Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Official Thread

wvu80

On 12/15/2017 at 8:47 PM, dwilawyer said:

I saw first three, in order, in order, when originally released, in Bay Area Century Theaters in California, in 70 MM set up with sound systems that were the "laboratory" for what would eventually become Lucas Sound.

@dwilawyer

If you saw The Empire Strikes Back at the Century 21 in San Jose in 1980, and saw two people sitting in the center of the front row, that could have been my wife and me.  It was sharp and clear up there, even that close. 

They measured SPL in one of the 70mm theaters (I don't know which one) during the run of Empire and found 108 dB rare, but repetitive, peaks along with some 110 dB peaks in the bass.  That was in a folder stuffed with info I got from THX a few years later.  As you know, they now permit peaks up to 115 dB in the bass.

We never imagined, 37 years ago, that we would have a home theater with marginally  better sound than the 70mm theaters had then, and projection almost as good, but still smaller in angle of view.  When 8K for the home finally comes, and becomes affordable, it should theoretically match the 70mm of those days.

Not that I know definitively, but I've heard that there is a lot of trolling on RT and due to their lax policy of accepting new reviews then the possibility of trolls bringing down scores is a real issue.  There is some credence that SW junkies are looking for some level or story arc that isn't appearing and thus they also pull down the rating.  I've seen several movies that I'm not sure that it meets all criteria for a "great" movie, but I'm entertained and for me that's good enough.  YMMV.

On 10/10/2017 at 11:47 AM, JJkizak said:

At roughly that time (early seventies) the Vietnam war ended, the oil cartel was bleeding us dry, interest rates were 18% to buy a house, and other stuff so people were in a constantly foul mood.

JJK

At the end of the very first one, I remember some hippie looking fellow yelling out, with great enthusiasm both hands in the air: "And the good wins over evil once again." It really was uplifting and fantastic for it's time and special effects.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:13 PM, dwilawyer said:

Ok, what's the deal?  Pro reviews say it's great.  Theater goers say it sucked.  Are reviewers afraid to say emperor has no clothes?  Do theater goers/SW fans have too high of expectations? 

Screenshot_20171217-221520.png

Go check out some of your favorite albums on ITunes.   Check out the popularity or download rating.....yeah, some of the best songs don't even get a couple of ticks.   The population as a whole loves Bose too, but does that mean they're right?   There are some people out there that think every individual should be required to only enter marriage including someone with an opposing race so we can meld into one global group that shares traits from genetic, social and cultural aspects....

Although, there are agreements and some people get things right, like a broke clock twice a day, but In a few short words, trust no one but yourself.

Flying to LA to visit family for Christmas... AmericanAirlines magazine has a good interview/story on Mark Hamill and includes the new movie. No spoilers in it, but he said that, after so many years, he knows his character, but went with what they wrote. He said it is a bit darker...  I really want to see it, but my wife isn't really into scifi that much. I always tell her it's still the stories about the people (she did like 'The Force Awakens' though, and 'Ender's Game'.)

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/20/2017 at 5:41 PM, Marvel said:

Flying to LA to visit family for Christmas... AmericanAirlines magazine has a good interview/story on Mark Hamill and includes the new movie. No spoilers in it, but he said that, after so many years, he knows his character, but went with what they wrote. He said it is a bit darker...  I really want to see it, but my wife isn't really into scifi that much. I always tell her it's still the stories about the people (she did like 'The Force Awakens' though, and 'Ender's Game'.)

I saw it tonight,  drug by force.

I really liked it.

Bruce, your wife will like it, lots of story there.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/20/2017 at 12:52 AM, ftgf said:

Big Star Wars fan. This movie broke my heart. Still grieving. 

I'm not really a fan at all, but I really liked it.  I didn't really care for last two and had to be drug kicking and screaming to this one,

Maybe it was because I had low expectations? 

• Moderators
On 12/18/2017 at 1:07 AM, garyrc said:

@dwilawyer

If you saw The Empire Strikes Back at the Century 21 in San Jose in 1980, and saw two people sitting in the center of the front row, that could have been my wife and me.  It was sharp and clear up there, even that close. 

They measured SPL in one of the 70mm theaters (I don't know which one) during the run of Empire and found 108 dB rare, but repetitive, peaks along with some 110 dB peaks in the bass.  That was in a folder stuffed with info I got from THX a few years later.  As you know, they now permit peaks up to 115 dB in the bass.

We never imagined, 37 years ago, that we would have a home theater with marginally  better sound than the 70mm theaters had then, and projection almost as good, but still smaller in angle of view.  When 8K for the home finally comes, and becomes affordable, it should theoretically match the 70mm of those days.

That would be it, Century in San Jose or Saratoga,  We got so spoiled in those theaters.  SUPERWIDE, 70 MM , the sound was all set up by Lucas Sound people.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

I'm not really a fan at all, but I really liked it.  I didn't really care for last two and had to be drug kicking and screaming to this one,

Maybe it was because I had low expectations? 

Possibly. I just think they ruined quite a few things. Don't want to spoil anything but I was not a fan of it.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 12/20/2017 at 12:30 AM, sunburnwilly said:

It's why you go to the movies , a fun spectacle . 

Awards will probably be in the technical categories .

I saw it tonight based on your reccomendation.  I really LIKED IT!!!,

Overheard some people who were wearing their favorite Starwars shirt who were "conflicted" or unhappy in some way.