Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Good morning one and all from North Carolina !!    Yes, we made the trip with only two fuel stops, and 13.5 hours to get here...   Lovely dinner home cooked by my dad and step mom, which was ready for us when we walked in the door :) ...

Went to bed early (drank too much wine with dinner), now just finishing up the coffee, which I brought my Pyrex 'flame ware' all glass perculator and used dad's dark roast.   Cooking with a propane range is a bit different then our natural gas range back home....   The flame burners are small, BUT, the heat is much higher, so it is always go with caution when we do up the 'gourmet' dishes for dinner ^_^ ...

Just read through all the posts since my last one....

Mark, that is very cool with the Co2 lasers, invisible BUT deadly stuff right  :unsure:  ?   I have a harmless HeNi made by what was Aerotech, 7 mw. polarized - hard seal...   They are supposed to last about 10 years.   I bought mine back in 1981, used it in our rock band with first surface rotating mirrors, and fogmachines on stage.   Built my own control console for it as well, with the laser 'cabinet' supported by a high end vid cam tripod with liquid head bearing....    It all STILL WORKS!!   I believe the start voltage to get the laser running is 2400 !!   Ok on your camera's and trash pickers....interesting.  :wacko:

Chuck, we are all the way on the south western corner of your state....   Only about 12 miles from the S. Carolina boarder..  (Mooresboro) which you can look up easily...   Funny thing is, when I did a Google Earth and the 'street view'  I was shocked to see that my father was captured by the Google camera car while he was on the tractor mowing the front lawn !!!!   Now, I just went back to check on that, and they replaced that with an OLDER driveby set of photos...   Strange, because they usually scrub out peoples faces and license plates when they are caught on camera..

Wardsweb, EXCELLENT work there for sure!, of course, you'll keep us posted with the project via photos.   Can't wait to see the components mounted to it.   I love the look of the more simple designs used for today's TTs, my RP-6 included ;) ...

Ok, got to run out with dad to do some shopping...   Weather is rainy and only around 70!   What a difference, while driving in yesterday, the temp out on the highway had reached  94 when we got in town....

So, there is the catch up report, for you all, and I will post again soon..

Enjoy your day my friends, AND music as always,  I'm feeling a nice retirement like vaca here :D

......Gary  :emotion-29:

"invisible BUT deadly stuff right ?"

As memory serves, C02 w/exotic gas of some type, slight blue/purple tint to the 2" Beam, yeah it's that big, Capactior Bank,liquid cooling, and HV control box took up the entire bed of a chevy S10.

Built by Hughes aerospace, USAF/NASA ID Tags

My buddy Art had a full size truck pretty well filled w/Cables/Generators X2.

Dry Lake was 1 1/2 W  X  4 miles long, we figured after dark would be best but we were set up by 3pm, so we then went to the other side "1 /12 across"  Located some nice size bolders up the hillside about 50' figured we would Aim high just in case someone woud be out there, went back and alined the housing with a telescope, and went ahead a fired it up. beam on for aprox 15Sec and through our telescope could see the rock blasting out "Chips", that's really all it did even after one Min. we shut down.

Had some time to kill before nightfall so we go out to our target, the way the rock was Chipping out, we were boring a hole throgh it aprox 2' diameter. by nightfall and a day of drinking/shooting, i had a thought.

Lets Hold the Generator throttle wide open, charge the Cap Banks, then fire a 2sec pulse :o The sparks/sound/cracking thunder hit us all at the same instant from the target, OK this is what it was designed for, PULSE, not a steady beam.

after letting everything cool down it's off to the target w/colman lanterns, the last 100' driving up to the target on the dry lake was covered with sharp rocks, thousands of all sizes :o we did not need to climb the hill side, we could clearly see we split the bolder in half right where we were making the hole earlier. this bolder was the size of a volkswagon.

We learned later we were superheating the water content within the rock, steam is what fractured it. :D   

• Like 6

Evening Gang

In the cave w/Mr Crow.

Coming along and will really be done in a few hours, minus some electronics/program ill install down the road.

Mr Crow has got the look, every bit of the TV show, wife will like her new "Art Work".

Servo is available in Kit form and is on the way.

If i do anything w/servo, Crow and Servo can/will have a conversation with each other on seperate coffee tables.

Kind of like look at each other and talk about whoever is in the room kind of thing.

Taco time is Done, Corona is due. 

• Like 5

Yes, yes Steve..... Ok off to dinner, dad has the car waiting for us ;0) More when we get back.... (by the way, we brought down our nosh items, assorted olives, smoked salmon and a new garlic hummus from WF we wanted to try....)

"garlic hummus" Hell Yeah :excl::emotion-21:

• Like 8

Morning all another sleepless night,

Kind of a crappy day today tranny went out in the taurus, cost more to replace than the car is worth  :angry: I will never own another automatic transmission as long as i live

The hits just keep coming it seems, have to investigate scrapping a car here in NC although all the local scrapyards appear to be shut down.................

Later

• Like 5

There are more used Taurus cars out there than about any other kind so I think a good used trans is available. Also, shop around some. There is a guy that does good work out of his basement somewhere near you for cheap. I always try to find that "guy".

Example: I backed into my Sister n Laws van last month. It sucked but it was mine.

1st quote to repair $2,400.00

2nd quote was       $2,040.00

3rd quote was        $1,040.00

That last guy was who all the used car lots use for body work. You just need to find "that" guy. :)

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 7

researching the trans will show that a used one is sketchy at best, this particular transmission was a known problematic one by ford that they chose to leave in the cars anyway and just eat the repairs as needed through warranty (the things we find out after getting a car)

then theres is that whole problem with no real income at the moment, it makes things interesting to say the least

• Like 5

Hello,

2nd Volvo update. Had to buy out of town to get what I wanted at a good price. Stars aligned and have a decent daily rider with acceptable miles off of the CL. More to follow! Made for a higher mileage weekend for me. Recouping yesterday... :) Took me a half hour here to catchup with you all... B)

• Like 9

Morning all.

Joe, sorry to hear about your car, that just sucks.  I hope you find a solution that works for you soon.

Steve, I'm so glad your hiatus was temporary.  I can always count on you for a chuckle.  We seem to have the same sense of humor but you have the knack of verbalization.

Billybob, be careful mentioning catchup anywhere around Steve.

I hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 6

Morning all another sleepless night,

Kind of a crappy day today tranny went out in the taurus, cost more to replace than the car is worth  :angry: I will never own another automatic transmission as long as i live

The hits just keep coming it seems, have to investigate scrapping a car here in NC although all the local scrapyards appear to be shut down.................

Later

Joe, try selling on your local craigslist as a car with bad tranny. Someone may need something off of it like the motor, or whatever. You could start high with an OBO and may get lucky. If you want too...

• Like 5

Morning all....drove the "new to me" car to work this morning after getting it running.

2000 Honda Civic with 60K on the clock...been sitting for two years (wifes 94 yr old grandmothers car). had to replace battery, coil, dist cap, rotor, plugs, wires, EGR, PVC and a oil change just to be safe.

Runs great...needs tires (flat spots from sitting) and has a surging idle that I have to figure out...but guessing a IACV might be stuck from sitting so long....it'll be a great DD to and from work for sure....took $18 to fill it up and should last me over a week....

Gonna put some stuff on Garage Sale today....some Klipsch, Yamaha, Monster Cable plenum speaker wire, banana clips, HD projector and screen....just need to purge alot of stuff....

Off to my next meeting

• Like 7

Morning folks.

Just now thinking how great to have a hobby and build your own gear like Wardsweb.  And all that beautiful wood he uses.  Envious!  Next life I want to be handy :wink:

LF at tennis....Jake snoozing....me being lazy.

Christy and dtel at Rodney's place having fun......again.

Not much to add so as always....

Cheers Ladies :emotion-44: and Gents

• Like 7