Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I think i posted some of these once before. But here are some new ones of where i enjoyed my coffee this morning.

b4136d03c070f5543eab96e5e2971439.jpg

b54eaae7a75e44c232a2a743ef6dc8e5.jpg

b98d7d5878722970aa6034f93449c22f.jpg

1a419e1c2440660e28e6f09355f155ef.jpg

To be honest, i didn't make it the full 180 feet. Just enough to see for awhile.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

That's a little too high for me.

I have a job coming up that's 42' in the air. I've been fighting an inner ear nerve problem for the past 2 years, I get dizzy. I will be the ground man on this job, I just don't like heights anymore. I envy you guys that can hit the skies.

Actually my new motto at work is….2 pumps on a barber chair is high enough for me :D

• Like 7

Man, am I tired of the bathroom remodel!

Welcome to my world.

I think I screwed up with the GFCI receptacles.  There are three in out bathroom.  I ended up purchasing the ones with the night lights as my wife has a thing for night lights and these look a lot better than the ones you plug in.  I didn't think they'd be as bright as they actually are and now I have to shut the bathroom door to get the bedroom good and dark as that's how I like it when I sleep.  I could have gotten by with just one as opposed to three with the integrated lights.

You onlt need one GFCI receptacle if they are all wired together. The first one in line can be GFCI, then wire the following receps to the first one using the provided taps. This way, all the receptacles following the GFCI will be GFCI protected. You only need one GFCI. Much cheaper and just as effective. Wire in series with GFCI the first in the series.

Edited by Rivervalleymgb
  • Like 1

Morning gang...

Bumming a ride to work this morning from my youngest daughter. I had to work on my eldest daughter Odyssey yesterday. I drove that back to her and The BOSS drove our Odyssey. That left me with no car back at the house. My CRV was back at the shop. The BOSS had to be at mom's early this morning... Hmmmmmm should have planned this a bit better... Oh well...... Between the family we have three "legally tagged" cars. Two Odyssey vans and a 99 Civic... Me and The BOSS have two transporter tag for the shop. We can put those tags on anything and drive it. We have all kinds of junk laying around to drive.... between Suzuki Samurai's, Ford F250, CRV and other crap there is usually something to throw a tag on....Not to day though....

The height thing...... Hmmmmmm..... Not into it.... I don't like climbing..... I don't mind getting on the roof to clean it off... but that's about it. Back when I was in the Army I was a crew chief on a Huey Helicopter and I loved flying. We would do hoist missions were I had to stand on the skid with doors open. I would use this hoist to raise a stretcher up to the aircraft and get it in. The only thing keeping me secured was a vest with a strap on it. The strap was attached to the floor. I would lean all the way out of the aircraft and not think anything about it.

One weekend we all went rock climbing..... I'm like yea man lets go... well let me tell ya I got about 1/4 way up and I was shaking!! I didn't like it... I didn't feel secure.. and this was back in my drinking days... I just couldn't do it.... But flying and hanging out with the strap no problem...

OK looks like my daughter is about ready..... a good day to all... check in later...

MKP :-)

• Like 5

You onlt need one GFCI receptacle if they are all wired together. The first one in line can be GFCI, then wire the following receps to the first one using the provided taps. This way, all the receptacles following the GFCI will be GFCI protected. You only need one GFCI. Much cheaper and just as effective. Wire in series with GFCI the first in the series.

That's true however, if you sell your home (around here anyways) the receptacles close to sinks need to be GFCI or the inspector fails you, or so I've been told.  I also don't know how the bathroom was wired so I erred on the side of caution.  Mine is a remodel, not a new build.

• Like 2

Another nice day in store....azaleas opening early. 

The DOT is dedicating a bridge to a deceased HP trooper at one today.  Same bridge we use to drag race across in the 60s & 70s.  Same trooper that use to pull us :huh:  At the end of the ceremony vintage cars will cross the bridge first.  I will be driving a friend's 67' Chevelle with a 454 ci motor.  Should be fun......

• Like 6

If you have a wire bug, or other type of wire tracing device, you can take the receptacles out, attach the device to the wires, and determine where they go. I understand the need for caution.

My ongoing remodel I had to completely rewire the bath to meet current code. Not required since I live in the country, but necessary for my own piece of mind. Too many circuits tied together that shouldn't have been. When I ripped off the drywall, I found that the wires had not even been stapled to the studs. They were just dangling in space. When I pulled the drywall off around the tub (cheap, but terrible way. cement board is going in its place), I found that the small bath was tied into a recep in the bedroom. Of course I had to run a new line from the box to the small bath. 

It depends on which code your locale uses, but most are similar. I have studied both the International Code and the Southern Building Code. Most say that the GFCI must be within 3 feet of the sink. The other restriction in bathrooms is that switches must be at least 3 feet away from the bath or shower.

• Like 2

Most say that the GFCI must be within 3 feet of the sink. The other restriction in bathrooms is that switches must be at least 3 feet away from the bath or shower.

2 of the plugs are close to sinks.  I installed the GFCI in the remaining one so they'd all look the same.  The 3're receptacle had 2 leads coming off of it.  I used the main hot and neutral to power the plug and used the protected lugs to power whatever the other wires went to so they'd be protected as well.

• Like 2

When I pulled the drywall off around the tub

It's amazing what you find when you rip into the walls.  Very few craftsmen have been building houses for the last 30 years or so.

I had to install a new powered attic vent a month or so ago.  I decided to do it in the spring before the attic got hot.  There was one hot wire going into the attic.  It supplied the exhaust fan, fluorescent bathroom lights, an attic pull chain light, an attic receptacle and a couple ceiling fans.  It's not much of a load but they tied them all together in the housing of the pull chain light!  What a mess.  The attic vent thermostat was just dangling in the air off of the romex supply.  It took me about 2 days to rewire it all with 3 boxes and an on off switch for the attic fan in case it ever needs to be replaced in the future.

• Like 2

• Moderators
The pic below is a fly strip that's been hanging in the shop for the last 12 years...yea I know kinda gross. Over the years I just kinda forgot about it... it's the one lone strip that I just never took down. Even though it looks full alot of them have dropped off over the years. Yup "year of the flies" never forget it!! MKP :-)

If I had to guess you sure got your money out of that fly strip !   :o  :lol:

• Like 4

• Moderators
To be honest, i didn't make it the full 180 feet. Just enough to see for awhile.

I am not scared of heights,  but not thrilled about looking down from that height at what looks like a small base supporting everything.  :unsure:

• Like 4

Sometimes we do some plumbing contract work for Norfolk Southern RR. They have camp cars that work gangs use and in the coldest weather these can freeze. All the copper pipe in these cars is destroyed when this happens. For the last several years we've been replacing the copper with pex. Interestingly we haven't repaired a busted pex one yet. Must be much more resistant to cracking in a freeze than the copper counterpart.

• Like 2

i’m not scared of heights; but, i’m afraid of falling from high places. 

Sometimes it is just amazing how seemingly unrelated events can lead me back to this Cables, Coffee & Cocktails thread.

I clicked on the link that Matthews provided in the 3 Hottest Sounding Women thread and the link took me to a rendition by Mette Lindberg singing in a bass boat.  :o

After the song, I check the “up next” list on the page and notice the video where Tennessee Tuxedo, Chumlee and Baldy become folk singers and want to cut a record.  Of course, Mr. Woopy has an old Edison machine and shows them how to use it, along with providing a few digs at the recording industry. B)

Many may not realize; however, long before "American Idol," long before "The Voice," and long before “America's Got Talent” there was this classic Tennessee Tuxedo episode.

I listen to the song then proceed to try to figure out “where are they today,” do some research and found the following.

Of course, Tennessee Tuxedo (Don Adams) probably has done the most and went on to star in Get Smart, The Nude Bomb, Inspector Gadget, among other roles.

Chumlee now stars, and has steady work, on the hit reality show, Pawn Stars. :o

It appears that Baldy disappeared and suddenly Mary Travers was on the scene gaining recognition with Peter, Paul & Mary.  Who knew? :unsure2:

Stanley Livingston has appeared in various reality television shows as Simon Cowell, Howard Stern, and of course, Piers Morgan. :wacko2:

The Zoo auditorium was relocated to what is now known as Carnegie Hall. :emotion-29:

Now for a little insight into the lyrics.

“A Billy goat, a Billy goat

That's what I could be

Because a goat would love the chance

To eat my hat for me

But it won't taste good to me”

It seems that Kanye claims he should have the credit for writing the song, while it is obvious that Led Zeppelin and the Beatles, among other bands, all stole parts from the song for their own gold record releases. :ph34r:

Now why did all of this bring me to this thread?  Of course, it can only be because of the BigStewMan and those iconic words that previously crested atop his avatar that “Tennessee Tuxedo will NOT fail!'”

That could only mean that I had to come here to show the BigStewMan the video. B)

• Like 3