Car Thread

burninator

On 7/27/2022 at 11:11 AM, Tarheel said:

Looking for advice on tuning modules specifically the JB4 module for a 2012 BMW Z4 35is.  335hp now and looking to get to 400hp at stage 1 boost.  35,000 miles, daily driver.  Safe is #1 priority....don't want to hurt the engine.

Has anyone here done this and would you do it again?

I've run the JB4 in my Q60 for about three years now, and along with the DTE PedalBox, driving the car is a much more enjoyable experience.  As I can only get 91-octane here in CA, I've programmed the JB4 to be on the safe side with a max of 5psi over stock.  But even at that modest level, engine performance is quite impressive.  And I do believe that the JB4 is undetectable once removed from the vehicle - I've had it at the dealer three times for warranty purposes (software recalls and leaking water pump) and they never once asked if I had ever "modded" the motor.

I imagine you would get the same performance results with your Z4, perhaps even better as Burger Motors is primarily BMW oriented.  Highly recommended. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, scalawag said:

Highly recommended. 

Thank you. Much agreed by OWNERS of the JB4 on cars. So are you saying your car doesn't drive erratically with a boost in torque?  How strange haha.  Burger motorsports makes some great products.   Only way it MIGHT be detectable is if you have to tap into AFR wire for stage 2 levels of boost. Tiny pinhole in wire coveted by loom anyhow.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

I'm not making assumptions.  But... I do have little more experience than the single example I have shown.

OK ,  so   your assumption is a  5.2 liter engine V10  for the R8  is a VW  , carry on 

10 minutes ago, OO1 said:

OK ,  so   your assumption is a  5.2 liter engine V10  for the R8  is a VW  , carry on 

Again, I never assumed anything.  I know a little bit about the Lambo-borrowed Audi motor, too. 

My first response proved a point in that they weren't as different as you claimed.  Please stop coming back with 'my assumptions'. 

• Like 1

Not too  fast  here ,   Porsche Audi purists dont care about the  VW marketing  , or the rebadged  VW A3 -VR6 ,  the  Audi  RS-R  , RS , Lambo V10   , and the  911  have no VW equivalent  , let's get 1 thing clear ,  a 911 Turbo or R8  aint a VW 

On 6/26/2022 at 11:41 PM, parlophone1 said:

Subaru looks and sounds mean, beautiful car and very well driven.

Nice to see Dodge Viper still on the road.

Of all electrical cars only Porsche 718 sounded a sort of nice. All others are too sterile.

My comment is in reference to the fastest laps at Goodwood video, where the electric Ford van (!?!) set a very fast lap, not “fast for a van”, faster than many race cars fast.  Then some kind of closed single-seater electric race car came out and set the shocking fast new lap record.

In racing, speed and power are everything.  Sounds are a distant second.  In the 1970s, when the Yamaha TZ750s started winning every motorcycle road race, some fans grumbled about the sounds they made, preferring the sounds of the older (and slower) 4-strokes.  However, over time, seeing the results made them learn to love the sounds of the big TZs.

The same thing will happen to the sounds of the electric cars.  As they keep breaking lap records, they’ll come to be seen/heard as the new sound of power.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Islander said:

My comment is in reference to the fastest laps at Goodwood video, where the electric Ford van (!?!) set a very fast lap, not “fast for a van”, faster than many race cars fast.  Then some kind of closed single-seater electric race car came out and set the shocking fast new lap record.

In racing, speed and power are everything.  Sounds are a distant second.  In the 1970s, when the Yamaha TZ750s started winning every motorcycle road race, some fans grumbled about the sounds they made, preferring the sounds of the older (and slower) 4-strokes.  However, over time, seeing the results made them learn to love the sounds of the big TZs.

The same thing will happen to the sounds of the electric cars.  As they keep breaking lap records, they’ll come to be seen/heard as the new sound of power.

Somehow I can't see the smell of high octane and the thunder of huge horsepower connecting ever being replaced in drag racing. When I go I go for that audible and physical experience and if tire smoking and fast times is all it becomes due to regulations I wont be going again. Now the crashes might be a lot more exciting to see as fires that can't be easily put out exploding on to the scene could be interesting.

Circle tracks and road courses would have to be short races too and no more long endurance races which would be impossible with batteries.

On 7/30/2022 at 6:33 PM, OO1 said:

Not too  fast  here ,   Porsche Audi purists dont care about the  VW marketing  , or the rebadged  VW A3 -VR6 ,  the  Audi  RS-R  , RS , Lambo V10   , and the  911  have no VW equivalent  , let's get 1 thing clear ,  a 911 Turbo or R8  aint a VW 

And yet 911 is Ladybird's Beetle half-sister, they have the same father and the same architecture!  ☺️

11 hours ago, Dave A said:

Somehow I can't see the smell of high octane and the thunder of huge horsepower connecting ever being replaced in drag racing. When I go I go for that audible and physical experience and if tire smoking and fast times is all it becomes due to regulations I wont be going again. Now the crashes might be a lot more exciting to see as fires that can't be easily put out exploding on to the scene could be interesting.

Circle tracks and road courses would have to be short races too and no more long endurance races which would be impossible with batteries.

I miss the smell of Castrol R from 2-stroke race bikes, and the wail of the TZ750s, but their time has passed, sadly.  When I was wrenching for a TZ250 rider at Daytona in 1974, I got to hear all the bikes on the high banks, and the Harley-Davidsons sounded to me like World War II fighters roaring by.  It was a great sound, but it was the sound of an era that was ending, and those sounds have not been heard at race tracks for 40 years or more, except in Battle of the Twins races and some vintage classes.

The sound of big 4-strokes has come back, but now it’s high-revving 4-cylinder bikes, both inline and V-4, plus that Honda V-5 model that’s been very successful.  All the MotoGP bikes are spinning up to 18,000 rpm, which necessitates pneumatic valve springs, which are apparently pretty simple in construction.  The engines are putting out around 300 horsepower (the exact numbers are secret), allowing the bikes to reach 350 km/hr (218 mph) at tracks with long enough straights.  I don’t think any of the tracks currently in use have straights long enough to reach their actual top speeds, which could be as high as 370 km/hr (230 mph).

Imagine yourself on one of those bikes on a long straight.  You made a good exit from the last turn, so you got a good drive onto the straight, which makes a big difference at the other end of the straight.  So there you are, approaching the turn at the end of the straight.  You know from readings during practice that this rpm in top gear equals around that very high speed, and your braking marker is approaching very rapidly.  You still have the throttle wide open, because racing is all maximum acceleration followed by maximum braking, then maximum speed in the turn without flying off the track.  Some sliding will be expected.

The bike is not at its top speed, so it’s still accelerating, then it’s time to close the throttle and hit that big dual-disc carbon-carbon front brake hard enough to lift the back tire off the pavement, but not too high, and hang onto the brake until you’ve slowed enough to enter the turn.  That’s a pretty tense experience, but you have to do it lap after lap, on the short straights as well as the scarier long ones.

Mind you, if you’re in that position, it’s because you’ve earned it by competing since you were a kid, and being a consistent winner in class after class, year after year.  They don’t let just anybody ride a bike that costs 2 million dollars, much less race it.

Oops, I got a bit carried away there.  To sum up, eras come and go, and so do certain bikes or cars.  The bikes I raced are now seen only in Vintage classes, but their speeds certainly didn’t feel Vintage back then.

Secondly, I get a bit overwhelmed just thinking about the intensity of the experience of racing the modern bikes, which have enough traction to injure a rider without crashing.  Several riders have had to get operations on their forearms to stop “arm pump”, due to how hard they have to hang on to the grips.  It surfaced first in motocross, but now the 1000cc MotoGP bikes are causing it, too.

Okay, that’s it.  I’ll add a relevant video when I see one.

EDIT:  I found a good stoppie clip.  The class is World Superbike, so unlike the prototypes seen in MotoGP, these bikes are based on production machines, kind of like NASCAR relative to Formula 1, except that the bikes look pretty similar.  Modern super sport street bikes look a lot like WSB or MotoGP bikes.  Anyway, the rider is Oncu, and the Razgatlioglu referred to is the new World Superbike Champion.  I don't follow USB, so these Turkish names are new on me.

So, to get to the point, braking is super important.  Since bikes stop harder than they accelerate, you can gain a lot of time by braking later than the guy beside you, because he suddenly becomes the guy behind you.  With the short wheelbases of bikes, compared to cars, and the higher centre of gravity, the back wheel gets pretty light.  This happened a lot when I was racing a Production Class bike.  

All the Production bikes are stock, so they're all pretty similar in performance.  This means that you look everywhere for ways to get around the track faster than the guy beside you.  That meant that it was typical to have two abreast or even three abreast approaching and entering turns, all riders on RZ350s and GPZ550s, and GPZ750s when we raced in the 750 class, which was permitted in the rules.  Wirth everybody trying to brake the at the latest possible instant, stoppies would be happening.  We called it "brake dancing".  Sometimes there might be some elbowing, or maybe a hip check, with the back wheels in the air all the while.  Of course, we were riding 200 km/hr (125 mph) street bikes, not 320 km/hr (200 mph) World Superbikes, so it was somewhat less stressful.  As for the hanging the leg out, that became trendy about ten years ago, and I still don't know why.  In this clip Oncu gets the back wheel extra high, which is a bit chancy.  He also downshifts twice while braking, as you do.  The clip is only 15 seconds long, but it's a great example of maximum braking while approaching a turn.  One click will take you to YouTube.