Black Friday/Cyber Monday - what are you buying?

wvu80

It used to be Black Friday was the day after Thanksgiving, the biggest day of the year for retailers because that is when they got back into the black in terms of of profit for the year.  Now it's the biggest day for sales.

That was followed by Cyber Monday, currently the biggest day for on-line sales.

Now it's "Black Friday Month" for the entire month of November.  I've seen "Black Friday Week."  Countless email discounts from any retail web site I've ever signed up with is cluttering my In-Box now virtually every day.

All the retailers are trying to get your disposable dollars before the other guy does.  When does it end, and when is the absolute best time to buy to get the lowest price?

Scheduled Thread Drift:  What do you plan to buy for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and when do you plan to buy it?

The past few years... I actually found (& purchased) better deals (on Amazon) the week prior to Black Friday & Cyber Monday.

On BF & CM, Amazon has screwy time limited & quantity limited deals that basically sell out seconds after they hit & the deal is over. And, even if you happen to luck out & get the deal... you are only allotted 10 -15 minutes to check out & purchase the item, or the deal expires. If you do not have Prime... you then have to find additional items to purchase (in that same 10-15 minutes) to qualify for free shipping (making the deal worthwhile). 

I usually just buy cheap movies & games.

when is the absolute best time to buy to get the lowest price?

December 26'th.

I'm not so sure.  I used to think that, but I think the stores now know that and keep prices up right after Christmas.  I have no proof, just an impression.  Some items are heavily discounted, like Christmas decorations, but I think clothing and electronic hardware doesn't drop all that much.

I'm sure you guys also know if you go to sites like Amazon and Newegg they track what you click on, and will email you "suggestions" based on what you click on.  If you keep at it, eventually they (I'm thinking Newegg especially) will send you a discount coupon.

I'm looking for a cordless drill/driver kit for my son with a $100 budget.  He is not a DIY'er or have a project in mind, he just thinks it's about time he has a drill around the house.

There are two cordless drills I like a lot, both highly rated, priced at $129 and $99.  The $99 DC970C 18V NiCAD drill has already dropped $10 to $89 just this week. 

81kPfgzUTFL._SL1500_.jpg

I like the $129 Dewalt DCD771C 20V Lithium Ion drill on Amazon because it has the light, but I want to buy it for $99.  From comments I've read, it's sold for $99 in the past.  At my local Home Depot it is $149.

61IlzctRq0L._SL1000_.jpg

I think just for fun (and because I get emails every friggin' day) I'll track the price on a spreadsheet and just see what's what.

+++

Edit:  And please feel free to comment on my choices, or to make other suggestions.  I'd like to have the triger actuated light, but that's not a deal breaker.  The $99 drill does not have the light, the $129 does.  This will be the first cordless drill of any kind my son will have, and I'd like it to be versatile (fit other tools), and to be a keeper.

Edited by wvu80

If I buy anything, it'll be online. I'm not interested in being out in public with those people that are interested in buying more stuff. I actually made a point of saying I'll only work 5 hours tops on Black Friday too this year, and that it would NOT be during any special hours. I'm honestly tired of the mindset of "Hey, we're thankful for what we have, but damnit we need to get in line to buy MORE tomorrow."

• Like 3

If you're doing ok financially, the only things worth buying on Black Friday generally speaking are washer and dryers. You can save big bucks on nice units, and they are never marked down like that any other time, and these things don't get obsolete very quickly at all. We're talking hundreds of dollars off, like 40-50% discounts.

Basically one side of me is like, why do you think that laptop is on sale? It's a stripped down model that may have been decent two years ago, that's why.

The other side recognizes that this is the only time of year that many families can afford certain electronics and I'm being a spoiled old white guy by thumbing my nose at it.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

December 26'th.

I'm not so sure.  I used to think that, but I think the stores now know that and keep prices up right after Christmas.  I have no proof, just an impression.  Some items are heavily discounted, like Christmas decorations, but I think clothing and electronic hardware doesn't drop all that much.

I'm sure you guys also know if you go to sites like Amazon and Newegg they track what you click on, and will email you "suggestions" based on what you click on.  If you keep at it, eventually they (I'm thinking Newegg especially) will send you a discount coupon.

I'm looking for a cordless drill/driver kit for my son with a $100 budget.  He is not a DIY'er or have a project in mind, he just thinks it's about time he has a drill around the house.

There are two cordless drills I like a lot, both highly rated, priced at $129 and $99.  The $99 DC970C 18V NiCAD drill has already dropped $10 to $89 just this week. 

81kPfgzUTFL._SL1500_.jpg

I like the $129 Dewalt DCD771C 20V Lithium Ion drill on Amazon because it has the light, but I want to buy it for $99.  From comments I've read, it's sold for $99 in the past.  At my local Home Depot it is $149.

61IlzctRq0L._SL1000_.jpg

I think just for fun (and because I get emails every friggin' day) I'll track the price on a spreadsheet and just see what's what.

+++

Edit:  And please feel free to comment on my choices, or to make other suggestions.  I'd like to have the triger actuated light, but that's not a deal breaker.  The $99 drill does not have the light, the $129 does.  This will be the first cordless drill of any kind my son will have, and I'd like it to be versatile (fit other tools), and to be a keeper.

I have to agree with Jim, I have this model and it's been great. 2 batteries included, it was on sale at HD about 9 months ago for $99

Mark

• Moderators

December 26'th.

Carl,

That used to always be the case, but I think I read somewhere that because of the advent of the "gift card" the prices don't drop like the used to, except of course on Christmas cards and decorations. Kids start using their gift cards in the malls following Christmas while they are still off from school.

I heard the end of the year is