Measure Of Todays Youth

JJkizak

5 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

It's also a wonderment to me how fast their fingers manipulate those tiny cell phone buttons.

Unfortunately a lot of manipulation goes on while they're driving.  I see it constantly as I drive to work 30 minutes each way.  They look like drunk drivers when you follow them as they can't stare at their phone and text while staying in their lane at the same time.  It's unbelievable how attached they are to their phones.  They can't stay off them for 10 minutes when they run an errand.  It's my new number one peeve.

• Like 2

They can't stay off them for 10 minutes when they run an errand.  It's my new number one peeve.

I'm THIS close to pulling one of them over and slapping them silly when I see this....... daily. Can't tell you how many times I've had a vehicle coming at me head-on and you know damn well it's because they're texting. It's as bad or worse than driving drunk.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Unfortunately a lot of manipulation goes on while they're driving.  I see it constantly as I drive to work 30 minutes each way.  They look like drunk drivers when you follow them as they can't stare at their phone and text while staying in their lane at the same time.  It's unbelievable how attached they are to their phones.  They can't stay off them for 10 minutes when they run an errand.  It's my new number one peeve.

At least the drunk is trying to look at where he wants to go.

• Like 1

My kids are 30 and 32, both are doing awesome and completely on their own. I kept them very busy when they were kids, sports mostly, and they both had chores and taught nothing comes for free...

My friend has two at home, 22 and 17. Both are selfish, The oldest is getting better " I think is starting to grow up" , but the 17 year old just runs the house and expects Money and Things for free. I really feel bad for my friend because of the turmoil in the house.

7 hours ago, T2K said:

They can't count...don't even think about giving them a $10 bill, a $1 bill and three quarters when they say 'that'll be $6.72.

Still using cash?  I finally quit for the most part.  Credit Card gives 3% cash back. I never have to count money.  Never have to deal with change stacking up.  I charge almost everything - even stuff for under $1.00.  Who wants to deal with change?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes!  We can't get autonomous cars soon enough!  It's unfathomable that they text and drive; I see it all the time.  Probably 15-20% of all drivers are doing it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Yes!  We can't get autonomous cars soon enough!  It's unfathomable that they text and drive; I see it all the time.  Probably 15-20% of all drivers are doing it.

Or make the punishment be strict enough to really discourage this choice they make to text while trying to drive. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I find myself doing this a lot more now while driving because of cell phones....checking left, right, behind and front. I'm always scanning around when driving.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve_S said:

I find myself doing this a lot more now while driving because of cell phones....checking left, right, behind and front. I'm always scanning around when driving.

I do, too!  You know what?  I drive slow, now.  My brother even complained, "Can you go any slower?"  I think I have turned into an old man.  Damn!

58 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I think I have turned into an old man

i feel you Jeff.  Yesterday four of us are talking at work. One guy my age and my BOSS and another manager are both same age. We’re talking about beers.  I tell a story about how when i was a teen and my brother-in-law was buying me some beer--i wanted a 12 pack of Hamms.  My boss and his counterpart look at each other and shrug their shoulders. I tell them about the beer and the land of sky blue waters....the guy my age knows what i’m talking about and laughs. My boss looks at his counterpart and says, “if our dads were here they’d be laughing."

That was a tough blow to endure. 

• Like 1

Speak for yourselves. My daughter is 20, a junior in college, works full time as a manager at tractor supply, runs a fashion and jewelry business on the side, has zero student loan debt, zero consumer debt, zero federal grants, and even has Klipsch towers in the living room of the house she is renting on her own. If your kids turn out to be whiny and attached little losers, youre raising them wrong.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Speak for yourselves. My daughter is 20, a junior in college, works full time as a manager at tractor supply, runs a fashion and jewelry business on the side, has zero student loan debt, zero consumer debt, zero federal grants, and even has Klipsch towers in the living room of the house she is renting on her own. If your kids turn out to be whiny and attached little losers, youre raising them wrong.

it sounds like you did a fabulous job on raising your daughter BUT only one pair of Klipsch speakers in the house

my kid has over 50 in ceiling Klipsch speakers in his house. just sayin :D

• Like 2

^^^^^

Lot of truth there, congrats. My daughter, now 26, had her Masters at 23, a nurse practitioner at 24 now making six figures working three days a week. Zero debt. It's not only how they are raised but their internal drive/ambition. She had her life planned out till she was thirty and so far right on schedule. My son raised in the same house was not nearly ambitious but found his way to a career in LE. Couldnt be more proud of either of them.

And to the above comments on texting/cell phone driving try dodging all that on a motorcycle. Your head best be on a pivot.. I know mine is ---

Years ago we had a mom and her son in our shop. They were there to pick up the sons car that I just worked on. The son was maybe in his 20's.

I was up front in the office while my wife was processing the charge.... of course the mom was paying the bill for her sons car...

Well this kid was so rude.... disrespecting his mom...talking all kinds of trash.... I was amazed.... Well, my wife finally heard enough... She stopped what she was doing and turned to the kid and said " You can talk to your mom like that in your own house but not in my shop in front of me.... get out of my office!!!" They both looked at my wife like this woman is crazy.... The son walked out.... The mom turned to my wife and said "thank you"...... There was some other small talk..... But we never saw them again....

I guess the kid told his mom we're never taking my car back to that shop:o

MKP :-)

• Like 1

As a childless bachelor I don't have very many experiences with young people.  I do though visit Illinois Institute of Technology campuses from time to time.  The students are industrious, intelligent, and polite.  I wish they didn't call me "sir"  and offer me a seat on the bus but that could be because of the grey hair. Smile.

Have you seen the classic Sci-Fi movie, The Giant Behemoth?  The protagonist explains, "There is no statistical distribution of radio active contamination."  This is often mentioned phenomenon that creatures at the top of the food chain accumulate the bad stuff.

But it got me to thinking.  Yup, there is a statistical distribution of block heads in the population whether you look at gender, race, age, ethnicity.  We can estimate that two percent (pick a number) are stinkers and it includes whatever group(s) you're a part of -- though the latter is difficult to see.

There is also an explanation in scripture about how this is not noticed more.  You can see a speck of sawdust (small flaw or moat) in someone's eye, but you cannot see the beam (big chunk of wood) in your own -- something which should bother you.  Therefore it always appears that your group is without the two percent and the others have 80 percent.  

Be careful in criticizing youth.  That young guy with the mullet is your heart surgeon.  Smile.

WMcD

• Like 1

3 kids, all graduated high school and are doing great. One went on to college and got her BS in the medical field, married to her high school bf and, through hard work, he became a pilot. Her twin sister is married and independently financially successful...I couldn't pay her to go to college and she had the AP classes in school. My son worked for a few years, then did 4 years in the Marines. Been out for ~ a year, working and doing what he wants. They do what's right, even if they don't want to.

I agree in it does matter how kids are raised.  

• Like 1