The Movie….American Sniper

Ceptorman

Guest Steven1963

Saw this a couple weeks ago at home. 

Thought it was good.  Didn't like the slow ending, however.

Edited by Steven1963

• Moderators

Saw it last night. I thought the story was excellent, and the individual, CPO Kyle, a true hero.

I wasn't to thrilled with the production. I didn't think it was all that great. Fake baby shots were obvious as well as the prosthetics. Certainly not to the level of Mystic River or J. Edgar.

The press said that Spielberg turned down the project because of budget constraints at Warners would not allow him to do the quality of picture he felt the story deserved, and to me it looks like he was right.

Bradley was a dead ringer for that role, such a sad and true story. I will say after the torching of the Jordanian pilot I have zero sympathy or tollerance for any middle Eastern Jihadist/terrorist, no God would support the barbaric likes of these groups and the world needs to work together to iradicate the planet of any and all of them.

• Like 2

I hadn't paid much attention until this thread. But the film reviews are all over the map from great to horrible.

Probably because there is a sizable segment who doesn't get all giddy over premeditated killing, even when it is justifiable and in their home nation's interest.  I consider the people who do that to be necessary and very talented in their pursuit, but it's nothing I care to go see "in action."

It was $12 for myself and my wife to go :D

I think the fact that it is based on an actual soldier is why this movie is doing well. Americans are mostly proud of our soldiers, and this guy was the top rated sniper ever in our military. He was portrayed as a good all around guy, that had an amazing skill. I won't spoil it with any details, but I think it deserves all the praise it has received. 

There are better directors than Eastwood for certain movies, but he certainly has a way of tugging on the hearts of many people. Flags of Our Fathers was a good movie.

I find Eastwood to be a one note samba as an actor.

He directed that as well.

LOL That might be two reasons it didn't appeal to me. Most Hollywood fare is simply too superficial, too safe. I am not a fan of cheap propaganda. That is the standard critique of Hollywood and their elites. And, I agree with it. The business is 92% and the art is 8%. I get interested when the art reaches say, 50%. That's where risk begins to enter. That's where one is going to be facing some challenge. Bankers aren't interested in risk. DreamWorks is a banking operation for the most part.

That's another way of saying they know how the "standard" human is emotionally-programmed and they know how to write for it.  You are saying you are programmed differently.  

Most all of my fellow military vet friends have avoided seeing it like the plague. We don't find much substance in trying to turn a sniper into a hero, and especially one who was sworn not to talk out of turn.

Like all of us, he was lucky to come home. For most, that was all we prayed for - to make it home. He seemingly sought to be elevated to a more exalted honor than just "veteran."

Nope. I might be saying my interests are not limited to simple emotional manipulation. It bores me. My interest is to explore the range of human values, conditions, morals and responses. Events have multiple dimensions. I like to explore all of them, not just the most obvious and over explored ones. If you grew up on John Ford westerns, you understand those basic three or four human story lines. "Ok, I got that. What else is there?"

Kill Bill? 

• Like 1

He was portrayed as a good all around guy, that had an amazing skill.

I think this part is misunderstood.  He is considered good because of the kill count, but the kill count was only high because he had a target-rich environment and a lot of luck.  It's not like he made shots over and over that other guys couldn't.  If you read his book, there were snipers working right next to him that were aggravated that Chris kept seeing targets but they weren't presented with any.  So, the aggravated guy demands that Chris swap spots with him, only to find that Chris is immediately presented with a target at what should have been the aggravated guy's post.  Skill has nothing to do with that.  Not to take anything away from Chris though, but acting like his skill was way beyond what other snipers could do isn't fair to the other guys.  

Never saw "Kill Bill." I was being much more general about "story telling." For instance, if someone wanted me to write a story about a sniper, I would cast it in a huge range of moral questions. Is a sniper the same as an assassin? Does every life deserve some form of due process? Was the sniper accounted for differently in other wars - WWII? Vietnam? Are there limits - what are they? What kind of accountability might be involved? Remember Ruby Ridge? Waco? What happens when the sniper turns his sights inward? What's the meaning of justice? Do wars have rules?

Keep in mind, I am not talking about "American Sniper" - which I have not seen. I am only answering your question about story depth, and going beyond simple emotions to create stories (movies, books, TV or stage) of deeper interest to me.

EDIT: I am probably WAY off topic and will leave the thread alone. My apology for the diversion from the movie topic.

It's amazing when you see an actor portray those kinds of questions with simple look of their eyes.

I hadn't paid much attention until this thread. But the film reviews are all over the map from great to horrible.

Probably because there is a sizable segment who doesn't get all giddy over premeditated killing, even when it is justifiable and in their home nation's interest.  I consider the people who do that to be necessary and very talented in their pursuit, but it's nothing I care to go see "in action."

I feel the exact same way Jeff. I think they possess not only a special talent, but an extraordinarily strong mental capacity. And the reviews are anything but all over the map, but then again, I'm not exactly selective in the articles or authors I choose to read.