Black Friday/Cyber Monday - what are you buying?

wvu80

I have to agree with Jim, I have this model and it's been great. 2 batteries included, it was on sale at HD about 9 months ago for $99 Mark

Is that the 20v model with the Lith Ion batteries?  How well do the batteries keep a charge?  I've read conflicting opinions about short battery life and long battery life.

I'd really like to hold out for the 20v Lithium Ion batteries for a few more bucks.

• Moderators

I liked that DeWalt drill kit but at the time they were about twice that price. I ended up going with the Ridgid 18V mostly for the lifetime warranty on everything including the batteries and charger. The last drill i had was Craftsman and the batteries would always die about a year old and I got tired of replacing them. So far I have had no problems with this drill or batteries and they get a good amount of use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Compact-Drill-Driver-Kit-R860052K/205690161

Edited by dtel

I liked that DeWalt drill kit but at the time they were about twice that price. I ended up going with the Ridgid 18V mostly for the lifetime warranty on everything including the batteries and charger.

Thanks for the suggestion.  My son is young and a lifetime warranty would last a long time for him, not so long for me!  :lol:

I'll do some research, but I've seen the Ridgid brand before and they are always highly rated.  I'd like to see exactly what the "Lifetime Service Agreement with Registration" means.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I liked that DeWalt drill kit but at the time they were about twice that price. I ended up going with the Ridgid 18V mostly for the lifetime warranty on everything including the batteries and charger.

Thanks for the suggestion. My son is young and a lifetime warranty would last a long time for him, not so long for me! :lol:

I'll do some research, but I've seen the Ridgid brand before and they are always highly rated. I'd like to see exactly what the "Lifetime Service Agreement with Registration" means.

I like Dewalt:

"DEWALT understands that buying American products and building the American economy are important to our customers. DEWALT is now offering a selection of more than 600 different power tool, hand tool and accessory products that are being made right here in the USA using materials and components from all over the world."

• Like 3

• Moderators

Thanks for the suggestion. My son is young and a lifetime warranty would last a long time for him, not so long for me! :lol:

I'll do some research, but I've seen the Ridgid brand before and they are always highly rated. I'd like to see exactly what the "Lifetime Service Agreement with Registration" means.

Here is a link to Ridgid 18v drill at HD and saying lifetime warranty on drill and batteries.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Compact-Drill-Driver-Kit-R86008K2/205896703/?cm_mmc=cem|ridgid|r|07012015|buynow

Edited by dwilawyer
  • Like 1

... the door busters for Black Friday at Best Buy are specially made FOR Black Friday. Meaning those models are made with extra cheap parts and not expected to last as long.

I've never heard that but I absolutely believe it.

I'm a big Sam's Club guy and around Christmas time they get in pallets of not-usually-stocked HDTV's that  feature less than standard prices that you can't buy anywhere else, like a 40" TV for $300 when all the other 40 inchers are $400.  They have fewer features but otherwise look pretty good from a good brand like Samsung.

Edited by wvu80

I like Dewalt: "DEWALT understands that buying American products and building the American economy are important to our customers. DEWALT is now offering a selection of more than 600 different power tool, hand tool and accessory products that are being made right here in the USA using materials and components from all over the world."

The 20v Lithium-ion drill I like is made in Mexico.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCD771C2-Lithium-Ion-Compact-Driver/dp/B00ET5VMTU/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1446949249&sr=1-4&keywords=dewalt+20v

The older 18v NiCAD is listed as being made in USA.

Well--we have most stuff that we need and want.

We're all pretty happy with what we have and feel blessed to have it.

When I buy Christmas Gifts--it will be for others that probably won't be affected by "Black Friday".

Nothing major--Food--Shelter--Health and being together makes us better people.

We have our decorations--more than we need---so we've decided to go lite this year

and save for a down payment on a house.

Our own place would be the best present we could get.

Hope you find a peaceful choice.

• Like 4

I heard on a local talk radio station where the guest was stating that the door busters for Black Friday at Best Buy are specially made FOR Black Friday. Meaning those models are made with extra cheap parts and not expected to last as long.

I was putting my hands on the various cordless drills today at the local Lowes.  The salesman was incredibly helpful and honest.  He said almost the exact same thing you said, except he said these were quality pieces with quality "guts" but they had to save money somewhere to get the price lower.

He showed me the Dewalts and said they have already had sales meetings with the Dewalt rep who detailed for them the Black Friday models which would sell for that very competitive $99 sales point.  He said the batteries would look slightly different and the drills would be 2v instead of 3v.  Important for the contractor, less so for the hobbyist looking for his first drill around the house.

He said he was a Porter Cable guy.  There will be a $99 Black Friday special from them as well, stripped down models.  One kit will feature a 1/4" impact driver AND a 1/2" driver/drill, with two 20v Li-ion batteries ( think this one, currently $129 with the price dropping ON BLACK FRIDAY to $99).  Batteries will be 20% less powerful than the standard "red" battery, has cheaper grips with less rubber, chuck cover is plastic instead of metal like the better models, no belt clip.

Do you guys have any opinions for me regarding this Porter Cable combo?

885911321549lg.jpg

Edited by wvu80

I have to agree with Jim, I have this model and it's been great. 2 batteries included, it was on sale at HD about 9 months ago for $99 Mark

Is that the 20v model with the Lith Ion batteries?  How well do the batteries keep a charge?  I've read conflicting opinions about short battery life and long battery life.

I'd really like to hold out for the 20v Lithium Ion batteries for a few more bucks.

That was with 2 18s I think, I will check it tomorrow and get back to you on it. I've had zero issues with the batteries discharging too fast, I  was pleasantly surprised by how long they run

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a new TV this year. My Plasma is 5-6 years old and the PQ is still great, however I'd like to step up to a 65-70 inch. I've been doing a lot of browsing the last week or two. Intrigued tby the LG OLEDs but the only one in $2k or less is the 55" and I would really like to have a larger screen that that.

I purchased a Samsung 55" Curved LED 4k about 6 months ago and returned it 3 days later. IMO the PQ wasn't up to snuff with my plasma and the motion blur really pissed me off.

Kind of torn on what to go with. I've purchased nothing but Samsung's in the past but I'm a little intrigued with some of VIZIO's price offerings. I've seen multiple Black Friday ads where they will be offering their 65" 4K for $999. 

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a new TV this year. My Plasma is 5-6 years old and the PQ is still great, however I'd like to step up to a 65-70 inch. I've been doing a lot of browsing the last week or two. Intrigued by the LG OLEDs but the only one in $2k or less is the 55" and I would really like to have a larger screen that that.

I purchased a Samsung 55" Curved LED 4k about 6 months ago and returned it 3 days later. IMO the PQ wasn't up to snuff with my plasma and the motion blur really pissed me off.

Kind of torn on what to go with. I've purchased nothing but Samsung's in the past but I'm a little intrigued with some of VIZIO's price offerings. I've seen multiple Black Friday ads where they will be offering their 65" 4K for $999. 

The TV market right now is the wild, wild West.  The manufacturers tried to push 3-D and the buying public responded en masse by staying home.  The curvey screens, the same way.  Right now it seems like low prices are driving the market.

The OLED seems like a product most of want and 4K is what most of us want out of a new TV.  Since you are in the market I think a lot of people would like to know what you find on the deals that are out there for TV's.  That 65" for $1,000 seems like a great price.  I wonder if Black Friday will lower that further?

I have never participated in, or wanted to join, in the disgraceful orgy of excess that is Black Friday. I understand that for some folks it is an essential part of their holiday shopping, but considering people have actually died in the attempt to secure a bargain on some consumer good, I will refrain, yet again, from attending.

• Like 2