Gear Acquisitions - How Far Have You Gone?

Arrow#422

How far have you gone to acquire audio gear?  

I thought someone once posted a miles for $ comparison that was a great reference.  

Consider the driving hours to be 1 way for this thread.  

Pony express favors don't count unless you drove the entire route and actually bought at the end of the line.

Me - 9 hours for cherry RF-5's, and a RC-7 along the way - with 5 Kringles in Wisconsin as an added bonus.  :P

• Like 1

Were they O & H Kringles?

http://www.ohdanishbakery.com/ohdb/CATEGORY?scrcrtchk=20110930083319853000&scrcrtnum=107242532&scrcatnum=130&scrclropt=N&gclid=CNWo99GY4bMCFUZgMgod-l8AcQ

My farthest was less than half that to meet Michael Colter in Fort Wayne, IN to buy a pair of La Scalas.

I swapped cash and a bunch of dead or dying Advents. Michael C. can't resist anything with even the potential to make music.

post-6832-0-26880000-1451228674_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-31360000-1451228685_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

I was thinking we probably don't want to challenge Mr. Colter, my bet says he'll probably outdo most if not all of us.

That said, my trip was Knoxville/Chicago, I think about 12 hour drive one way.  Took about a week to do it staying a couple days in Indianapolis and a couple days in Cincinnati on my way up/down.

Brought Khorns home that then went from here to Athens Georgia and if I recall the story correctly, later went from Athens to somewhere in mid/southern Florida.  Turns out those little Khorns were tramps that really got around.  :wub:

• Like 2

I agree that Mr. C. has probably logged more miles in total, if not one way on a single trip.

Tangentially involved with my Ft. Wayne transaction with Michael, was a single 50's component-less Klipschorn.  When Michael decided he could live without it, I sent it on it's way to a collector in Belgium.

Most of my gear has fallen right into my lap over the last 24 years... Some 24 years ago when my wife stumbled on our LaScala's in the Sunday paper and we took that grueling 45 minute drive to get em.

Man that was tough.....lol lol

But the longest drive was about 1.5 hours into Pa. to get our four KP-362's... For this we had to take both of our Honda Odyssey vans. I traded a guy all of my old audio gear I had laying around the house.. It was so much stuff it filled both our vans.... Every thing from some BIG old Altec's to 3 Bose 901's, Bose 601's some advents and a bunch of old PA amps to all kinds of drivers x-overs I had.

It was a good deal for both of us.

So since this was two vehicles does that make it double?? Lol lol

MKP :-)

Colters longest trip that I am aware of was from Indy to Marshals in Florida, to pick up some MCM-1900s and his KP-600s.

I am not sure if that trip counts though as he flew and shipped the speakers.

As for myself, it was around 20 hours drive home in a U-Haul from Texas with my first pair of KP-600s in Texas. I have also traveled 14 hours one way to pick up three TSCM top hats and some Pro LaScalas from Boston, as well as drive 18 hours one way to deliver those KP-450s to Maine a little while back. Plus around an 7 hour one way to pick up a whole trailer full of stuff from Pittsburg, and I have shipped here in Ohio from the California coast. :)

And, I have to get 6 stacks plus two cabinets home from Louisiana in May :) 

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Mine are miniscule by comparison.

Drove from Austin to Denton to pick up a KSP 300 system, went to my cousins, spent the night, and drove back.

Drove from Austin to Pineville Arkansas to pick up 2 pairs of La Scallas

Drove 15 minutes to pick up a pair of Khorns in Austin

Drove from Austin to, Arlington I believe it was, and picked up a pair of Cornwalls from Bill Hendrix.

My biggest ADVENTURE was on less than 12 hours notice about their location and availability, flying plane from Austin out to deep East Texas to a long shut-down movie theater to get a pair of never used TSCM speakers, fitting them in airplane, tying them down, getting their published weights, and flying them back to Austin.

My most satisfyingy adventure was two road trips to Hope, meeting Chief Engineer in Hope, and becoming good friends, outside of Audio and Klipsch. Ended up buying a new, custom, one-off set of Jubilees. Met what turned out to be some very close friends in that process.

The longest acquisition I have personally been involved with is when TimKid flew to Austin to pick up a piece of Mac tube gear from me.

He sent me in return, among other things, a set of rare Heineken Branded speakers. He is quite the man.

Travis

• Like 2

The farthest road trip that I'm aware of was while I was watching minermark's big Pony Express run from his place in Sacramento California to St. Louis earlier this summer that was approximately 2,000 miles one-way when he acquired the four stacks of Klipsch pro speakers and offered up any extra room in his trailer for forum members along the way.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/157628-pony-express-run-available/

My own longest has been 800 miles one-way from Danbury, CT to Indianapolis, IN for a pair of Oris 150 horns, Lowther Alnico magnet drivers and the dual Cabasse driver bass bins.   I've done various day trips in the 350 mile one-way range, such as when I bought my Khorns, then again when I bought my Jubilees.

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

The farthest road trip that I'm aware of was while I was watching minermark's big Pony Express run from his place in California to St. Louis earlier this summer that was approximately 2,000 miles one-way when he acquired the four stacks of Klipsch pro speakers.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/157628-pony-express-run-available/

My own longest has been 800 miles one-way from Danbury, CT to Indianapolis, IN for a pair of Oris 150 horns, Lowther Alnico magnet drivers and the dual Cabasse driver bass bins.   I've done various day trips in the 350 mile one-way range, such as when I bought my Khorns, then again when I bought my Jubilees.

Minemark's recent run was a well noted adventure which also served to alert the forum of some fantastic equipment availability.

His acquisitions definitely made his trip "worth it".

Thank you for sharing !

Edited by Arrow#422
  • Like 1

KC to Chicago for Belles

KC to north Iowa for Cornwalls

Best deal, best speakers - Fastlane modified/ALK KHorns delivered to KC from St. Louis carried in and set up downstairs

Another good deal - my friend Zim delivered LaScallas from north KC to south KC

All in a good days work and well worth it

Colters longest trip that I am aware of was from Indy to Marshals in Florida, to pick up some MCM-1900s and his KP-600s.

I am not sure if that trip counts though as he flew and shipped the speakers.

As for myself, it was around 20 hours drive home in a U-Haul from Texas with my first pair of KP-600s in Texas. I have also traveled 14 hours one way to pick up three TSCM top hats and some Pro LaScalas from Boston, as well as drive 18 hours one way to deliver those KP-450s to Maine a little while back. Plus around an 7 hour one way to pick up a whole trailer full of stuff from Pittsburg, and I have shipped here in Ohio from the California coast. :)

And, I have to get 6 stacks plus two cabinets home from Louisiana in May :) 

Roger

You don't HAVE to get 6 stacks, you could take 4 and leave a pair for us commoners. Better yet, you could detour thru Chicago and drop a pair off. That could add a few miles :D :D :D

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996
  • Like 1

East side of Cincinnati, borrowed a pick-up in NW Cincinnati (Colerain Twp.), picked up a friend in Harrison, OH, drove to to Chicagoland (Barrington). Back to East side of Cincinnati, then back to Harrison to drop off the friend and Colerain to drop off the truck. Finally back to East Cincinnati............

.........all in 16-hours for a pair of CWO 1.5's with Cain grills.

Edited by Mighty Favog