Would you sell all your speakers to buy a pair of Klipschorns?

wuzzzer

Title says it all. Would you sell your complete speaker arrangement to fund a pair of Klipschorns?

Looking at my setup below and considering that I have a narrow and long basement room that would absolutely require false corners, would you do it?

Reason I'm asking is there's a pair of 80s Klipschorns nearby that are being sold for about what all my speakers including subs are worth. I definitely watch a lot more movies than I listen to music. I've never heard Klipschorns in person before.

I've never heard Klipschorns either, but have dreamed about owning them. And I'm not sure about selling my complete speaker arrangement, since I have several of them for different purposes. My speakers are almost exclusively old Infinities, except for my PA and the monitors with my PC. Old RS5s (from the 1980s) are what I've got now. No sub. Crown CL1 amp and a Harman/Kardon HK-3380 stereo receiver. Definitely a unique combination, but it works well. Not sure how much it's all worth though. I've seen RS5s in worse shape than mine, and without good foam like mine have got go for around 300 a pair, more in good shape with good foam. I do love my Infinites though. They sound awesome and aren't enormous (my room is 12x12x8, so I wouldn't really have room for Khorns anyways, but if I did, that's hard to call) so I really don't know. Maybe for my SM-150s instead...yeah, that's it...

If you enjoy the thrill of movies on your 5.1 channel matched setup, there's no way I'd sell it.

However, for nice Klipschorns that are an easy drive, I'd rape and pillage my accounts to come up with the fundage. [;)]

I've know what I'm talking about, I've done it before countless times.

This post makes me feel guilty. My Khorns are in the gallery and almost never get listened to. I bet I've spent more time moving them and oiling them than playing tunes. That's wrong, isn't it?

Michael

Title says it all. Would you sell your complete speaker arrangement to fund a pair of Klipschorns?

Looking at my setup below and considering that I have a narrow and long basement room that would absolutely require false corners, would you do it?

Reason I'm asking is there's a pair of 80s Klipschorns nearby that are being sold for about what all my speakers including subs are worth. I definitely watch a lot more movies than I listen to music. I've never heard Klipschorns in person before.

Wuzzer,

I have been arround long enough for you to get to know me. I really loved my Quartets, but had always wanted K-horns. I bought 1998 Oiled Oak K-horns and sold my Oiled Oak Quartets to my sister. Next I bought my TSCMs, and now I would sell my K-Horns to buy more TSCMs. It is a condition that I seem to be afflicted with, having said all of that, the K-Horns play louder, but I still miss my Quartets. I say that with the system you have now, you have nothing to be envious of. I vote to keep what you have and start a fund for some K-Horns. Some day, the K-Horns will come your way, but don't do anything you might regret later. You can always change your system out later, when you get some, or start a seperate system. Another thing to considder is that if you have a really large room, K-Horns sound awsome, but if you cram them in a medium to small room, they are just loud, and you are missing alot. I helped build my brother in laws K-Horn theatre room, and it is 24' by 32' and I want mine about the same size with a higher ceiling. If you want to travel to Ohio, I would gladly show you the differance with a K-Horn system in a friends small room vs: a large room at my B-in-laws room. Again, my vote is to keep what you have for now. I am sure there are many here that would enjoy to have someone over that can truely appreciate their Klipsch!!! I feel that this is about the tamest, most heart felt post I may have ever written here.....

Roger

from my past speaker sales you will never get the money for your speakers that you think you will or what you think they are worth except k-horns or belles. these are the 2 speakers that i made money on.

to answer your question NO i would not sell them but i would save up at least 2 grand and wait to get a pair of k-horns or belles. i love my k-horns-belles-lascalas-cornwalls and heresys.

In a word, NO

I don't have good corners and I love my Cornwalls and yes I have heard a few different pairs of Khorns.

If I had the corners AND we were only talking about selling the Cornwalls and perhaps a pair or two of Heresys then yes.

I like my 7.1 Klipsch HT and the sound from it would be hard to beat. The Cornwalls are in my 2 ch only room so the Khorns would be an upgrade there.

Thanks guys. The general consensus of keeping what I have now is kind of what I was hoping I'd hear you suggest. [:)]

I know I'd miss at least the deep bass of my SVS and I do enjoy 5.1 surround much better than my previous 2 channel setups.

These are the ones I was looking at in case anyone else locally was looking for a pair:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ele/967524376.html

Wuzzer,

I've heard a couple different pairs of K Horns, but never in my living room. Currently, I run a pair of La Scalas with a pair of Klipsch THX subs and the sound is similar to what I remember from the K Horns. But, I've never heard the two setups side by side, so I can't say for sure which system I prefer. But with the not so great corners in my living room, there's little doubt that I probably have the better of the two options in the existing room I'm dealing with. As people have said before, without proper corners, K Horns aren't able to shine.

My point is that you may be able to get a very K Horn-like sound with a pair of La Scalas or Belles with a sub. About once a year, I seem to run into a pair of decent La Scalas in the Milwaukee area in the $500-$700 range. That option may allow you to keep your existing system intact, while adding that signature heritage sound.

Jeff

• Moderators

No.......bigger fish to fry anyway, much bigger. Wouldn't give up the forte Ht anyway, or the Cornwall lll's, but there will be one more pair in the living room then there will not be any room left for any more ! [;)]