Any Steely Dan Fans?

willland

Steely Dan is a favorite group of mine. Aja and Gaucho are go-to albums for me, good stuff.

The musicianship they select from other players, their arrangements, tasteful solos, micro detail, recording technique, etc. are the benchmark of the industry, or should be. Also mention their lyrics and melodies. They have a very high standard of excellence and deliver on it. Saw them in concert once. They were great live too, before Jeff "Skunk" Baxter ran off to join the Doobie Brothers.

My fave on Two against nature is Cousin Dupree, very funny stuff. Reminds me of the time I was 16 and I met my 21 year old cousin who was a totally hot babe by then. I didn't recognize her from when we were kids. She said we used to play together when we were little. Just then I was thinking "Will you play with me now?" LOL. Hey, I was 16, ok?

Edited by ClaudeJ1

I don't like everything they do but they are possibly the most professional band I have ever heard. They did have a special on PBS many years ago that was very interesting. What I remember most was if you couldn't read music you were out the door.

JJK

The musicianship they select from other players, their arrangements, tasteful solos, micro detail, recording technique, etc. are the benchmark of the industry, or should be. Also mention their lyrics and melodies. They have a very high standard of excellence and deliver on it. Saw them in concert once. They were great live too, before Jeff "Skunk" Baxter ran off to join the Doobie Brothers.

I saw them live in Tampa back in 2000 and was astounded how great they were live. No other group I have seen has come even close before or after in a live concert.

Bill

• Moderators

If your setup to play a DVD in 2 CH this is a very good recording. The only problem is you can't just put it on and walk away, there is an interview between each song you nee to skip, I have never seen any like this before, it's crazy. But the recording is really worth it with many hit songs. To me it sounds better than the CD.

I play it in 2 Ch, tried it in multi and it's great but my favorite is always 2 Ch.

post-9700-0-90800000-1392423917_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel

Donald Fagan and Walter Becker created many great studio albums with all sorts of soul, urban, jazz, rock influences. They were micromanagers about the productions of songs and albums and with that insisted on their own desired mix in the highest quality possible, They controlled so much. I really enjoy their albums.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Count me as a fan. Steve Gadd was their studio drummer for a lot of tracks. He is one of the most respected players around.

Your right, he played a lot with Eric Clapton also and many other big names, including touring with them.

As to Supertramp, the only thing I have is Classics (greatest hits), and it is awesome.

Here is DR Database record of the most spectacular of Supertramp CDs that I have owned (or heard)...but get out your check book. I found my copy used on ebay for $100 - and it was most definitely worth it to me:

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=475

The above CD is even more impressive, by a small margin, than this version of Steely Dan's Aja:

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=6715

Chris

Edited by Cask05
  • Like 1

As to Supertramp, the only thing I have is Classics (greatest hits), and it is awesome.

Here is DR Database record of the most spectacular of Supertramp CDs that I have owned (or heard)...but get out your check book. I found my copy used on ebay for $100 - and it was most definitely worth it to me:

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=475

This CD is even more impressive, by a small margin, than this version of Steely Dan's Aja:

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=6715

Chris

Both very impressive indeed.

Bill

Edited by willland

Lots of mention of Aja and Gaucho. They are good, but also, The Royal Scam is a great album with great sound quality.

Go get the rest. Crime of the Century is a masterpiece. Breakfast in America is a close second. Even in the Quietest Moments is also very good, as well as Crisis, What Crisis? Live in Paris is another must have.

A Deacon Blue -Bodhisattva disciple here. "A Decade of Steely Dan" is a great all around collection, agreed very well recorded.

I have every album and also bought Citizen Steely Dan. Same songs on 4 CD's, bought it before buying all of their albums.

Steely Dan is one of those bands where you can put any album on and just let it play and enjoy everything. No duds. The Doors are the only other Band that I like everything from, but as great as the Doors were, Steely Dan is (are?) composers and perfectionists and many steps above as far as quality. True masters.

Supertramp hit a peak of perfection )Crime and Breakfast) and could not keep it going. Steely Dan could keep it going.