Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Thanks Fjd -- wasn’t sure how many people paid attention, and thanks for the cool video. Tennessee and Bullwinkle are my favorites.

Two of mine too.  The old Foghorn Leghorn one-liner rants were also amusing.  Somewhat like old Foghorn and Rodney Dangerfield were separated at birth.

The snow, I say, the snow's so deep, the farmers have to jack up the cows so they can milk 'em. But I like winter!

That's mathematics, son! You can argue with me, but you can't argue with figures!

Lookit here son, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? He scared 'em! That Rhode Island Red turned white. Then blue. Rhode Island. Red, white, and blue. That's a joke, son. A flag waver. You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is.

Gal reminds me of the highway between Fort Worth and Dallas. No curves.

This is going to cause more confusion than a mouse at a burlesque show.

• Like 5

You onlt need one GFCI receptacle if they are all wired together. The first one in line can be GFCI, then wire the following receps to the first one using the provided taps. This way, all the receptacles following the GFCI will be GFCI protected. You only need one GFCI. Much cheaper and just as effective. Wire in series with GFCI the first in the series.

That's true however, if you sell your home (around here anyways) the receptacles close to sinks need to be GFCI or the inspector fails you, or so I've been told.  I also don't know how the bathroom was wired so I erred on the side of caution.  Mine is a remodel, not a new build.

GFCI breakers (at the panel) are nice, too, especially for remodels.

• Like 3

You onlt need one GFCI receptacle if they are all wired together. The first one in line can be GFCI, then wire the following receps to the first one using the provided taps. This way, all the receptacles following the GFCI will be GFCI protected. You only need one GFCI. Much cheaper and just as effective. Wire in series with GFCI the first in the series.

That's true however, if you sell your home (around here anyways) the receptacles close to sinks need to be GFCI or the inspector fails you, or so I've been told.  I also don't know how the bathroom was wired so I erred on the side of caution.  Mine is a remodel, not a new build.

GFCI breakers (at the panel) are a nice option, especially for remodels.

• Like 2

Good TGIF morning my friends........... :emotion-44:

Spent a good half hour going through many pages from this week...  WOW, so much going on...   AC outlets with obnoxious LED night lighting to Genie lifts!  (ha, we own our own little 25' hand cranked model for lifting pipe organ consoles up and over church gallery railings etc...)   EXCELLENT photos there Duder!

Great fun on cruise ships, thanks for the photos  :emotion-21:

Chuck, the Chevelle drive sounds very cool......oh, someone put the BIG motor in that one huh ?   :wink:

Ok, need to leave for work, finish up the week, get ready for listening to music tonight with friends over in RTM...

Enjoy your day everyone, those in the heavy weather areas be safe!

..........Gary

• Like 4

Sometimes we do some plumbing contract work for Norfolk Southern RR. They have camp cars that work gangs use and in the coldest weather these can freeze. All the copper pipe in these cars is destroyed when this happens. For the last several years we've been replacing the copper with pex. Interestingly we haven't repaired a busted pex one yet. Must be much more resistant to cracking in a freeze than the copper counterpart.

I have seen 3/4" PEX freeze and expand to about 6 inches. When it thawed it went back to 3/4". The stuff has a molecular memory in that it will always want to return to its original shape. It is a shame that plumbers never could understand the chemistry of this product. The worst connection for PEX is crimping. The best connection is expansion coupling. Why try and make it want to leak with crimping? If you understand the chemistry, then use expansion with collar fittings. Enough of that rant...

I have also seen drywall installers put a screw through a pipe and it not leak. This was also due to shap memory. The chemistry makes the PEX seal around the screw in order to return to its original shape.

Edited by Rivervalleymgb
  • Like 3

A friend of mine is in the natural gas pipeline business. They use expansion couplings for all the connections. He says they seem to never fail at the coupling and its the strongest part of the pipeline.

I noticed that Milwaukee (and others I'm sure) make that cool mechanical device for expanding the PEX for making up a coupling. It's cool technology.

Z3_NL-fo5oy.JPG

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 3

You can get the hand operated ones as well.  The pipe itself is basically fine, it's the brass valves and fittings that can fail.  There's also the issue with chemicals leaching from the plastic on some of the cheap stuff as well as the fact that rodents seem to like snack on it at times.  Be sure to check building code in your area and see if it's acceptable prior to using it on a project that requires a permit and inspection.

• Like 3

I've worked with this pipe for mainline sewer. First time was with 30" in a pipe burst job. That pipe is virtually indestructable.

I believe gas contractors use the same pipe....only its yellow in color instead of black.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I believe gas contractors use the same pipe....only its yellow in color instead of black.

Here, gas lines are orange and they use a tool that heats the pipe till it starts to melt and fuse it together.  The tool has one male end and one female end that heat simultaneously.

• Like 3

You MUST use the PEX with the oxygen barrier when using brass fittings. I have always used plastic due to this. I first used PEX in an industrial setting where I was running a bleach plant. We could extend line replacement going to and from the reactor using PEX. This reactor made bleach by combining sodium hydroxide, liquid chlorine gas, and water together. PEX extended replacement of lines to one per year.

• Like 1

• Moderators

True but from lesser heights the cushion inside the back of your pants can help.  :o  :blink:

Not scared of heights but still get that feeling in my stomach, which is a good thing I guess, it's like your brain saying do not be stupid ! :huh:

• Like 1

Not scared of heights but still get that feeling in my stomach, which is a good thing I guess, it's like your brain saying do not be stupid ! :huh:

Yep, I get that feeling also. Does everyone? Or should I ask doesn't everyone?

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in
reason. How infinite in faculty. In form and moving
how express and admirable. In action, how like an angel.
In apprehension, how like a god. - Shakespeare's Hamlet

• Like 2