Watches Anyone?

rplace

So we have a lot of people with different tastes, surely there must be one of two of you who like good audio AND watches. I have always wanted a nice watch and currently in the hunt. Been a long time TAG fan, but recently the luster has faded IMO. I am really digging Breitling. Anyone have one...or two or.... It seems to be a sickness much like speakers. I see all sorts of online people with "problems" just like us only they are a lot smaller and you can take them with you on your wrist.

So what you got and what do you like? I am currently leaning toward a Breitling SuperOcean SteelFish. That surely is a mouthfull.[H]

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you as it’s the only thing I wear in terms of jewelry. My grandfathers both wore a "nice" watch but neither was left to me upon their death. I always liked the idea of wearing a nice mechanical watch over a watch case made from gold (or worse gold plate) or a watch face featuring diamonds. After my then first fiancé ignored my hints to get me a watch, I purchase an Omega Sea Master for myself. It has a real nice ETA movement that is chronometer cert and well respected in terms of watch makers. I do not have huge wrists so I got the midsize style. I am still wearing it some 12 years later married to a different women (love of my life),it keeps great time with minimal maintenance.

JB--i pictured you as a man that would throw a grandfather clock on his back and carry that around with you.

I would have suggested he keep it somewhere else.... [:o] [:|]

I've been happy with my auto/chrono Tag 6000. Wife once bought me a Rolex (she worked at dealer and bought it at employee price) I had her return it. Rolex just never did it for me...I'm happy with my Tag.

Get this....the company she worked for went under. The liquidators came in to take inventory. This gal went through all the old (I mean old) Rolex boxes, as well as other items and pitched them. One of them was an old Breitling box. Gal tossed them all in the trash. My wife grabbed the bag and brought it home knowing when the store reopened (which was the game plan) they'd have a use for the empty Rolex boxes.

I had them on the kitchen table and said to her, "I'm sure someone checked every one of these boxes to make sure there is nothing in them??"

The look of "of course she did you idiot..... don't be such a moron" came across her as she confirmed the lady did indeed check all the boxes.

Rather ironic, but right at this very instant, I was opening the Breitling box....and don't you know....there it was staring at me. $5,500 watch in my hands. Store closed (as in shut down out of business) All the employees gone.

She freaked out "knowing" that she was going to get accused of stealing it. I of course, was thinking Ebay....

She called her old district manager and we shipped it off to him. Her concsious is clear and I'm sure he or his son is now enjoying a new Breitling

[:(]

Oh, and to add insult to injury.... I'd given her my watch for them to fix. Her COST was about $700. It came back not fixed (I don't think they actually sent it out to Tag/Pro-time) I told her she'd better have them FIX it, or get a refund. She said she'd have it done for no charge when the store reopened however, the store ended up dying on the vine so it never reopened. We then found the Breitling. I said she should sell it and simply offset the screw job the liquidators did to her (me) on the Tag.

Of course, you know that didn't happen. I had to send it off again, this time to Pro-time and I did it myself. Paid for it all over again.

After busting watches at a prodigious rate (good ones too!), and being in the military with the "PX" system...... I saved up my ducats and bought a Rolex GMT. Big fat nuclear weapon proof case, stainless everything, etc. That was in 1980. Price in the PX was only about $700... I have run over it with a tank, dropped it about a million times, "scuba'd" it a bunch of times and generally wore it in various war zones (except when behind enema lines..), and about every 5-6 years, had it serviced, cleaned, etc. by an authorized service center (RolexUSA in NY via registered mail). I can say that it is just about bullet proof, looks great, glows in the dark, and keeps very accurate time. Maybe unscrew the stem about once a very few months and adjust it about 1 minute, maybe.

They are expensive now, but I calculated that my total cost, plus the cleaning (which always includes a new crystal and bezel ring) is maybe about $1600. I spread that out over 30 years and it's about $50 a year. Given that every other watch I've owned with any degree of durability costs about $200, and they usually last about 2 years, I would say I've pretty much broken even.

You may want to contact Rolex and ask about a "previously owned" GMT or the Submariner, as alot of folks trade them in for the fancy versions. Probably expensive, but... it will likely last forever.

Just a thought.

[H]

great to hear from you and this has been the experience of many military guys I have seen over the years wearing the Rolex GMT Master/Submariner type watch...bought at PX...relatively inexpensive and bullet proof...glad to hear you re feeling better...!

Bill

My wife had a Rolex for maybe 8 years. It was a beautiful watch but we never could get it to keep good time. She also had loose stem issues (maybe from all the adjusting!) She finally got tired of messing with it and got a TAG. She's been happy ever since. I wear a TAG (on occasion) and am very happy with it. It does what it is supposed to do, and it looks decent (to me).

JB agree on the jewelry thing, all I have is a very plain, small weding ring. I am familiar with the Omega...nice watch. Agree also on the diamonds/gold thing. The thing I am digging about this Breitling is that it looks great with the steel bracelet, but throw on a rubber strap or leather band and it is a totally different watch. I am thinking it can be very multipurpose.

Groom, glad to see you up and about hope all is well. I have been away for a while and just yesterday saw the post about you being ill. Hopefully you are good for several more years. Great story on the Rolex. I have always like the submariner. No PX in site for me and my money tree in the back yard has not taken root. Maybe some day. Sounds like you have an heriloom on your wrist just in stories.

I still do have a soft spot for TAGs and for probably 15 years now whish I pulled the trigger on a good deal while on a long weekend in Chicago. One of my few regrets on a non-purchase.

Here is what I am currently leanting toward. What you all think?

SuperoceanSteelfish2000m.jpg

^^^ That should be a nice watch - looks sorta like a Rolex Submariner

I think the ultimate watch is the Daytona but it just feels big and clunky and is way expensive now. It's still on my list of "perfect things."

Posted Image

Since I'm not an astronaut, race car driver, or scuba diver, I just need a watch that tells time. I've had just the basic Rolex Oyster Chronometer for over 25 years. It doesn't even have a date feature, but it's just the right size, comfortable, simple, tough, and understated - it's been perfect for me. Here's a link to an ebay sale for one but they're asking way too much, one of these or an Air King could be had much cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-Automatic-Watch-Papers-/140500732205?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20b67f092d

pic from ebay...

Posted Image

After busting watches at a prodigious rate ...<snip> ..... I have run over it with a tank, dropped it about a million times, "scuba'd" it a bunch of times and generally wore it in various war zones (except when behind enema lines <snip>

Cool

Memo to self: Never lend a watch to Marshall.

I used to have a watch hangup a few years ago. I have a Breitling, Tissot and a Raymond Weil. Each has a little part of history behind them when they were purchased, but I very rarely wear them anymore. Bought the wife an Omega a few years ago and it and my Raymond have been the most durable out of all we own, but obviously she is not as hard on a watch as I am. The Breitling had to go back to the company from moisture intrusion. The Tissot had the auto winding mechanism go out. In the past few months the wifes Omega's second hand has fallen off the post, but its prob 10-12 years old. The Raymond has just needed batteries. Now Im too nervous to wear any of them everyday and just put one on If I have to wear a monkey suit somewhere. I dang near bought a waterproof Citizen while on vacation to beat around in, but the wifes new camera took care of that.

Check out the new line up of Oris. I know Oris is not a hey look at me brand that the average Joe can identify with, but their new line is very cool and sadly not cheap.

JB agree on the jewelry thing, all I have is a very plain, small weding ring. I am familiar with the Omega...nice watch. Agree also on the diamonds/gold thing. The thing I am digging about this Breitling is that it looks great with the steel bracelet, but throw on a rubber strap or leather band and it is a totally different watch. I am thinking it can be very multipurpose.

Groom, glad to see you up and about hope all is well. I have been away for a while and just yesterday saw the post about you being ill. Hopefully you are good for several more years. Great story on the Rolex. I have always like the submariner. No PX in site for me and my money tree in the back yard has not taken root. Maybe some day. Sounds like you have an heriloom on your wrist just in stories.

I still do have a soft spot for TAGs and for probably 15 years now whish I pulled the trigger on a good deal while on a long weekend in Chicago. One of my few regrets on a non-purchase.

SuperoceanSteelfish2000m.jpg

good looking watch

• Moderators

The good part is it's solar powered, the bad part is it's solar powered to the point it only works in the day.

I have ruined every watch I have ever had except the one I don't wear, it keeps good time in the closet.

post-11804-13819635433656_thumb.jpg

My good friend from college had a Breitling, honestly you need a big wrist or a big body. For some reason it works with people who are at least 6 feet tall or weight over 200. It was a massive beast, I think it weighs .4 pounds. Also its body is shiny so don't expect it not to scratch (the body not the crystal)

EvolutionQ00007.jpg

My brother owns a Omega Seamaster and IWC Portuguese. I think the Portuguese is broken and repair is a bit costly now so he is wearing the seamaster. But the IWC is a nice looking watch and pretty much scratch resistant as the whole thing is sapphire crystal.

51oEd5ucJgL._SL500_.jpg

0512-iwcportuguesechrono.jpg

I have an hour visions, its a nice show watch but a poor everyday watch. I've had problems with it originally losing time (losing a minute a day but now its + - 1 second a day. But under the jeweler's care plan I had the option to have polished. I did and they removed the watermark...... They had to replace that watch. Also have a seamaster and that one was a tank til the internal spring broke kept it from winding properly, being currently repaired. Both are supposed to be the superior coaxial movement.

hourvision1.jpg

0002hour04wn7.jpg&t=1

DSC02387_001.jpg

omega-mens-casual-watches-41mEKn8MRTL.jp

When I graduated from highschool in 1970 I asked for only cash gifts. Then I went out and bought an Accutron like this one except that it had a metal band. It must have been the lowest priced one.

It was to me a beautiful watch. Accuracy was beyond anything else in the day. It made an intriguing hum.

In 1977 I was bicycling on Lake Shore Drive -- it had a sidewalk back then with curb cuts -- and had a bad fall. Eventually I got back to the IIT dorms and discovered the watch was missing. I went back to the scene and didn't find it.

In about 1991 I was buying an airline ticket at Midway Airport. The young man behind the counter was wearing an Accutron Astronaut. It seemed a bit incongruous. He explained that his uncle wore it though Viet Nam and gave it to him. There must have been a very interesting story attached to that Astronaut.

Watches are passed along on male lines at least in the old days. It is a shame that they are not recorded better..

WMcD

post-2552-1381963543711_thumb.jpg

In about 1991 I was buying an airline ticket at Midway Airport. The young man behind the counter was wearing an Accutron Astronaut. It seemed a bit incongruous. He explained that his uncle wore it though Viet Nam and gave it to him. There must have been a very interesting story attached to that Astronaut.

Watches are passed along on male lines at least in the old days. It is a shame that they are not recorded better..

That reminded me of Christopher Walken's watch scene, where he talks about what he had to do to keep his watch while in a Vietnamese POW camp:

http://www.hark.com/clips/qmrnfybsfq-gold-watch-speech

Not that anyone is concerned about my opinion... this will only go to show how retentive I can be on something. One thing I don't like about the Breitlings is their bands appear to have a slant to them. The links look slightly out of balance to me.

Kind of bugs me that I notice that because I'd like to have one and that has been enough to make me pause.

Ok, I admit I'm retentive and shallow.