What I Got Today!

Brac

26c6271e05c107adf0736cbcc25addd8.jpg

I like this DAC so much I bought another one for another system in the house. Been rolling tubes in it and upgraded the already upgraded opamps that came with it.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Just ordered one up myself. Looking forward to how its going to sound with my La Scalas!

• Like 1

One thing is for certain with this DAC.....it takes a good 50 hours for this DAC to really open up. Like I said, I bought a second one I liked it so much and the second one was just like the first one as far as break in time.

Reading reviews on it before I bought it and others claimed this as well and from my experience they were right.

Did you get the upgraded GE tube and the upgraded OPA627 op-amps?

• Like 1

One thing is for certain with this DAC.....it takes a good 50 hours for this DAC to really open up. Like I said, I bought a second one I liked it so much and the second one was just like the first one as far as break in time.

Reading reviews on it before I bought it and others claimed this as well and from my experience they were right.

Thanks for the heads up, I read that as well. I did go with the upgraded op-amp version. How difficult is it to install the op-amps?

• Like 1

Funny you should ask... they are extremely easy to install however, I really learned my lesson. Not knowing anything about electronics under the hood I installed them backwards, and fried the op amps. A very expensive mistake. Just make sure they're installed the right way there's an indicator mark on the op-amp and one on the board I did not know that. Otherwise it's very very simple.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Another item added to my wish list.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 1

Did you get the upgraded GE tube as well? I've read that the standard Chinese tube really sucks.

I did, they had it offered for free. When I ordered they said they wouldn't be shipping anything till the lunar new year was over though, kind of a bummer. 

Well, at least it's over in a couple days from now. If you got the express shipping ($25) you should have it in about a week.

Finely feeding another one of my hobby's.

It's been quite a few years since I passed on all of my Ham gear.

Iv been keeping my eye's on the web for quite some time and Tech is coming along just fine in the shortwave world.

After a feverish three day's, iv decided on the best/latest ease of use radio receiver for world wide listening.

Last time I did this I was 10, getting shocked, touching and getting burned by Tubes/solder iron, and stringing a long wire antenna(s) in the rain!  :ohmy:

Most Hams start out that way :cool:

Next week the antenna goodies should trickle in, then I get to just sit here and push a button and see what ISIS is up to :emotion-21:

http://www.palstar.com/en/shortwave/

post-57941-0-92720000-1455508616_thumb.p

• Like 3

Iv been keeping my eye's on the web for quite some time and Tech is coming along just fine in the shortwave world.

After a feverish three day's, iv decided on the best/latest ease of use radio receiver for world wide listening.

Last time I did this I was 10, getting shocked, touching and getting burned by Tubes/solder iron, and stringing a long wire antenna(s) in the rain!  :ohmy:

Next week the antenna goodies should trickle in, then I get to just sit here and push a button and see what ISIS is up to :emotion-21:

5 watts audio.  You got a single LaScala or something in mind?

• Like 1

I recently read an article about ambient lighting. The main points of the article's recommendation were the following:

-Less strain on your eyes during long viewing periods

-Improves TVs black level performance

I've never struggled with eye strain at home, more on my computer at work and I was already pleased with my TV's black level performance but I still thought it was worth a shot. They recommended a $30 LED strip off of Amazon but stressed the most important criteria was the 6500k color. Therefore, I just purchased a $16 6500k White LED rope light from Wal-Mart and wrapped it around the wall mount twice. 

I thought it turned out pretty well, and I do like the effect that it has. Anyone else have experience or tips with Ambient lighting for your viewing area?

post-51058-0-18840000-1455543544_thumb.j

post-51058-0-03520000-1455543552_thumb.j

post-51058-0-67920000-1455543559_thumb.j

• Like 1

How does an external light source improve the internal black level performance of a monitor?

I think you meant, the illusion of improved black level performance...

Install looks very clean and it does have good look.

Edited by Schu

5 watts audio.  You got a single LaScala or something in mind?

I saw the 5watt output in the specs and thought to myself, they have an engineer who is into sound quality, then I see the speaker they are promoting with the unit, looks to be pretty nice. 

When I get this unit fired up, I will plug something into it, if it sounds good i'll get their speaker.

One thing iv learned with toys, buy every option they offer.

How does an external light source improve the internal black level performance of a monitor?

I think you meant, the illusion of improved black level performance...

Install looks very clean and it does have good look.

Precisely. I am not naive enough to think that this affects actual black level performance whatsoever. More so the perceived black levels. 

Edited by johnnydrama
  • Like 1

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!