Back to SS

jpm

I did. I was tired of chasing rare vintage tubes only to have them be microphinic or quit on me. I also had an AH! tubed CD player that was decked out with all options and rare vintage tubes. Replaced it with a better CD player that beats it in every way.

My current system doesn't give up anything to tubes. I went to an audio shop and heard Dynaudio Saphires being driven by an all tube system (Carey) and my SS equipment doesn't give up anything. Mine actually sounds better but I assume that the one in the shop will perform better if it is the only system in the room.

I have a friend who has all VTL just about convinced to get out of tubes. He spends a lot on keeping them going (300 wpc monoblocks).

If you buy the right equipment you can have tight powerful bass and midrange that blooms with SS.

I did.  I was tired of chasing rare vintage tubes only to have them be microphinic or quit on me.  I also had an AH! tubed CD player that was decked out with all options and rare vintage tubes.  Replaced it with a better CD player that beats it in every way.

My current system doesn't give up anything to tubes.  I went to an audio shop and heard Dynaudio Saphires being driven by an all tube system (Carey) and my SS equipment doesn't give up anything.  Mine actually sounds better but I assume that the one in the shop will perform better if it is the only system in the room.  

I have a friend who has all VTL just about convinced to get out of tubes.  He spends a lot on keeping them going (300 wpc monoblocks). 

If you buy the right equipment you can have tight powerful bass and midrange that blooms with SS. 

Some of my vintage Sansui SS is pretty hard to beat....though I wouldn't mind a Mcintosh MC402!

If you don't mind TigerWK.....what CD player are you running?

I used to own a Yamaha CR-2040. I would rank it as one of the best sounding amplifier (it was actually a receiver)

I have ever owned (and I have owned the following: McIntosh 2505, NOS VRDs, Eico HF-87).

I think there is plenty of great sounding SS gear out there; although thats not the direction I am interested in at the moment, I have my mind SET on something else ;-)

Some of my vintage Sansui SS is pretty hard to beat....though I wouldn't mind a Mcintosh MC402! If you don't mind TigerWK.....what CD player are you running?

Not at all. When I went to that "other" brand of speakers I started hearing noise in my system that I never heard with K Horns. I spoke to Kevin Deal at Upscale and he recommended Musical Fidelity's A308 CR series gear for guys thet like tubes but don't want the associated headaches. First I bought their preamp, then the CD player and finally I replaced my Benchmark DAC1 with a Musical Fidelity A3.24 DAC. I also run a Musical Fidelity CD Pre 24 in my office. Great gear and very reasonably priced in the used market. I have not used their amps, they typically are not powerful enough for my speakers (except for the Kilowatt series), I use Bryston and Classe instead.

My tube friend just loves this preamp too. He borrowed it for about 6 weeks.

The A308CR CD player has so much detail and separation. Not harsh at all either. Really impressive.

It's been reported in some audio magazines that Class D amps (the better ones, at least) have a sound that sort of bridges the gap between regular SS and tubes and is pleasant to listen to. I haven't heard a high-end tube setup, but I'm very happy with my Yamaha MX-D1 amps. They seem to be a great match for the JubScalas, complementing each other nicely.

I've got both, I like them both... I'm not middle of the road... you can use whichever one you like best....

Seriously, SS can be wonderful (mine isn't high end, but it works for me and is satisfying), and I have had very little trouble with my tube gear, and enjoy what my Moondogs bring to the table.

Bruce

I have both and like both. I guess there is pros and cons to both designs, but the ss gets more use as it's cheaper to run for long periods (i.e., I'm not eating up tubes). Some solid state is very good sounding, and sometimes in the most unassuming designs. It's always about synergy and ultimately the sources listened to, but my Pioneer AVR is changing my thoughts on what solid state CAN do. In the end, choose what sounds best to YOU.