UPS Issues

jcmusic

I learned this lesson the hard way and started taking pictures of stuff as a I packed it up to show what the pre-ship condition was.  File a claim, submit any pictures you have, and go from there.  UPS, USPS, FedEx, DHL, they all ship and destroy stuff.  I remember getting a package that had the tire tread mark on it when they ran over the corner with the forklift.  In that case the seller simply sent me another one as he wanted me to be happy.  At the very least, these companies know when they mess up.  They should be more proactive, include an apology note and offer to help with the claims process.  I realize how "perfect world" sounding that is but anything is possible if a company chooses to embrace it. 

I just had a Carver TFM-55 shipped to me and it arrived damaged. Seller actually did an ok job packaging, used sheets of Styrofoam on all sides but left about 6 inches of slop front to back and a few inches on both sides so the amp was able slide around inside the package. Even when things are shipped in the "steel box" they need to be packed tight and protected from itself inside that box.

Sorry to hear about your tape deck, hopefully you can find a suitable replacement?

UPS will certainly deny the claim the first time around, I've been told they do that to everyone and it cuts down their payouts by at least 50% as a lot of people just don't fight it. If you keep pushing it they should eventually pay you, assuming it was packaged properly in a good box.

This should be a good reminder to anyone planning on shipping anything this month as all of the carriers are extremely busy and throwing stuff around. If you must ship something make sure to take the time to pack things with extra care and expect that the package will be dropped, probably several times along the way.

I shipped a cassette deck that I sold on eBay. It sold for about $40 so it wasn't expensive. I shipped it UPS through Staples. I opened a claim through UPS and they got Staples shipping involved.  It went very smooth, but I think that was because it was only worth $40. I issued the guy his refund and I was mailed a check a couple of weeks later.

I shipped a small pair of speakers that were well packed.  They were destroyed.  I filed a claim and they denied it.  Lately, when I ship something coming back to me, I pay extra and let them pack it.  This way if something happens, they will have to pay the claim.  When ever possible, it's best to use original pack boxes and material.  The only problem is where to store all those empty boxes forever.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this Jeff.

UPS destroyed an RC-64 being shipping to me in 2010.  After the seller pushed and pushed, a claim did happen.  Proof it was packed properly was the best ammo to get things moving.  Work closely with your tape deck repair guy.  Did he take pictures of the box before it left?

• Moderators

Canyon man, so sorry to hear about this.  Which deck, the Ontari, not the Sauder I hope?

I have claims with several of them and UPS was easiest to deal with.  

There are a few different ways it can go.  Is it repairable?  If so, get an estimate from repair shop if possible.  If total loss, then see if repair/service facility will give you a statement of condition, and fair market value for that condition when it left their hands.

I take it there are no issues with the way it was packaged for return shipping?

I've not had to ship much personal stuff but do my fair share of shipping various computer equipment pieces for my employer.

On 12/9/2016 at 9:32 PM, Schu said:

The only thing ups proof is a pelican case.

usually, the above is true, but I did have FedEx lose a Pelican case, probably insured for about $10k.  they claimed the label came off or some crap.  they cut my padlock off, and then reclosed it with those metal band straps.  it was coming to me in metro Jackson from Athens GA.  they found it in SLC.  morons.  and to this day, they still goof up too many of my shipments.  I think they have my name on a hit list or something -_-

See https://consumerist.com/2013/06/12/ups-doesnt-offer-insurance-even-if-an-employee-tells-you-it-does/

I'd use FedEx Ground...as does Klipsch.  Personally, I've not had an issue with FedEx.

Chris

Chris, this reminds me of another member who used to post here who was adamant about how he will never use the USPS again.  His experience brought him to that conclusion.  Just as my experience has led me to mistrust FedEx, while I have never had a problem with the USPS.  And, that has nothing to do with my last experience of FedEx tearing down utility poles and leaving us without electricity for a day this past summer.  This is the essence of YMMV.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2016 at 5:22 AM, Hardway1969 said:

I learned this lesson the hard way and started taking pictures of stuff as a I packed it up to show what the pre-ship condition was.  File a claim, submit any pictures you have, and go from there.  UPS, USPS, FedEx, DHL, they all ship and destroy stuff.  I remember getting a package that had the tire tread mark on it when they ran over the corner with the forklift.  In that case the seller simply sent me another one as he wanted me to be happy.  At the very least, these companies know when they mess up.  They should be more proactive, include an apology note and offer to help with the claims process.  I realize how "perfect world" sounding that is but anything is possible if a company chooses to embrace it. 

ME TOOO!!

I built some expensive headlight retrofits for myself, and sold em soon after.
 I packaged them up well, and the buyer got 1 box mangled, a blackish flat mark across it, and the headlight was busted in 2.

I took a pic of me standing on one of the same exact types of housings and it not deforming 1 bit (I was approx 330lbs then). We had some run arounds with USPS not wanting to honor the insurance, but we kept pushing and they finally caved.