harley davidson owners

Scrappydue

FYI Scrappy, the big deal about frame mounting fairings is that a frame mount makes the front end feel lighter and when the forks turn, the windshield and lights stay straight. On the fork mounted type, the fairing turns when the wheel turns left and right, which makes the front end feel more ponderous.

I don't like it when the wind hits the fairing and moves the wheel, even slightly. OTOH the fork mounted fairing is more traditional Harley-Davidson, and many people like traditional.

neber though of that. I think my friends road glide is terrible looking. I like the street glide look much better. However both those are too big and too pricey for me right now anyways.

Nothing wrong with a Sportster. Some people feel bigger for cracking on them. You don't look like a heavy weight (like me) so that bike will probably do what you want to do. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg to purchase, etc. Lots of them out there used for very good prices by the way.

I personally prefer a Harley Road Glide. By far the best riding bike Harley has ever made. Also the only bike with a frame mounted fairing that Harley makes. I know/have met three Harley dealership owners. What do they ride? Road Glides.

thats what my best friend rides. i think I'm gonna go with the sportster as it is much more affordable for me. and i love the look of the 48

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/forty-eight.html

I just saw the specs on the Sportster, now I know exactly what it is. That class of bike is generically called a "naked bike." They are very hip these days. FWIW, I like the look of the Sportster as well. :)

Just know what you are getting. Of course you can buy after-market windshields and such, but stock, there is no protection from the wind or cold. When you ride a bike you are VERY exposed to the weather. When it is cold, you are cold. IMO in such places as California where it is much warmer this is less of an issue, but just know that where you live, the temperature will vary a LOT from day to evening, and anything under 70 degrees on a naked bike start to feel cold.

The gas tank is ONLY two gallons, that is VERY small. That will be good for only a little over an hour and a half of riding. Practically speaking, that means that after an hour of riding, you will be looking for a gas station. You will be spending a LOT of time in gas stations refilling that bike, no matter where or how you ride.

What you WILL like is the light weight and easy handling. Although it is powerful, it won't rip your arms off with acceleration. That's a good thing. If you have a lot of curvy roads and like taking the back roads, this bike is for you. LOTS of fun!

But...you will not be taking rides longer than 2 hours, it will feel like you are stopping just as you are getting started. In fact, 2 hours would be a MAX time, and your friends with larger gas tanks won't want to stop riding, but you will have to be stopping for gas.

You will also find that short seat will give you a sore butt after a VERY short period of time. Those seats buzz your butt, and you have to move around or you will get uncomfortable, fast. The best way to stretch is to stretch to the rear. You will find yourself wanting to sit on that back fender, I guarantee you. You may find yourself looking forward to those frequent gas stops to stretch your legs.

Going on an a short vacation riding 8 hours would not be very practical, with no wind protection. Having the wind whip through your hair as you enjoy the freedom of riding a bike wears a little thin after the wind has beaten you in the face for hours at a time. And get used to having bugs in your face and hit you in the chest.

Lastly, this bike is made for solo riding only, so you will not be taking the wife. Since I hate having anyone ride on my bike, this would be a big plus for me! :)

I'm not trying to talk you in or out of anything my friend, bikes are VERY personal and you should get the one you like that matches what YOU want. And unless you have unlimited funds, there are always compromises. That's why the bike I LIKE pictured above was the $20,000 BMW, and the one I bought was the $2,000 Suzuki. B)

I'm just trying to give you a bit of heads-up on what's on the road in front of you. :)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Riding motorcycles is a kind of journey I believe. I'm 51 years old and recently sold my Road Glide. Loved that motorcycle. I have had 9 harleys and other brand motorcycles over the years. For me and many others the Road Glide is or was the pinnacle of their riding experience for whatever reason.

My uncle has had the same sportster for a doz. years and he is 65 so you never know. This might be the last bike for you whatever it is. Enjoy! Be Safe.

Of course you can buy after-market windshields and such, but stock, there is no protection from the wind or cold
leathers won't help on this? i will probably get a windshield for rides to work
The gas tank is ONLY two gallons, that is VERY small.
found a 4 gallon tank that should fit nicely after i start riding a bit more. i figured i could have a 5 gallon can at my house and just fill up every night when i get home.
If you have a lot of curvy roads and like taking the back roads
tons of them around here!!
You will also find that short seat will give you a sore butt after a VERY short period of time.
I'm sure a new seat will be n order no matter what i buy
Having the wind whip through your hair as you enjoy the freedom of riding a bike
thats easy, I'm bald!
Lastly, this bike is made for solo riding only, so you will not be taking the wife
nah they make a couple 2 up seats for it. I'm sure they suck but it is possible.

FWIW I started on a sportster and rode it all of three months before moving up to a Fatboy. I ended up on a Street Glide but sold that in January.

Some people love sportsters, but it just wasn't enough bike for me. Even my wife moved up to her own Fatboy after a short while on a sportster.

Just be advised that although the softail is a nice comfortable ride, the motor is hard mounted in the frame. The counterbalanced engine does a pretty good job, but at highway speeds on longer trips, there will be more vibrations transmitted to the handlebars. Just the way it is. I prefer the rubber mounted engines on tourning bikes and dynas.

Whatever you get, go for a big twin. You'll be glad you did.

Shakey

there's only one street glide

I concur. Most HD owners that stay owners and actually ride year after year usually end up with a Street Glide or Electra Glide, especially if their wife rides. Comfy for the better half and plenty sporty when running solo.

I just Googled Street Glide. Wow, you could buy Palladium's, and another set for surrounds for the cost of one Street Glide! But I do have a question for you Harley guys.

It looked like the front fairing/windshield was handlebar mounted. I am just assuming the larger size and stability of that front end makes mounting to the forks stable at speed. Do Harley's have an option for frame mounted fairings/windshields?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/street-glide.html

SUPER sharp looking bike!

Edited: Note to Scrappy: The pic from the above link illustrates what I was saying about windshields. I don't know Harley parts, but I bet the great looking windshield is a "shorty" which looks good but only gives you minimal wind protection. I bet they have options for a "mid" model and a "tall" model.

+++

We talked earlier about "image is important." This is the image that makes my day :)

R1200GS-Adv-90-years02.jpg

The bike you are asking about is a Road Glide. Same frame as a SG, but frame mounted fairing.

And as to your eariler comment about learning on a 700 lb. Sportster, they actually weigh about 540 lbs.

Shakey

Of course you can buy after-market windshields and such, but stock, there is no protection from the wind or cold

leathers won't help on this? i will probably get a windshield for rides to work

Leathers WILL help a lot, but most riders don't use the full leathers (leather pants). A nice leather jacket and leather gloves WILL cut probably 90% of that wind.

If you do get the Sportster, there are many aftermarket clear windshields which I think helps to preserve the look of the bike, and handlebar mounted for this purpose is just the thing. They are less expensive than frame mounted, and you can install it yourself very easily. :)

The gas tank is ONLY two gallons, that is VERY small.

found a 4 gallon tank that should fit nicely after i start riding a bit more. i figured i could have a 5 gallon can at my house and just fill up every night when i get home.

Wow, that 4 gal tank sounds great. If you found one, it sounds like you weren't the first one to think about the short range of a two gallon tank. A 4 gal tank is a decent size, and will give you many more trip options, IMO.

If you have a lot of curvy roads and like taking the back roads

tons of them around here!!

That bike looks very well matched for canyon carving. :cool:

You will also find that short seat will give you a sore butt after a VERY short period of time.

I'm sure a new seat will be n order no matter what i buy

You have really done your homework! I'm guessing you can ask your buddies what seat THEY have bought, and again, you are not the first one to want a bigger seat (I think maybe even gel filled, but I'm not sure).

Having the wind whip through your hair as you enjoy the freedom of riding a bike

thats easy, I'm bald!

OK then, you'll just have to enjoy the freedom of bugs getting stuck in your teeth as you smile, while enjoying your new ride! (boy, is this the right emoticon for this!) --> --> --> :D

Lastly, this bike is made for solo riding only, so you will not be taking the wife
nah they make a couple 2 up seats for it. I'm sure they suck but it is possible.

LOL! You're crazy if you get a two-up seat! I'd stick with "sorry honey, but I'll have to ride by myself. DARN these Harley-Davidson people, what where they thinking when they designed a bike with only one seat?" :D :D :D

Edited by wvu80

And as to your eariler comment about learning on a 700 lb. Sportster, they actually weigh about 540 lbs.

Shakey

I thought he was originally going for the larger Street Glide model, which is actually closer to 800 pounds! :o

I would think the 540 pound Sportster would be MUCH easier to learn on. I started on Honda Mini-trail 50 when I was a kid, and learned to ride by falling down, a lot.

All in the dirt, of course. B)

• Like 1

Had a '73 sportster (when I was 19), a '82 Yamaha 650, a '80 Kawasaki KZ-1000, a '01 ZRX-1200, '05 Road King, , and now a '05 Screamin Eagle Electra-Glide. Love the touring bikes at 54.

I only have 2 recommendations..........

1) Never buy a new motorcycle. Used is the best way to go. It doesn't matter what's broke. If a man built it, a man can fix it. In the words of Walmart........Save money, live better. Let someone else spend all that customization money.

2) You are a beginner at 28..........don't forget you are a beginner. Go take the safety course, riding lessons..........whatever you want to call it..........get trained before you go too far.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Great advice

I was thinking the first part when I read this, Probably lose almost 40% of the value in a year or less.......................just a guess but if it's like anything else ?

You can't be to safe :emotion-21:

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

Not to be a Debbie downer, but about 25% - 33% of all of my cycle customers end up being in a non at fault accident with injury. Please watch the traffic and assume every single vehicle turning or pulling out in front of you does not see you, because most don't. My whole extended family on both sides ride and I did for 30 years, but not anymore. Its not always traffic accidents either. Just had a customer get taken down by a Deer in May and luckily he just got serious road rash. Another guy early this spring hit a turtle, believe it or not and laid his GSXR down running at speed in a corner. Keep you eyes peeled for anything!

• Like 1

By all means take the MSF course if offered in your area. Most states will allow you to exempt the practical exam for your permit if you present the class certificate. Even people who have been riding all their lives can learn a thing or two. Highly recommended.

Shakey

BTW, this is the bike I recently sold/

newbikepics021.jpg

Edited by Shakeydeal
  • Like 1

Now that's a good looking bike. For the record I've driven lots of dirt bikes growing up, as well as couple street bikes when I was 18 and also ride my dads Suzuki Bergman on the regular and am very comfortable on it (5XX lbs). I am just super new to the cruiser or harley style of motorcycle.

Now that's a good looking bike. For the record I've driven lots of dirt bikes growing up, as well as couple street bikes when I was 18 and also ride my dads Suzuki Bergman on the regular and am very comfortable on it (5XX lbs). I am just super new to the cruiser or harley style of motorcycle.

I rode dirt bikes myself growing up, i feel there is no better training for the road and bigger bikes than riding on uneven surfaces, jumping dirt hills and general all out fun riding through the dirt, grass & mud.

thats easy, I'm bald!

Nooooooooooo!!!!! Wear a helmet and good armored gear. Always, always, always. Not one of those silly Harley beanies with matching leather vest either. A good one - full face Snell rated. Spend the big $$ on your brain before you go out and get a bunch of chrome and leather tassels. MSF course is an absolute must too. HELMET!

• Like 4

thats easy, I'm bald!

Nooooooooooo!!!!! Wear a helmet and good armored gear. Always, always, always. Not one of those silly Harley beanies with matching leather vest either. A good one - full face Snell rated. Spend the big $$ on your brain before you go out and get a bunch of chrome and leather tassels. MSF course is an absolute must too. HELMET!

VERY good advice.

thats easy, I'm bald!

A $10 head only needs a $10 helmet. It's funny to see people with all the expensive leather and not hearing a helmet. :rolleyes: