Covid Vax, who's got it? and Worried About Side Effects?

kevinmi

18 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I thought that it was in regard to how it interacts with your RNA.

Not going to pretend I'm an expert on vaccine development. My point is that the development builds on a lot of medical development and research, so while it is newer it is based on a  solid understanding of what is going on. I wouldn't say it's a radical departure and it has followed very well established guidelines for development and testing.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, iaRIVR said:

Not going to pretend I'm an expert on vaccine development. My point is that the development builds on a lot of medical development and research, so while it is newer it is based on a  solid understanding of what is going on. I wouldn't say it's a radical departure and it has followed very well established guidelines for development and testing.

I'm not an expert either but according to your link, this is a new type of vaccine.  Copy and pasted:

New Approach to Vaccines

mRNA vaccines are a new type of vaccine to protect against infectious diseases. To trigger an immune response, many vaccines put a weakened or inactivated germ into our bodies. Not mRNA vaccines. Instead, they teach our cells how to make a protein—or even just a piece of a protein—that triggers an immune response inside our bodies. That immune response, which produces antibodies, is what protects us from getting infected if the real virus enters our bodies.

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If it flares up you can treat it with their talcum powder.  No side effects there..................................

Or Vioxx. Or Bextra. Or Lyrica. Or....hell, you get the idea.

Got vaxxed a couple days ago. Very simple and painless procedure. In and out in 20 minutes. It was the Pfizer so they booked my second shot in the same visit.

Only symptoms were fatigue/grogginess. Got 10 hours of sleep that night and still felt like I was sleep walking the next day.

I am so ready to get this stupid pandemic behind us!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iaRIVR said:

Crispr and this technology allows for specific mRNA specific targets. With this Covid vaccine advance, we can expect breakthrough cures in medicine.

8 minutes ago, NADman said:

And we trust all POTUSA's?

Surely most of us could trust at least one of them. 🧐 Otoh, I also trust the science and tests they went through to get it this far...Like I said, we already know what Covid-19 will do unchecked and I want to be part of the plan to open up again. There are different ways to achieve Herd Immunity and getting the vaccine asap makes the most sense to me.  

• Like 1

I did dose 1 of Moderna on Friday. By Saturday afternoon I had a low grade temp of 100 and felt pretty achy all over. Since I usually hurt everywhere all of the time anyways, I thought maybe I had just overdid at the work the day before. By Saturday night I was pretty miserable and was doubling up on the Advil and Tylenol (which I take together). Sunday morning it was mostly gone but I felt really fatigued. So, I fall into that 3% that has a moderate reaction. 

This type of vaccine may be new to the market, but they have been working with it for years, and as they say, never let a good crisis go to waste. I think it's pretty cool. Get your shot.

https://www.modernatx.com/mrna-technology/science-and-fundamentals-mrna-technology

• Like 1

And what's the alternative, we just wait until there's a vaccine everybody feels good about? If you're eligible for the vaccine and don't get it you are basically asking everyone else to get the vaccine so you don't have to. Good chance 90% of the products we touch every day are horrible for us, and they are inventing new chemicals faster than we can figure out which ones are killing us.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NADman said:

And we trust all POTUSA's?

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Surely most of us could trust at least one of them. 🧐 Otoh, I also trust the science and tests they went through to get it this far...Like I said, we already know what Covid-19 will do unchecked and I want to be part of the plan to open up again. There are different ways to achieve Herd Immunity and getting the vaccine asap makes the most sense to me.  

Hows about we play devil’s advocate here. Yes we all saw the Presidents with their sleeves rolled up and having an injection. Now the devils part - none of us has the slightest idea they received the actual vaccine - or sugar water. Nor will we ever - 

Tomorrow the wife and I - second Moderna 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

. 🧐 Like I said, we already know what Covid-19 will do unchecked and I want to be part of the plan to open up again. 

Was listening to a program today comparing states that locked down to the max to states that were relatively open.  Specifically they were comparing California to Florida. The percentages of people infected/died/hospitalized etc were virtually identical.  The major difference between the two states now is that California's unemployment rate is about twice as high as Floridas.  Nobody is talking about this as much as other aspects of the whole covid picture.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richieb said:

Hows about we play devil’s advocate here. Yes we all saw the Presidents with their sleeves rolled up and having an injection. Now the devils part - none of us has the slightest idea they received the actual vaccine - or sugar water. Nor will we ever - 

Tomorrow the wife and I - second Moderna 

I had the exact same thought.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richieb said:

Everyone look up - universes are colliding. Carl and I have the same thought - 

I had so hoped that on this fateful day of you and Carl having the same thought that possibly you could both be correct, but alas.......

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Yes we all saw the Presidents with their sleeves rolled up and having an injection.

Well...We didn't see all of the Presidents but learned that all of them did.

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Now the devils part - none of us has the slightest idea they received the actual vaccine - or sugar water. Nor will we ever - 

Sure but I don't think they can lie about it and I trust the Secret Service and everyone else cares about their wellbeing. The alternative is to believe a farfetched conspiracy theory that seems disingenuous...That's my take. 

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Was listening to a program today comparing states that locked down to the max to states that were relatively open.  Specifically they were comparing California to Florida. The percentages of people infected/died/hospitalized etc were virtually identical. 

I won't comment on those but my business was forced to lock down in Texas for two months and I think we opened up about 2 to 3 weeks too early and before testing was in place when the numbers did go down...Honestly, just like lifting the Mask ordinance which ramifications we will see in less than a month if I'm correct. 

The major difference between the two states now is that California's unemployment rate is about twice as high as Floridas.  Nobody is talking about this as much as other aspects of the whole covid picture.

Again, there are alot of differences in the economies in the two states. Florida has a greater percentage of it's population that is retired (and needs to be catered to)  and California has a WAY diverse economy that is younger and in service or entertainment industries...The bottom line to me is that we all are Americans and we can't have different "lockdown and mask policies for each state," just like we are finding out a Universal vaccine distribution system starting from the top is going to be beneficial--Vaccine available to all American adults by May 1st! It took two administrations 14 months to accomplish that goal! 

34 minutes ago, richieb said:
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I had the exact same thought.

Everyone look up - universes are colliding. Carl and I have the same thought - 

25 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I had so hoped that on this fateful day of you and Carl having the same thought that possibly you could both be correct, but alas.......

At least they seem to be consistent. 

9 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I won't comment on those but my business was forced to lock down in Texas for two months and I think we opened up about 2 to 3 weeks too early and before testing was in place when the numbers did go down...Honestly, just like lifting the Mask ordinance which ramifications we will see in less than a month if I'm correct. 

Again, there are alot of differences in the economies in the two states. Florida has a greater percentage of it's population that is retired (and needs to be catered to)  and California has a WAY diverse economy that is younger and in service or entertainment industries...The bottom line to me is that we all are Americans and we can't have different "lockdown and mask policies for each state," just like we are finding out a Universal vaccine distribution system starting from the top is going to be beneficial--Vaccine available to all American adults by May 1st! It took two administrations 14 months to accomplish that goal! 

But Florida has an older population that is more susceptible to the disease so you'd think that they would be harder hit.

Why do you have to say anything about any administration?  That's why some people think you're trolling for a political discussion. 

9 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Btw, I gave altruistic reasons for why I'm getting the shot on Friday but the real reason is that I've done my research and feel it's the smart thing to do if I don't want to get Covid-19. 

It doesn't prevent you from getting covid.  Thats just more disinformation. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2