:

Edited by Tigerman
  • Like 8

Enjoy Tigerman!

A friend owned a 70's Grand Marquis back in the day. Nice ride. Owns a 2000 now and it is decent enough. Yep, a little preventative tuning and looking around for fluid levels is a good thing. Being up on a lift at a reputable independent oil changer with a word it is new to you cAN BE A WAY TO CHECK out the chassis, tie rod ends, driveshaft/universals for play, etc. That is if they are familiar with big cars. Read old enough...

Parts can be cheap if shop around first.

On a second note. Got the 2000 V70 SE tax,tagged and titled. Need to do the same under the hood, and did do a first inspection after drive from Tampa to here Monday PM. So far, good enough for 300+ miles now. Found some info on it using Vintech for a small fee online but, rejected my Carfax report on it via debit card. Really want to see the 46? service records on it, mainly for the timing belt change,etc.

Oh well, Nancy in her car, a Volvo V70, chauffeuring herself to her sisters for the weekend. That means, 220 miles less on me by finally having replaced my previous car and motorcycle. Back to a 2 car family again. Ice cold A/C and headlight wipers, if I go far enough north one day. right now 550 X 2 on sat/Sun is enough for me. Plus, it is a wagon of course where I can haul things like let's see...speakers,lolol

And maybe most important of all, I do not have to drink diet beer followed by el cheapo liquors. Cannot afford any D&D in my life.

Maybe it will last a short while! The car that is... :)

Now to the store to p/u my provisions for this PM. Yayyyy

Edit: add 120 miles for to and from work X 2 days.

Double Edit: Miller Time

Edited by billybob
  • Like 7

Here is a pic of the questionable fellow or lady(cannot tell yet):

Small ding on front and pass. side lower panel slight crease and oh, someone

painted the back bumper with silver paint, I can do better. The clear or polycoat that they put over paint job back then

peels slowly over time. If this is a keeper, I may have to bring out the rubbing compound:

post-26350-0-67440000-1440195295_thumb.j

• Like 10

looks clean Billybob.

Will try to remind to take pic of here after I can get some things done, like washing it. Think it will be alright if I pay some attention to even more than the looks, thanks. Maybe having 2 of basically the same may help me in troubleshooting, copying, codes, etc. May breakdown and get a scanner that has the correct codes. Bet they have come down some. Guessing!

Hope you are well BigStewMan, and best to. :)

• Like 7

Morning Gang

Another nice Sat, swapmeet cruising day ahead, farmer Bud wants a survey transit, see them every week, maybe a fancy laser leveling one.

Down to 14 fires in the state, not much left to burn in Ca, Washington's turn, they have 30+ at the momment.

66 in the cave, damm nice, 90 tops today.

Coffee X 3 coming up, still thinning out this Whole Bean stuff W/Folgers.

post-57941-0-02880000-1440250435.jpg

• Like 9

Happy Sat. gang. Got some georgeous Colorado weather today and an old friend from Longmont dropping by. Better half got us some tickets for an outdoor ballet tonight. I'm more into music than the dance thing but should be fun anyway. Told her I might get a tutu (?) to wear to the event. Decidedly negative reaction so I guess I'll wear khakis.

Have a great day and cheers.

• Like 9

Yes, Happy Saturday, the weekend is here for us w/e warriors,lol

Billybob, I have had a lot of success pulling out dings with one of these these kits and a glue gun. Pretty amazing what you can do with one

Dang, I bet you could do quite a lot alright. I may just live with it for awhile to see if it is a keeper or... :unsure: lol

• Like 5

Good afternoon my friends........... :emotion-44: :emotion-44:

Still enjoying a post breakfast Melitta Dark Roast from my Pyrex unit :emotion-21:

Mark, with the lack of water, I wonder just what these farmers you mention so often actually 'farm' ?  Are they animal farmers?  Seems crops would be out of the question without irrigation huh ?

Ok, today is our final day in warm/humid western N.C.   Dad hangin' around trying to get new tires for mom's Crown Vic, (actually took off to get that done) Chris in the mix somewhere, me, sitting at the dinning table writing this and listening to some Spotify on this laptop...Gershwin from a recent Naxos release :emotion-29: :emotion-29: ....   

Ordered another classic re-release on RCA Victor from Sound Stage Direct..   This one is a 200 gram. version with care taken to get the album cover art and sound mastered,  all just so...    This from the Boston Symphony Orchestra and the famous Symphony Hall acoustics and organ back in the day.....

Got the Mariner all vacuumed up once again, and the organization of things ready to be brought out.    But, one more night of cooking, so the knives and cutting board stay out for the evening...  :smile:

All for the moment, more shortly, enjoy your Saturday everyone...

.................Gary

• Like 7

Yard work done and a nice lunch....alone.  LF had tennis this morning and then a bike ride.  Jake sleeping in the bushes. That dog must sleep 20 hours a day.  Need to find him a job.

Going down town to hear Joe Smothers tonight 7-9.  He use to be part of the Frosty Morn Band playing with Doc and Merle Watson.  Heard him many times.  Will buy one of his CDs and have him sign it for the LF.

Gary you should come to the coast in late September after it cools a bit and all the tourist have gone home.  My favorite time of the year for the beach.  October was almost perfect last year and dogs are allowed on the beach beginning Oct.1. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend and as always.......

Cheers Ladies :emotion-44: and Gents

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 6

Hey there Chuck.   That sounds nice, the sun is already at a different angle by then right?   Jake, a retired doggie for sure ;)  DO enjoy your show tonight and report back to us when you can....   Any photos ??

Come over to RTM this coming weekend and spin some magnetic media with me ok ??   Been a while since fired my Teac up, but she's always ready :D

Ok......just loading photos up on the 'Bucket' from some of our dinners and breakfasts and will do some posting over in Fine Food and Music....   Dad all tied up today with the new tire install on the CV and NOT back yet.....    We were to power wash the cars today, well, maybe later before dark....

back on the side.......nosh will be soon..........dinner of leftovers from the week's cooking.... :emotion-46:

• Like 7

Evening gang....

Just got in from dinner...me and the wife went to a local place.... I got crab cakes and she got some seafood dish, shrimp. fish, scallops and a little crab cake....This was the 1st time going there...it was "ok" not the worst...not the best..

Soooo here's a update on the old Honda van that I'm getting my daughter into. If you guys remember I got a replacement trans/eng for it. Put it all in and the trans was no good. Well last week they sent me out another trans. I got it off the the truck, found a broken solenoid on it...no biggie...swapped it, didn't see any other external issues. 

We stayed late last night so I could put the replacement trans in. We got the van in the shop. I dropped out the front cross member and prepped the van for it's new/used trans. I got the replacement trans over to the van and started to get that ready to go in. The trans had the starter attached to it, so I pulled that off...I just makes it easier...when the starter came off, what do I see... the trans has a big F#@&*+! crack in the case!! WTF....this is not happening to me.... I was ready to really loose it. 

I had to walk out side the shop to gather my thoughts.......what am I going to do???? Let me tell ya...I got the old/original trans I took out...the one with 204000 miles on it and put that back in the van!! That trans shifted and worked fine.

The only reason I did all this was...cuz the old eng used oil...alot of oil... and I figured the easy way out was a used eng..and while I'm at it, I should put a lower mileage trans in it. So that's why I went for the eng/trans package. 

I stayed at the shop til 1:00 Friday night. Got 90% of it done. I went in this afternoon a got it all finished up. Took it out on the test drive....ahhhh shifts soooo fine, works soooo smooth. I'm just glad this cluster "F" is over.

My wife and I were talking and she said " could you imagine if this had been a customers vehicle".... And that is why I rarely do used engine or transmission replacements.

I will take the van to state inspection next week....it should be down hill from here...

OK gang I'll catch you guys in the A.M. with some coffee...good night all

MKP :-)

• Like 9

MKP, What can someone say. Your good intentions were gone awry. Not a fault of you, for doing something real good for your daughter. You words indicate near smoke or better about to come out of you from the disappoint.

Not going to give a pro mechanic any advice. Would say it comes with the territory. You would know that better than myself.

Doing a great service for the people so, am for one grateful there are still  dedicated technicians that knows your cars.

Lol, Sounds like you already knew about that used part thing but, yes wheels must go round.

Thanks for the post!

Edit: Oh BTW, good catch on taking off the starter for making it easier. Least it wasn't buttoned up yet.

Edited by billybob
  • Like 6