Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

typical "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" story
 I was talking to Dean of "Jan and Dean" one day...his wife had told him that i had the LP "Jan and Dean Meet Batman."  He thought that was so cool and admitted that even he didn't even have that one.

Life on the Sea of Tranquility must be fascinating.  Great story.

• Like 5

I was talking to Dean of "Jan and Dean" one day...his wife had told him that i had the LP "Jan and Dean Meet Batman."  He thought that was so cool and admitted that even he didn't even have that one.

that's GREAT stuff right there

JANANDDEANBAT.jpg

• Like 9

Good morning everyone from a lazy North Carolina morning (0;

Lots going on here with car news etc.

Mark, that is really something.... I hung around with a couple of laser gurus back in the day (early 80ies) and one of the fellows was working on a real laser gun... He had the neodymium rod and a xenon lamp to excite it!! I didn't hang with them much more after that, as I thought it was getting 'dangerous' with the stuff they were coming up with and planning on experimenting with...

Ok Chuck, I am surprised there is not a Fatz in your area, as they seem to be a southern chain of restaurants especially in this state...Just looked them up, seems there are locations east of Charlotte but not near the east coast. However, nearest to you would be in South Carolina on Myrtle Beach.... Others for information are in eastern TN. and Georgia key cities...

This morning, I made a simple omelette for everyone, but it all started with the coffee... When dad and I went out shopping yesterday, I found what I needed, and that was Melitta coffee but a DARK roast which we don't have up north. Best of all, it was only $3.50 a can (bought 2) vs. $6.49 in MA.

Here is a photo as the well traveled Pyrex percolator from home, does it's tasty job... Note the color of the propane flame, always seems a deeper blue then the natural gas...

Ok, off to South Carolina soon to do some shopping for some fine fresh ingredients for the next couple nights dinners, S.C. only 12 miles from here.....

Enjoy the day everyone....

......Garyimage.jpg1_395.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for that Carl,  I get that, as mentioned, these burners are smaller then our range at home (our biggest is 18,000 BTU), but these little buggers give an amazingly HOT flame for sure !  :)  So, I always proceed with caution..

Ok, getting it together for our little trip south...   More later...

• Like 4

Note the color of the propane flame, always seems a deeper blue then the natural gas...

I believe propane has more "energy" than natural gas.  My home generator will produce 20kW on propane but only 18kW on natural gas.

Yes, Propane is much better all around, cleaner, more BTUs for the buck.

• Like 5

Good morning everyone from a lazy North Carolina morning (0;

Lots going on here with car news etc.

Mark, that is really something.... I hung around with a couple of laser gurus back in the day (early 80ies) and one of the fellows was working on a real laser gun... He had the neodymium rod and a xenon lamp to excite it!! I didn't hang with them much more after that, as I thought it was getting 'dangerous' with the stuff they were coming up with and planning on experimenting with...

Ok Chuck, I am surprised there is not a Fatz in your area, as they seem to be a southern chain of restaurants especially in this state...Just looked them up, seems there are locations east of Charlotte but not near the east coast. However, nearest to you would be in South Carolina on Myrtle Beach.... Others for information are in eastern TN. and Georgia key cities...

This morning, I made a simple omelette for everyone, but it all started with the coffee... When dad and I went out shopping yesterday, I found what I needed, and that was Melitta coffee but a DARK roast which we don't have up north. Best of all, it was only $3.50 a can (bought 2) vs. $6.49 in MA.

Here is a photo as the well traveled Pyrex percolator from home, does it's tasty job... Note the color of the propane flame, always seems a deeper blue then the natural gas...

Ok, off to South Carolina soon to do some shopping for some fine fresh ingredients for the next couple nights dinners, S.C. only 12 miles from here.....

Enjoy the day everyone....

......Garyimage.jpg1_395.jpg

Well im no Rambo, i was just growing up in LA and my Fav past time from age 10 was surplus, dad used to tell mom he was taking me to his plant, sometimes he did, i much prefered being dropped off at the surplus with a couple bucks.

After years doing that i pretty much knew everyone's inventory, one day i saw that Laser, but no power supply, ask the guy to stash it for me, it just looked too cool not to want it. sure enough im looking through junk under tarps in the yard and started putting two and two together. Bingo.

after years in the garage my Bud Art and i thought what the hell, one time out, never took it out again, mainly due to no big bad azz generator that it would need.....maybe someday ill find a military Genset.

Had some friends into Ruby Rod lasers, they raised some hell and got into trouble.

Me, i always played where no one could get hurt.    

• Like 5

Morning Gang

Wednesday eh? had to check.

90s, and down to 18 fires in the state.

Mr Crow is DONE, well everything i want to do at this time anyway.

He looks pretty good for my first moded/repoduction.

I suppose ill hang that towel rack the wife has been asking for three weeks......... :o

Pic's to follow of Mr Crow as soon as cup three is finished.

post-57941-0-69520000-1439998761_thumb.j

Edited by minermark
  • Like 9

JANANDDEANBAT.jpg

On a sad note, Batgirl just died. (Yvonne Craig)

• Like 2

Note the color of the propane flame, always seems a deeper blue then the natural gas...

I believe propane has more "energy" than natural gas.  My home generator will produce 20kW on propane but only 18kW on natural gas.

Yep, for sure propane has more energy per molecule or however they measure it. When I built my house I had to convert the clothes dryer to propane(was natural gas) and the new cooktop came with spare installable propane orifices to replace the NG ones it came with. It was still hard to control the amount of heat it produces, hard to simmer/slow cook anything. But an appliance guy we called to get help to try and turn it down low showed my wife and I a trick. Once you get the burner lit you turn the dial back to the area between the "OFF" and "LITE" and it restricts the flow of gas even lower then the "LOW" setting. It's a touchy adjustment but at least it works on our cooktop.

• Like 5

Once you get the burner lit you turn the dial back to the area between the "OFF" and "LITE" and it restricts the flow of gas even lower then the "LOW" setting. It's a touchy adjustment but at least it works on our cooktop.

I've done that on my propane gas grill.  It only has 2 settings, hot and hotter.

• Like 4

Evening Gang

Mr Crow is pretty much ready to roost in the living room.

Not firing him at the moment, getting a voice changer circuit up and going.

I used to have that kind of stuff laying around for years, bout time i play with some new fangled Chips for sound anyway, as a kid i had UFO sound(s) run to speakers in the trees.

Had to be the only kid in my neighborhood w/120Ac in my tree fort. 

post-57941-0-63920000-1440035183_thumb.j

• Like 9

JANANDDEANBAT.jpg

Thank You JEFKlipsch…i just downloaded that album on iTunes (my original vinyl didn’t survive my youth)…thanks for the trip down memory lane.  Now, if i can find a copy of Herbie the Love Bug LP my childhood will be completely revisited.

• Like 5

Evening gang...

Just got caught up on the posts...didn't get a chance to post this morning...

Man it was hot and sticky today....and crazy busy at the shop....wrong parts and all...only drank one coffee this morning..

Joe...really sorry to hear about the trans shitt... that does suck.....I'm no Ford guy, but I don't think those old Taurus had the best trans to start with....so going used will be a big roll of the dice... Good luck my man..

Jeff...sounds like you made out with the 00 Civic...they are some good old cars...still got quite a few that come to the shop.

I see you put some fresh ignition parts in it, and at 15 years old I say that's a good idea for sure. One thing you also might want to consider doing, is a new ignition coil. these coils have a high failure rate. Back in the day I would have one/two toe-in's a week with cars that had that coil in it. That was a very common coil used in the Honda/Acura line. The problem was people would not get there spark plugs done. Those plugs in those old cars were 30k plugs. After 30k the plug gap would increase and make that coil work really hard, then the coil would just burn through. Even my regular customers I would replace the coil at about 120k. I would do a complete ignition upgrade: cap,rotor,wires,coil,plugs. @ the 120k mark that would have been the forth plug replacement.

They are easy to do...The OEM make on that coil is TEC.

I gonna throw one more thing at ya....... "Timing Belt" ...... yea there's only 60K on it.....but that belt is going on 16 years old..

Did the car come with any history??? Repairs/ maintenance???

Good luck with with your new ride..

ok my buds...I'm gonna get me some rest....cuz I'll be doing it all again tomorrow...

Good night all....catch ya in the A.M.

MKP :-)

• Like 7

On a sad note, Batgirl just died. (Yvonne Craig)

Very sad indeed. If Batgirl wasn't enough for my young libido, the green Orion slave girl on Star Trek sent me into overdrive.

I could never forget Marta's line "he is my lover and I have to kill him."

• Like 3