Bun Warmer question (if you're knowledgeable on plumbing, read on)

Coytee

Finishing upstairs bath.  Full bath, new shower, new toilet.  The toilet is next to the shower.  The plumbing that feeds the shower, Tee's off through the wall to supply the toilet.

Toilet got installed (by me) last night.  Today, I hooked up the water supply and filled it.  Then I noticed....

Long story short, the plumber (we hired the plumbing out to a 'professional', now I'm curious)

I digress...

Anyways, the two supply pipes coming to the shower, hot on left, cold on right are evidently reversed.  I now have a hot feeding my toilet.

On the surface, that doesn't bother me much (actually not at all)

Then I noticed it was coming in warm enough that the tank and bowl were actually warm to the touch so it's dumping hot water in there.

Any issues with that?

Will the Delta shower control freak out with the hot feeding the cold input?

Fortunately, the shower is still in open walls so I have the time and opportunity to do some surgery in there and re-route the pipes to the opposite side.

Just kind of bites you in the hiney that it's hired out and they get it backwards.

I've done it myself on the basement setup (also feeding toilet hot water) so it doesn't bother me that much....but for I already know that the wife is freaked out by a warm toilet.

Add another project to the list.

If it's an easy fix to switch them I think I would. Using more hot water (for the toilet) will cost more, and it might create some condensation on and around the toilet bowl. I recently replaced  a bathroom vanity faucet. Even though the hot and cold handles were identical, one was labeled hot. There might be an issue with a rubber seal or something. Is your home on a crawl space?

Ah if you paid a plumber to do it shouldn't he(she) fix it? I know it might be hard to get them to admit they made a mistake......when I built my home the plumber made a couple mistakes which i insisted he fix. His office manager(wife) tried to charge me a second time for the fixes. I said "why didn't you do everything incorrectly then I could have paid you double".

• Like 1

The shower faucet should be reversible..........  as in adjustable w/o tearing up the wall.  Far too often hot and cold get reversed on these fixtures so they make them so they can be easily reversed.  But........  as noted.......... if the toilet uses a wax seal the hot water could impact its effectiveness AKA leakage/seepage.

Wax seal between the toilet and the floor?

If so, you should fix the supply to cold.

Holy cow, would never have thought of that. Never seen a seal other than wax. Is there such a thing? If so, are they better than wax in any way?

You can buy replacement seals that are all rubber for as they say 'a few dollars more'.  :)

Well...never thought about the wax ring.  It's one of these new ones.  Not just a wax "ring".  It has a plastic collar around it and a second (removable piece that we needed to keep) part that is used when your flange is below the tile.  I forget the name.

The plumber did this maybe 2-years ago, while I was in Florida.  I've been back now for 2-years.  It's only been the last six months or so that I've had the ability to do some things around the house (some health hiccups).

So this bathroom became a delayed project.

I've got the ability to reroute the copper pipes.  Probably have the parts I would need already on hand.  (always keep a couple parts on hand in case something happens and I don't want to drive 15 miles into town)

Wax ring....  never thought of that.

stupid wax ring!

Years ago, a plumber on one of my projects did the same thing. The fixtures were from France, and the shower valve was labeled "chaud" and "froid," or something like that. When I confronted Mickey, he admitted only to not speaking French...

Some shower valve cartridges are inherently backwards, but you shouldn't have hot water supplying the toilet.

My guess is that the shower valve has a thermostat inside to maintain the temperature of the output water by mixing hot and cold.   I believe some building codes require this on new installations or replacement installations to prevent scalding.

If the input water connections are reversed it might not function properly.  And scalding is a possibility you want to avoid.

Further, the reversal could cause problems when you or your successors want to sell the house.

I say, fix this now.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Only you Coytee  :D

I would say fix it also

But one thing to think about if the toilet is a good ways away from the hot water heater it would mostly see cool water only, unless you flush it a couple of times quickly. Like when you stand at a faucet a long way from the water heater and it takes awhile to fill the lines with hot water the whole way.