Bad idea to make your passion/hobby a career?

Kain

I was just thinking and reading about this, and some sources say that you should not turn your passion into a career because once you start doing everyday all day, you'll grow tired of it. What do you guys think? Home theater is my passion and I absolutely love the audio side of home theater. I won't call myself an audiophile (because I might not have all the technical know-how of sound and speakers) but I love good sound and speakers. Is it possible to make good money in the home theater industry/business?

I have an opinion.

Being offered money for what you do and feeling like you shouldn't be paid because it was so easy, is an indicator that you have a skill that you are passionate about, and that you could get money for. Once you have to do something rather than doing that thing when you feel like it does take some of the joy out of it. Conversely, recognition of your value and the successes that can be achieved are far greater as a career. If you truly have a passion, you will be happier and more productive in that job than in another.

I grow tired of everything. That is my nature. I love learning new things and figuring things out. Perhaps that is my true passion. That is one thing you can carve into my gravestone.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Actually I've always believed that my objective is to do what I prefer to do every day, if possible.

The only issue in general is when you take a job in your hobby area and you don't actually get to do what you like to do every day: in this case, then I could see that it might not be a good idea to take a job in this area.

I've noticed that sitting and writing down what I actually like to do (what I've liked to do in the past) clarifies the situation greatly: talking in generalities isn't useful, but rather identifying specific types of tasks and activities that bring me personal enjoyment. That way, I can identify the tasks that would drive me to boredom quickly if I were to spend all of my time doing them. I avoid jobs where those second kind of tasks would make up the vast majority of the day.

However, I've learned that others very much dislike anyone for doing things that they like to do--and do well, every day. Apparently, misery loves company.

I have no idea if HT installations/service is lucrative. I would think that it would be highly dependent on where you live and the state of the local economy: plumbers always have work...

Chris

Edited by Chris A

If you pursue your passions as a vocation instead of an avocation that is OK, but I suggest you think with your head as a business man, not your heart.

About 50% of start ups fail within the first year, and after 3 years, 90% are gone. Make sure you have a plan that is sustainable.

• Like 2

I was just thinking and reading about this, and some sources say that you should not turn your passion into a career because once you start doing everyday all day, you'll grow tired of it. What do you guys think? Home theater is my passion and I absolutely love the audio side of home theater. I won't call myself an audiophile (because I might not have all the technical know-how of sound and speakers) but I love good sound and speakers. Is it possible to make good money in the home theater industry/business?

Since you have not provided much insight into what specifically you are considering, only broad-based generalities, here are a couple of articles that may help you narrow down various aspects to help you refine your search. Every time someone approaches me about starting a venture with them, long before developing any type of business plan, I help them work through similar types of exercises. Please note where "passion" fits into the picture as part of the SWOT analysis.

Don't Rely On Luck At Work: Define Your Career Aspirations And Goals

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lisaquast/2013/04/08/dont-rely-on-luck-at-work-define-your-career-aspirations-and-goals/

How To Conduct A Personal SWOT Analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, & Threats)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lisaquast/2013/04/15/how-to-conduct-a-personal-s-w-o-t-analysis/

SWOT Analysis: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats

http://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc/tta-system/operations/mgmt-admin/planning/planning/2SWOTAnalysisS.htm

The SWOT analysis will help get things organized before changing careers or starting a business in that a person really needs to analyze what is all involved. For example, evaluate your current job and the skills you have developed. A person will also need to brainstorm possible career directions in the field they want to enter into.

Once you understand your personal SWOT analysis, it goes a long way in determining possible actions that could include strengthening a specific skill or adding something to your strengths square, minimizing or eliminating any weakness uncovered, how to recognize and pursue an opportunity, and recognizing and protecting yourself against potential threats you have identified.

In case you have never done a SWOT, here is an overview of the categories and types of things to brainstorm that I believe may help.

Strengths are internal, positive attributes and selling points. We all should have some control over these and how to develop them.

• Positive personal traits.
  • Relevant skills, competencies, knowledge and work experience.
  • Education level.
  • Personal and professional network.
  • Commitment, enthusiasm and passion for the chosen field.

Weaknesses are internal negative attributes. We all have them and we have some control over these and how to mitigate them.

• Negative personal characteristics and poor work habits.
  • A lack of work experience or relevant experience. Lack of the appropriate skill set.
  • A lack of the appropriate education level.
  • No relevant personal or professional network or a very small one.
  • A lack of career direction or focus.
  • Weak professional or career-management skills.

Opportunities are typically uncontrollable by the individual, external events that a person can potentially use to their advantage.

• Favorable industry trends.
  • A booming economy.
  • A specific job opening.
  • An upcoming company project.
  • Emerging demand for a new skill or expertise.
  • Use of a new technology.
  • Referral to a high-powered contact.

Threats are typically uncontrollable external factors that tend to work against the individual and require a person to be protective to avoid the threat or mitigate its impact.

• Industry restructuring and consolidation.
  • Changing market requirements and their impact on employers.
  • Changing professional standards that a person may not meet.
  • Reduced demand for one or several of the persons individual skills.
  • Evolving technologies that a person is not prepared for (can't think "we always did it this way....").
  • The emergence of a competitor, either to your company or to the individual personally (happens a lot in the work environment today).
  • A company decision maker who does not like or support you.

Hope this helps you in your pursuit.

However, I've learned that others very much dislike anyone for doing things that they like to do--and do well, every day. Apparently, misery loves company.

Envy, jealousy and covet what someone else has or does could also explain it.

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

Go talk to people who do what you are considering doing for a living to gain some insight.

I became an engineer because I love to plan, design and build things. Then as an engineer the reality set in that you design things that you might not want to desing and deal with clients who complain about everything that costs money. To make matters worse, as you move up the chain, you stop doing the fun stuff (designing) and do more admin than anything as a project manager.

I then became an attorney (which was something that I had never considered) and I actually do like it. I work in property development and there is quite a bit that I do like (as well as a bunch that is not so great). I love water rights matters as they tend to involve complex puzzles.

Another consdieration is lifestyle (not necesairily money). I own a small solo firm am I with my wife all day. No politics, no boss and no ladder to climb anymore. If it wasn't for these things I might not enjoy what I do so much.

We all tend to wind up somewhere we did not expect. Good luck with your journey.

• Like 1

Are you thinking of retailing systems to customers including video products?

Working for yourself or someone else?

Partners?

If doing installs, do you have experience,basic tools, and good enough health for attic work?

What is the competition in your area, including custom installtions, keeping in mind competition from Best Buy,etc.?

Are you willing to get commercial liability coverage of at least 1 million?

There are some permitting considerations for the area you intend to work in.

And the list goes on, certification, capitalization, employees...etc.

Sorry for the 3rd degree but, you have gotten good info here for a starter. Passion can be a good thing, but we/I need to know more before much more can be given in feedback.

Thanks

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am with my wife all day..

That would work for me!

Bruce

We did make one of our passions a career and we did it together for over 15 years.

It was landscaping, designing gardens with trees, hardscapes, ponds with waterfalls and irrigation. NOT installing or cutting grass, this was sub contracted.

It started as a hobby many year before but both of us had "real jobs" until I quit mine because of crazy hours. Doing what we loved was an accident really, a friend told us someone was looking for some Japanese Koi and tropical water lilies which we bred and grew as a hobby.

We fixed his pond up for him and he asked if we could do around the pond which we did, he was so happy he got us to do his whole yard which took weeks. He was very happy, he invited us to his Christmas party which was huge, live band and a few hundred people, there was no shortage of money on his part. At the party the caterer asked who did his yard and we were introduced and ended up doing his back and front yard also.

His neighbor was a contractor/developer, he hired us to do his yard, it went from there by word of mouth, all we had was business cards and were always booked up for months ahead.

It can happen and it can be really fun and rewarding, and very hard work but if you really love what your doing even bad days are great.

What we liked most was 98% of the jobs (except commercial) all we did was give a rough layout of what we wanted to do in the yard and asked if there were any plants/trees they were allergic to or loved or hated. The rest of the design was completely up to us which kept it interesting and creative.

For commercial jobs we had to submit a blueprint of what we were going to do down to what plants were going to be used which had to be approved before we could get a permit to begin work. Commercial jobs were more strict because it had to also be approved after completion by the city for the customer to get an occupancy permit.

We were still doing this when I signed up on this forum, it's how I ended up with dtel. = down to earth landscapes was our name. :o

It can work, and you can work with your wife everyday and not kill each other. :D

• Like 3

In the world of HT, I don't think I would want to deal with the public at large on that one.

Case in point, you find out what the person wants but you KNOW what will sound good/work, involve his budget and things get diciy.

If you really want to get a little into it, try consulting on HT.

• Like 2

Audio stores are closing down rampantly these days...the online sellers are thriving in audio...High end installs are successful in growing communities...take it one step at a time...you are getting honest answers here on the klipsch forum although as i see stores close i see many audio video retail salesman taking much lower wages than in the same positions in comparison to even the early 00's(2000-2005ad&before into the 90's&possibly before then)...that said the treatment you would receive from most a/v retail stores would result in combatant verbal type situations when asking for any inside shadow type information...they want to keep their job let alone they are living off minimum plus commission...

I know of one guy who is indeed a klipsch dealer as well as near everything and one this that has kept his business affloat since the early 90's is the cell phone industry...and installs both car and home including automation and security...

I also have very good and just good(lol) friends who took on the audio retail industry(owning multiple stores to part ownership to merging and simple salespeople to installers and even distributors) and opted out as soon as they could to break even or lose as little as possible...rarely banking for many years....I have seen quite a bit up close and learned myself and have did my share of helping some of these friends out in their journeys in the audio industry from small towns to large and they helped me out as well...I must say you have to have a very strong drive and possibly a music degree would help map you out in your drive into the industry...

I hope you do what your heart feels! best of luck in any matter!!

• Like 3

Better have enough business acumen to know how to make $$$$$$ doing about anything.......... then see if you can make good $$$$ doing what you like. I have seen inspired people do this and lose the enjoyment of their interests because working at it for sustenance ruined the pleasures they once associated with it. For example - you will be asked to install systems with high expectations and no budget to meet those expectations. Hard to turn away any business - hard to please all the customers - just plain hard. Then again - you may possess all of these character elements and be in the right market, at the right time. You could become renown, famous for your systems, handed carte blanche orders and be the envy of this industry. Kings and Queens would bow at your feets. Good luck to you.

• Like 2

• Moderators
For example - you will be asked to install systems with high expectations and no budget to meet those expectations.

Very true, or even worse customers with terrible taste and judgement.

While working and talking to a wife a little about our other hobbys a wife told me ask my husband what his hobby is. So I did and it was HT and he had spent way over 1/2 million on his third floor theater !

I could not wait to see it so we went up there and it was amazing really big, stadium seating perfect theater chairs for probably 30 people. Special acoustic carpet, a ceiling which has stars that were light and even a shooting star occasionally. The projector was like 30K and the screen was huge, I was really getting excited wanting to get to the audio and then he kind of just stopped describing the rooms better points and asked if I like it.

Well I said it was unbelievable but really wanted to get to the audio part since everything was hidden. H say I don't know much about that but this is where it's located showing me some in wall and ceiling speakers in the rear and how he did not wan to see any speakers . We walk out and the next door is the equipment room behind the screen wall, it was packed with everything you could want to run a theater down to huge power conditioners. I walk in andsee three speakers across the left wall which is behind the screen and are shocked, thereabout the size of a Heresy and a brand I had never heard of and the center is half that size and 2 different brands between the three front !

I didn't know what to say and stood there in shock, I asked and he said a company in Florida did the design of the room and had there special audio guy recommend what speakers which was fine by him and he loved it.

I didn't know what to say, as we were leaving I said if you ever want better soundI can give you some ideas on what would sound better and left it like that.

The room was ALL show and terrible sound you could barely make out and he was perfectly happy ?

• Like 2

... I absolutely love the audio side of home theater. I won't call myself an audiophile (because I might not have all the technical know-how of sound and speakers) but I love good sound and speakers. Is it possible to make good money in the home theater industry/business?

I would think not.

My glass is usually half empty, but I would steer clear of selling, building, wiring or anything with any entity other than just (helping) personal friends. There is no easy paycheck out there even if you love what you do. Besides, there is a big grey area when it comes to dealing with wishy washy people and what they "think" they want at that given minute. Heck, just build a pre-sold house or two and you will get a very good idea of how many times people can change their mind. On top of that, there would be people that would be anti-horn and you would have to set up crap systems that they either did or didn't like and all along you would hate the sound and setup..yada, yada. No way, Im gonna try and screw up my last passionate hobby on making an extra buck !

• Like 1