Oldbuckster Update?

Tarheel

...the pain and anxiety of failing health.

The pain might be somewhat controllable -- but the anxiety must be terrible. I feel so bad for him. 

Though I do not know the exact status of OB's condition I do know that both pain and anxiety can be managed through hospice care. It is end of life medicine with special medical protocols, drugs and therapies. They even use music therapy (though not of the sort we usually think of). It works not only with the patients but also with the patients family. These situation are exactly what hospice is intended for. Just contact you doctor, your local hospitals social services or they can be found in telephone directories.

I rarely post, but my thoughts and prayers go out to OB, his family and all who have come to appreciate his comments over this forum....Harry, I hope it is a small comfort to the Buckster that his wellbeing is in the thoughts of so many, not just from his home country but also around the world.....when you have such a diverse group pulling for you it shows that OB is a blessed man............

I haven't had a chance to spend much time on the Forum the last 3 or 4 months, and hadn't seen any posts from ob when I would visit. When I searched his name I found this thread. Suffice it to say I am stunned by this sad news. My heart goes out to him and his family, and I will certainly say a prayer for him this evening.

Harry, please keep us updated and let ob know I said hi and wish him well.

Mike

I've had the chance to discuss various topics about anything with OB from time to time. We didn't always agree with each other, but I must say, what an asset he has been, at the very least to me. I'm very saddened to hear the news. In fact, I don't really know what to think or say. I guess all I can do is wish for the best for you Oldbuckster. You will certainly be in my thoughts.

I think most any/everyone who's posted here and perhaps some that have not... feel for Rob. If not because of any pseudo-relationship here on the forum, perhaps out of simple humanity.

I think it's a testamony to the fiber of the folks here, including Rob that we're all willing to share and care.

As much as anyone else, I hope he gets to come back, read these posts and see how much people think about and of, him. Unfortunately, it seems the writing is on the wall, if perhaps, in small font.

Buckette.... if you DO get a chance to come back and read these posts and then move on with the natural progression of your life.... I hope you take two additional thoughts with you (other than the multitude of well wishes expressed here)

I see two possiblities when you meet God...

1. When you get There and find out that God listens to a pair of Jubilees.... please....please....do NOT call Him "Bass-Turd".... ok?

2. If on the other hand, you find out that God actually listens to a pair of Bose 321 accoustimax blasters.... please to NOT come back to this forum and let us know, ok? It will simply ruin our self images...

Sleep well our friend. I doubt that you've left too many regrets behind.

On the Klipsch forum Ole Buckster was instrumental in connecting me with a pair of Lascalas his friend owned in upstate New York. I was hoping he was was going to able to visit me in Mass to see what my Jubilles sounded like, he was planning on making a trip over last Spring... I really looked forward to meeting him in person. I am really I am sorry to hear the bad news thats hit you and my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

I see two possiblities when you meet God...

Richard, thanks for the levity...

We need it. My wife managed to keep a sense of humor, even as she was wasting away from melenoma. It was a way of being in control.

Rob,

We're all praying for you, thinking of you... supporting you in our own special ways. Keep fighting the good fight!

Bruce

...the pain and anxiety of failing health.

The pain might be somewhat controllable -- but the anxiety must be terrible. I feel so bad for him.

Though I do not know the exact status of OB's condition I do know that both pain and anxiety can be managed through hospice care. It is end of life medicine with special medical protocols, drugs and therapies. They even use music therapy (though not of the sort we usually think of). It works not only with the patients but also with the patients family. These situation are exactly what hospice is intended for. Just contact you doctor, your local hospitals social services or they can be found in telephone directories.

oscarear,

I agree, Hospice provides a great service for the client, and the family. Best to contact them earlier rather than later, as they can really help folks through stuff.

• Moderators

I have avoided this thread....until tonight. I wanted to post my feelings and thoughts about Oldbuckster. I pray he is healthy enough to have someone read these posts to him so he will know just how much he touched each of our lives.

Even though I have never met Oldbuckster, he and I became good friends through this forum. He would email me if I didn't post anything for a few days. He always encouraged me to take care of myself and was genuinely concerned about our well being. I believe we should tell those we love how we feel while they are still around. So here goes, Oldbuckster thank you for being my friend. Thank you for listening. Thank you for caring. Thank you for always being there for me and my family. I love you and I am going to miss you. Maybe, just maybe one day I will get to tell you all of this myself, but if not I just want you to know I will never forget you and will always call you, "my friend". "One love, my friend" May you soon be out of pain and with the Great Physician!

Ditto, to Hospice, they are a wonderful respite for families in times like this.

Christy

They even use music therapy (though not of the sort we usually think of).

Yep. OB needs some musical therapy. I think he would prefer his Scott powered Cornwalls kickin' out his favorite tunes. (Probably not the kind of music therapy hospice would think of).

You're still in my thoughts and prayers Rob. I'm praying first that you're miracuously healed by the grace of God or some new miracle drug or therapy but that if you're ride on earth is winding down I'm praying that it goes as well as it can and you can enjoy what time you have left. Inow that you've made a good influence on a lot of people here and I'm sure even better in the real world.

I'm not sure God would listen on any speakers ... as He'd have a choir of angels and one heck of a band available ....

I agree with all of the comments regarding the comfort of hospice care; however, in Harry's last update he said that OB will be having radiation and chemotherapy treatment. So, it sounds like OB and his family are not opting for hospice at this time since such treatment would not be given to a hospice patient.

That said, hospice is a wonderful final gift and the hospice care professionals and volunteers are some of the most amazing people you'll ever meet. I think most people wish they had entrusted their loved ones to hospice earlier but it's a very, very hard decision. I hope Rob and his family find comfort (and maybe a miracle) whatever path they choose.

added: I found this classic Oldbuckster thread jack - funny stuff.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/79881.aspx?PageIndex=1

I think Hospice too is a great thing when things get to that state but, after going through my father-in-laws futile battle with NH Lymphoma years ago the most difficult aspect of Hospice is for the family members to accept that things have reached that state and accept its time to let go. Very difficult thing to do, even when it is obvious and staring you in the face it is very hard to not cling to hope. Again OB rest easy and please know we are all in your corner

I just had a "Monty Python" vision...Old Buckster raising himself up out of that cart and proclaiming, "I feel BETTER! I'm HAPPY!!"

If someone would put on some of that Hospice therapy music, the Old Buckster might just will himself better at least long enough to drag himself to his listening room to put on some music of his choice on his system. He may be down for the count but he ain't out yet.

He's a fightin' it so I'm prayin' for a miracle or the right does of some new wonder drug. Actually I pray for miracles anyway and for comfort if there's no miracles in store. One of my aunt's had stomach cancer I think it was a few years back. Tumor the size of a basketball. The doctor's tried something new and maybe experimental and it shrunk the tumor and then maybe they removed it. I forget exactly, but they considered her cancer free for at least a year or two and then she and my uncle got ran over by a semi traveling to see their daughter, my cousin. Now that may have only been cancer in one part of the body as I'm not aware it had spread and that's when cancer is the scariest or when it comes back in multiple places but hopefully OB's hasn't spread too far.

OB ain't packin' it in yet so hold off on having his Cornwalls made into a casket. I've only exchanged a very few emails with Rob and maybe a few posts back and forth but he's pretty tough and a stand up guy so yeah, hope and pray for his comfort, but hope and pray that he's comfortable and his journey through life as we know it has some good years left. I've heard hospice is a very good thing but let's not forget (and I'm not sure anyone has) that it sounds like he's still fighting so let's also remember to prop him up as much as we can.

Now can somebody get up there and get him in his listening room or move it to him.... maybe load his favorite CDs into a mambo CD changer or music server? I'm sure some music would ease his pain or at least make it more bearable.

Hey guys what do think of sending some flowers, or fruit basket or whatever from the forum? At least it would be something visible for him to know that we are thinking of him. Is there anyone close to him that could do this? I'd like to send a small donation.

I'm thinking on the best way to do this. I'm trying to get hold of them to find out their wishes and preferences on this.

I'm not one to "Just Give Up" and I know Rob won't give up either. He will fight to the end with everything he has.

Don't be surprised if he doesn't get back on here "Raisin' Heck" and being the same OB. Maybe I'm just an optomist but I DO expect it.

I still have faith he can/will be healed. Bad news from the doctors sure, but I haven't given up and I'm still asking for all the goodwill you have in asking for a recovery for him. It won't cost nothing to take a moment and "ask for help" for the 'buckster.

Harry