Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Morning Gang

72 in the Cave, damm nice.

First cup-0-Joe, some whole Bean Peets that is stronger than chit.

I better check the Bag, could be Expresso for all i know.

Shop parts sourcing today, lot's of little things for the comfort/productivity of the cave.

post-57941-0-67960000-1440069078_thumb.j

• Like 9

Evening gang...

Just got caught up on the posts...didn't get a chance to post this morning...

Man it was hot and sticky today....and crazy busy at the shop....wrong parts and all...only drank one coffee this morning..

Joe...really sorry to hear about the trans shitt... that does suck.....I'm no Ford guy, but I don't think those old Taurus had the best trans to start with....so going used will be a big roll of the dice... Good luck my man..

Jeff...sounds like you made out with the 00 Civic...they are some good old cars...still got quite a few that come to the shop.

I see you put some fresh ignition parts in it, and at 15 years old I say that's a good idea for sure. One thing you also might want to consider doing, is a new ignition coil. these coils have a high failure rate. Back in the day I would have one/two toe-in's a week with cars that had that coil in it. That was a very common coil used in the Honda/Acura line. The problem was people would not get there spark plugs done. Those plugs in those old cars were 30k plugs. After 30k the plug gap would increase and make that coil work really hard, then the coil would just burn through. Even my regular customers I would replace the coil at about 120k. I would do a complete ignition upgrade: cap,rotor,wires,coil,plugs. @ the 120k mark that would have been the forth plug replacement.

They are easy to do...The OEM make on that coil is TEC.

I gonna throw one more thing at ya....... "Timing Belt" ...... yea there's only 60K on it.....but that belt is going on 16 years old..

Did the car come with any history??? Repairs/ maintenance???

Good luck with with your new ride..

ok my buds...I'm gonna get me some rest....cuz I'll be doing it all again tomorrow...

Good night all....catch ya in the A.M.

MKP :-)

Thanks MKP

Timing Belt was done at 55K at the dealership due to "age"

The car was my wifes 94yr old grandmothers. She bought it new in 1999 and it has the full dealership maintenance history. EVERYTHING was done at the dealership on time or before time.....the car is mint.

Yeah, I replaced the coil because it was bad....replaced cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires...figured why not go ahead and replace it all....with my "buddy discount" at NAPA I walked out with everything for $110.

Any ideas with the surging idle? Runs fine for about 5-10 minutes then idle surges between 1000-2000 RPM.

• Like 5

Any ideas with the surging idle? Runs fine for about 5-10 minutes then idle surges between 1000-2000 RPM.

Disclaimer, MKP is the Honda expert.  If he tells you something contrary to what I say, go with his advice.

I would look for a sticking EGR valve or gummy throttle body.  Does the throttle pedal stick then release when you first step on the gas?

• Like 5

Already replaced the EGR and no the throttle doesn't stick.

One huge thing to mention....it's not all the time.

Sometimes it'll run completely fine...then will throw a CEL and have surging idle and jerking throttle response on deceleration and acceleration. Can pull the battery cable for about 10 seconds and it wipes out CEL and everything goes back to normal. Have not had a chance to pull the code yet.....know that should be the first thing to do to diagnose....just haven't had the time.

• Like 4

Morning yet again gang

Parts sourcing on the web this morning i saw this, now by god this is brilliant !

Dont we all have a thrasher guitar laying around ?

I finish this cup-0-joe that is it, getting the jitters...dam. im retired, i do not require this kind of energy.

post-57941-0-64480000-1440076266_thumb.j

• Like 9

Morning gang

MKP yea I am not replacing the trans simply dont have to $$$ o buy a rebuilt (1500 - 1800, plus 400 core) then the installation cost, cars not worth it to me, my fix was Found an 85 model mercury marquis for 500 v8 runs and drives, hoping it will fill the gap till schiit settles

potential sale on the headphones but paypal put the pmt under review so I am inclined to refund the pmt, as it means paypal finds the pmt fishy and they say not to ship till they can verify. Makes me uncomfortable

What would you do ??

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ1837

• Like 5

Good morning from sunny North Carolina....    Melitta all ready and being enjoyed and dad is making waffles (wheat free) in his antique waffle iron!  ^_^   Just took some photos with the iPad and will post up for you next...

AND, I got my dad's sound bar working shortly after we arrived, he bought it and could not get it working. Right after dinner I powered it up, checked the cables, all fine and then I found a 'function' button.   Turns out there are THREE inputs, and he never could fine that feature.   Mind you, it was sitting dormant for a year, and he always said when I came down I could get it working.   So, I am happy that I found that and got the inputs working and movies have been every night.

So, I decided it needed a subwoofer.  (Speaking of gifts = Wardsweb, very nice of you for your wife ;)

We usually don't gift for Christmas or birthdays, we all have enough 'stuff', but I decided that I would certainly do something while down here, so, I did a little research, went to my 'Parts Express' account, checked out the subs and reviews and did a second day ship.   Moments ago, the UPS man arrived at the door, surprising everyone, as the folks were not expecting any deliveries.

I brought it in, and my dad was VERY surprised and happy.   Now, there will be some great bass added to his soundbar.   Will hook that up later..

Meanwhile, breakfast is about ready....

More shortly...

Enjoy your morning everyone...

......Gary

• Like 8

Morning guys....

Ward...that is some fine looking sashimi and sushi, I love that stuff.

Getting ready to roll out as always, just one job to finnish up today..... well a few other small things to do. Should be a light day-that was probably the kiss of death-

Jeff on the Civic, next time the car fails and the CEL comes on pull the code for me. With the idle doing what you say....I think you have a IAC valve failing. If you have code PO505 it's a IAC valve. I've done a whole bunch of them on all Honda's. There on the throttle body, if you have the 1.6 V-tec you got to pull the throttle body off. If it's the non V-tec I think you can do it on the car. I should know this....I did my daughter's IAC valve about a year ago.....I think my mind is off sometimes.....

Any way there not hard.....and I agree with Carl about cleaning the throttle body....alway a good thing to do.

Last the OEM make on that IAC valve will be Denso.....good luck....keep us posted...

Wishing all a great day...

MKP :-)

• Like 8

Third cup of Peet's this morning...almost awake.  Dropped in mainly as Tigerman usually hangs here and want his thoughts.

As some may have noticed, I am purchasing a building in Texarkana (See "Retirement Project..." in Lounge) for a residential loft and for a Regional Music Heritage Center that will feature Paul W. Klipsch both for equipment and due to his being a part of the area's musical heritage. 

As to Tigerman, I happen to know where a complete Kilgen Petite cabinet organ is stored.  It appears in "good" condition right down to the bench.  Of course, the wiring will be toast and more, and I have no experience actually rebuilding such a thing...but I may give it a shot in retirement.  It would make a cool addition to the Center as well as be fun.  I have a good friend down here in Houston who will be able to teach me the basics of the "grunt" work  of repetitive re-wiring, re-leathering and such, and then perhaps come up to help with assembly and tuning if I live long enough to finish it. 

Tigerman, if you are familiar with that model Kilgen perhaps you can give me some thoughts.  Or tell me "Das orgeln machine is nich fer gerfingerpoken un mittengrabben by das dumbkopf, I am totally nuts, and don't try this at home.  :P

At the moment, it's piled up on the second floor of a piano rebuilder's business in downtown Texarkana as he got it free with another deal some years ago.

Picture is one of these that is restored and in use.

Dave

post-7390-0-87960000-1440079561_thumb.jp

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 6

THANKS MKP!

It's non-Vtec (Civic LX) and I am most certain that it is the IAC. Once it throws the code again I'll run up to Advance and pull the code.

Appreciate the advice.

The IAC is on the backside of the throttle body...correct? Has to coolant lines running to it?

• Like 4

Hey ther Dave, not to sure about the Kilgen, we do take care of a couple of them, in chapels, compact and hard to work on... Sounds like a good long project at least, let us know what you decide...

Meanwhile just finishing up breakfast and more Melitta dark roast.. Here is some photos of the antique iron, complete with cloth cord still intact ;0)image.jpg1_396.jpgLid closed....image.jpg2_85.jpgAnd my place setting.....image.jpg3_47.jpg

• Like 9