Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

• Moderators

The CD's are for decoration fellas...... ;)

LOL. Just having fun with ya.

Youthman, what are you thoughts on the PS3
as a Bluray player? Load times / ease of use? Does it have spdif audio?

When I was doing research, I was originally had no intention of buying a PS3. My plan was to buy a stand alone player. One major deterent for me at that time was the original BR players were super slow load times. After much research and reading a lot of reviews I decided on the PS3. Here is what I have found:

Very fast load times. I never once have thought man this is taking forever. CD's are pretty much immediate load, BR take several seconds but nothing compared to close to 1 minute that the original players suffered from.

Visual quality is excellent. 1080p via HDMI straight to the projector is sweet. HD sound is excellent, also through HDMI. Note: if you plan on using SPIF (fiber optic), you will not be able to take advantage of the new HD audio formats. Best you can get is Dolby Digital and DTS but those are still very good as well.

Other things I like about the PS3:

I love the navigation. Super easy to use, layout is very easy to understand and it looks very cool and even is customizable (downloadable themes)

Game graphics are unreal! Games like Gran Turismo Prologue, Drakes Fortune (especially the new one) and Need for Speed: Shift are incredible to play and experience.

I love the ability to play with other players for free instead of having to pay an annual fee.

Free game downloads are awesome too.

Music server. I import my CD's to the Hard Drive of the PS3, create custom playlists and use it as a music server. No more swapping CD's.

Bluetooth remote is great, especially for gaming. No need to point the remote. Always has a great signal.

I guess the only two negatives about the PS3 is that for those that do not have HDMI on their receiver, the PS3 does not offer multi-channel outputs so that you could take advantage of the HD audio formats. The other negative is that since the PS3 remote is Bluetooth, the Harmony remotes do not support bluetooth by default. You have to either get a Nyko remote (cheap but cannot turn off the PS3) or buy the $60 adapter that Harmony came out with.

To me, the PS3 is the most bang for your buck, especially now since it's $300. It was a great buy at $400, $300 is sweet!

I have a ps3 one of the first ones the 40 gb, not to many complaints other than mine seems nosiey the fan seems to kick on towards the end of most movies. I don't play much game so cant talk about that aspect of things. Do love the blue tooth remote however like youthman said you have to buy a 60 dollar adapt kit. Couple of other things I didn't care about but aren't an issue either the newer higher gig ones.

I have a quick question, has anyone herd anything about being able to stream netflex through the ps3s.

duder

nice looking setup by the way.

Thanks fellas! I'm sure a great deal on a PS3 will come up on the local craigslist after xmas. I was worried about the load times. And most video gamers arernt too patient, so I figured they would be decent! But I don't have support for HDMI throught the Denon, I wonder if I patch the HDMI to the tv, and from the TV's optic out back to the reciever if I would gain multi channel support???

And I have all the driver's to the Cornwalls, but I'm currently servicing the cabs, and hopefully using the CT-125 tweeters...

here is my set up so far

How do they sound in the cabinet? I'm sure you already know they're rear ported, so if you were to pull them out of the cabinet and let the port's breathe, you'd probably be amazed at the difference in sound. But if they sound good to you, that's all that really matters. Nice looking setup[Y] What are you powering all that with?

But I don't have support for HDMI throught the Denon, I wonder if I patch the HDMI to the tv, and from the TV's optic out back to the reciever if I would gain multi channel support???

No, you wouldn't. I don't know of any TV that does multi-channel over its digital output. It wouldn't make sense to do that anyway since optical digital can only pass Dolby Digital and DTS for multi-channel sound. All you'd have to do is run an optical cable from your PS3 to your receiver. You'll get Dolby Digital and DTS but none of the HD audio codecs.

But I don't have support for HDMI throught the Denon, I wonder if I patch the HDMI to the tv, and from the TV's optic out back to the reciever if I would gain multi channel support???

No, you wouldn't. I don't know of any TV that does multi-channel over its digital output. It wouldn't make sense to do that anyway since optical digital can only pass Dolby Digital and DTS for multi-channel sound. All you'd have to do is run an optical cable from your PS3 to your receiver. You'll get Dolby Digital and DTS but none of the HD audio codecs.

Sounds logical. I can surely live with DTS in the mean time....

Ya like I was saying in another post I have a 1 year old running around so it makes difficult to put them down. I am powering the system with a Pioneer Elite and a Emotiva 1000 watt amp. I put the sub "in" the cabinet and inverted the RF7 s so the horn is at the bottom and think it sounds better

Wait, you have your RF-7s upside down?

• dtel pinned this topic