Recommend a 2 channel SS receiver for La Scalas

gfong

I am looking for a good 2 channel amp/receiver to match with a pair of La Scalas for music use only.

I have IMO two decent AVR's, a Sony 5400ES and a Kenwood THX receiver. I could try the Kenwood with the LA Scalas but again it is an avr and I am only wanting to run 2 channels.

Phono and SACD will be my only function from the receiver unless it has a day built in or XM radio. I have a Bellari 130 so I can use that or the phono on the receiver which ever sounds best.

I do not want to venture into tubes right now, I just want to stay solid state.

What would be some of your suggestions?

I prefer new or current but can look into vintage. Is there a go to receiver brand or model that works well with the heritage line or specifically La Scala's? I'm just looking for ideas and do know that people's opinions and hearing is different.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

I would think the Sony 5400ES you have would do just fine, that is if it's in the same sonic league as the Sony 5400ES SACD player, which I have, like very much, and is very highly regarded.

FWIW I've been evaluating lots of AVR lately to replace a 10 year old HK. I auditioned Pioneer with the D3 digital amps, Denon, HK, all the usual stuff in that price class. IMHO Onkyo kept coming out on top, which surprised me. I finally ended with with a TX-NR939. This is a 7.2 channel AVR but they make something similar in 2-channel.

And then of course there's always the vintage tube stuff like McIntosh, Fisher, EICO & such.

I wouldn't worry about the Sony (or any other AVR) having "too many" channels for your application. The power ratings are somewhat misleading. Much of what you're not using on the other channels is generally directed to the main front channels anyway, so you end up with a little more power output for 2-channel only.

EDIT: and what willand just posted is fine too. NAD makes some great no frills put-the-money-engineering where it's needed type stuff.

Edited by artto
  • Like 2

If I were buying, and of course had to recommend something, it would be

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/r-s300/?mode=model

One thing going for it is that it will drive 4 ohm speakers and your LS dips down there.  See the manual for the impedance selection switch.  Every once in a while we get reports of protection circuits shutting down with Klipsch speakers and I believe it is because the amps are not happy with 4 ohms.

Another thing is that it has variable loudness.  This is only available on some older McIntosh units and, historically, some Yamaha units.

There are a lot of people who favor Yamaha.

You can probably find it cheaper than the MSLP.

WMcD

• Like 3

I've always had good results with Yamaha electronics, powering Klipsch and non-Klipsch speakers.  The sound tends to be clear and detailed.

As for the notorious impedance switch on some Yamaha receivers, it's best left in the 8 ohm position and forgotten about.  When the switch is set to 6 ohms or 4 ohms (depending on the model), it limits voltage to the power section, which results in weakened bass response and limited dynamics.

If you Google "Yamaha impedance switch", you'll find lots of info about it.

Here's one article in which it's mentioned:  http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-v4600/rx-v4600-setup-configuration-and-ypao

• Like 1

You may want to look for an HK 430 or 730....for the money I think they would be hard to beat.  I ran my LS's with the 730 and it was substantially better than my newer HK AVR and my Sansui AU-717 (which was pretty decent). The 730 seemed to really open up the mid-horn on the LS's....and certainly enhanced the low-end.  I now have the 730 connected to my Forte II's and it sounds very good!  I'm such a fan of the twin powered HK's, that I also have 2 of the 430's......very sweet units.

Hogfan

• Like 2

I am looking for a good 2 channel amp/receiver to match with a pair of La Scalas for music use only. I have IMO two decent AVR's, a Sony 5400ES and a Kenwood THX receiver. I could try the Kenwood with the LA Scalas but again it is an avr and I am only wanting to run 2 channels. Phono and SACD will be my only function from the receiver unless it has a day built in or XM radio. I have a Bellari 130 so I can use that or the phono on the receiver which ever sounds best. I do not want to venture into tubes right now, I just want to stay solid state. What would be some of your suggestions? I prefer new or current but can look into vintage. Is there a go to receiver brand or model that works well with the heritage line or specifically La Scala's? I'm just looking for ideas and do know that people's opinions and hearing is different. Thanks for reading.

I am looking for a good 2 channel amp/receiver to match with a pair of La Scalas for music use only. I have IMO two decent AVR's, a Sony 5400ES and a Kenwood THX receiver. I could try the Kenwood with the LA Scalas but again it is an avr and I am only wanting to run 2 channels. Phono and SACD will be my only function from the receiver unless it has a day built in or XM radio. I have a Bellari 130 so I can use that or the phono on the receiver which ever sounds best. I do not want to venture into tubes right now, I just want to stay solid state. What would be some of your suggestions? I prefer new or current but can look into vintage. Is there a go to receiver brand or model that works well with the heritage line or specifically La Scala's? I'm just looking for ideas and do know that people's opinions and hearing is different. Thanks for reading.

gfong,

I had two of the Sony 555 ES AVRs and that is supposed to be the best 5.1 channel Sony ever made. That being said, I would not use either of the two you have mentioned.

How old at you willing to go??? I tried many receivers back in the day, and would not hesitate to recommend you check into a Nakamichi TA-4A stereo receiver, or if you like the older silver faced stuff, I also loved my Pioneer SX-3900.

Roger

gfong,

I had two of the Sony 555 ES AVRs and that is supposed to be the best 5.1 channel Sony ever made. That being said, I would not use either of the two you have mentioned.

How old at you willing to go??? I tried many receivers back in the day, and would not hesitate to recommend you check into a Nakamichi TA-4A stereo receiver, or if you like the older silver faced stuff, I also loved my Pioneer SX-3900.

Roger

I've owned the Sony 555ES stuff & 5400ES. IMO the 5400ES series are head & shoulder above the 555. The Nakamichi Stasis gear is excellent.

I'm not sure what all the fascination with the vintage Pioneer solid state receivers is all about. I remember a friend of mine traded in his Fisher integrated tube amp on one of those. Ya, we all thought it sounded great at the time until years later when I hung some tube amps on the Klipschorns. Then I thought, "AH~~~~~there's that sound, just like RIck used to have before he bought that Pioneer receiver.

In retrospect, those old Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, whatever all sound tizzy to me. That was the high-point of some of the worst sounding solid state amplifiers ever made, including the likes of Crown & McIntosh. Just my opinion of course. But, if you like it, then enjoy it. After all, it's your ears you have to please & not everyone's hearing the same (that's not to say one is better or worse, just different)

Edited by artto

You may want to look for an HK 430 or 730....for the money I think they would be hard to beat.  I ran my LS's with the 730 and it was substantially better than my newer HK AVR and my Sansui AU-717 (which was pretty decent). The 730 seemed to really open up the mid-horn on the LS's....and certainly enhanced the low-end.  I now have the 730 connected to my Forte II's and it sounds very good!  I'm such a fan of the twin powered HK's, that I also have 2 of the 430's......very sweet units.

Hogfan

Same here, love my HK 730.  I have a second for back up and a 430 also.  Very sweet sounding.  No remote, but find a source that has a volume controlled output on its remote and you're good to go.

Edited by Rivernuggets

Yup! The HK 730 ended my search for a vintage receiver to power my La Scalas, I don't use it much now as I moved on to HK separates. Another recommendation would be the Marantz 2245 a great performer also, there's something about those two that make them really shine.

You probably already have all you need.

Set up both of your receivers to downmix to 2,0 or 2.1 with a sub, and use the Belari as the phono amp.

Audition both of your surround systems, and pick one.

I am totally impressed with using a THX surround receiver for stereo with downmixing.

Edited by Bubo