My Top 10 List of Speakers

edwinr

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

ditto on the Large Advent. In the same vein, I would include the Dynaco A25, the Wharfedale W-70 (the orignal alnico 3 way design), The AR3 and the JBL L100.

Were the JBL L100s the ones that were the same as the JBL Professional 4310s? Were they exactly the same internally?

In the '90s, my daughter's music teacher had some small BBC speakers. Ths bass sounded very strong & good. At a recital at his house, he played a CD as people were coming in, I liked it and bought a copy of the same CD .... I was shocked to discover that the BBCs had more subjective bass than my Klipschorns, each in their respective rooms. The BBCs didn't have as much bass extension, but it was punchier. The Klipschorns were clearer and the midrange and treble instruments sounded more "there," though.

Were the JBL L100s the ones that were the same as the JBL Professional 4310s? Were they exactly the same internally?

They are/were almost the same. THere's a pic in here that shows the baffle layout of the 4310, L100, L100A, and 4311.

I still have my 4311s and they still sound good. (others would disagree)

Bruce

• 5 years later...

My 5 Best, as I don't feel it's appropriate to rank speakers sense tastes, rooms are different

Klipschorn/LaScala: This is room dependent. The perfect room demands the Klipschorn, but as you get away from that the LaScala wins

Vandersteen Quatro: Very smooth, warm sound. Vandy makes more expensive models but I can't discern a benefit

Martin Logan: Any Electro Stat in the ESL reserve series which sounds the best to you for the money. Honestly, I can't tell a difference between them so I'd go with the cheapest

JBL: M2 Studio Monitor

Philharmonic Audio: Philharmonic 3; absolutely the best deal on the planet.

The speakers on my current "do not sell" list (in no particular order):

Klipsch La Scala (CazTech SE-845)

Lowther PM2a in Medallion Cabinets (Quicksilver 300B prototypes)

JBL 4430 (CazTech SE-845)

Quad ESL-57 (Marantz 8B or McIntosh MC-30)

Rogers LS3/5a (CazTech SE-845)

Martin-Logan CLS (Audio Research D-160 running triode wired KT-90 outputs)

IMHO, the amp/speaker synergy is critical - hence I listed the amp(s) I prefer with that particular pair of speakers.

Edited by TubeHiFiNut
  • Like 1