LoneLobo Motorcycle Wreck

Mallette

Ron Huebner, "Lonelobo" here and starter of the "Sweet Thrift Store Finds" evergreen thread, is in Denton Regional Hospital after a motorcycle accident yesterday. His spleen was removed this AM due to internal bleeding. Both legs are broken and one will require surgical repair, his lungs were bruised and ribs broken. He remains intibated, but last report was that he might be extabated shortly. Things are looking up, but he has quite a long haul ahead.

His doctors say that it might have been fatal except for his exceptional general condition and especially his cardio-vascular condition from his rather fanatical bicycle riding habit.

He'll probably kick my butt for posting this, but I look forward to his legs healing up enough for him to try. I know several here have meet him and it's easier to let everyone know this way that any other.

As another of "our own," thoughts and prayers his way are requested.

Dave

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I were just talking about motorcycles yesterday. She often asks if I miss the bikes I've had over the years. The topic came up after I totaled my daughters car on the way home Monday night. I was doing 60 (posted speed limit) through an intersection that I had the green light on. Someone's foot slipped off the brake and another driver bolted into my lane trying to avoid the lady that ran the red light. I t-boned the vehicle that blocked my lane. I only missed about an hour of work the next day waiting on a ride. I'm sore but not hospitalized. If I were on my bike, I'd have gone over, under or through the other car. None of the options would have been good.

Prayers sent.

You couldn't get me to ride a motorcycle on a bet.....especially with the invention of the hand held cellular phone. I drive quite a bit at my job and that is enough to keep me off of a bike. Being missed by inches by drivers blowing stop signs while on phones is absolutely enough to assure I will never ride one on a public street. I like to live free too, but I want to LIVE.

I do understand the allure, though - and I wish LoneLobo all the best in recovery. May he ride again if he wants to.

Latest is that he is being kept heavily sedated through the weekend and will not be extitbated until Monday due to short staffing during the weekend for a "what if." . Prognosis remains good. Perhaps he can report for himself by mid week or so, God willing.

Dave

• Moderators

That's a good thing considering bruised lungs and broken ribs, he will have some rest which is what he needs right now after that beating.

Your a good friend Dave, he needs that also right now. [Y]

Your a good friend Dave, he needs that also right now.

As you mentioned about the few hours you spent around him, Ron is very easy to warm up to. I've had 35 years to do so and he is my brother in all but DNA. It's hard not to be there and without the superb support he is getting from other good friends there, his family, and his church and the continuing good prognosis I'd be there regardless. As it is, the PAW just left for a week's NASA conference in New Orleans and I have my son to take care of.

Our old group, known as the Phogg Phoundation, will have boots on the ground there today and that will be comforting to him and the rest of us as well.

While I keep it to myself except at times like this, I do not believe it possible to ride a motorcycle in a large urban envioronment safely regardless of one's skill or bravado. I worry about him everytime he comes here on it until he gets here or I hear from him back to his house. We almost lost him 30 years ago a head on riding his old Harley without a helmet. Maybe that one was an object lesson as he's been religious about the helmet and good leathers ever since.

Perhaps this one will retire him from motorcycles entirely. However, he is hard headed with or without a helmet so we shall have to see if he insists on getting back on that horse.

Dave

All the good thoughts I can muster up coming your way LoneLobo.

I motored around on 2 wheels of one form or another almost continously for nearly 40 years. Some health issues related to balance finally forced me to sell my last bike (a black 95 FXDWG) a few years ago.

More than once the seat and my butt parted ways in an unplanned way. Usually at the hands of some 4-wheeler not paying attention. I was very fortunate to not have been hurt badly. Each time though the same thought ran through my brain. In that moment that I realized that I was going down the thought was "is this the one?"

I too was religious about wearing the proper gear at all times. That was sometimes tough to do in the Florida heat. I'm certain wearing a good (and well fitting) helmet and being clad in leather saved my bacon.

I would LOVE to get back on 2 wheels some day but I don't see it happening time soon. Actually it would have to be a 3 wheeler at this point and they're beyond my means at this time.

Good luck and wishes for speedy healing.

Few details on the accident as written by Ron (Intubated) on a tablet and reported by a mutual friend:

"Apparently a vehicle pulled in front of him... in order to avoid a collision he laid the bike down which was the right thing to do. And yes, he was ...wearing a helmet! He has an impressive skid mark on left shoulder and arm which is clean and healing well. They had to order a special bed due to his height, but they will be placing him in a different one to help keep him turned to avoid decubitus."

I am not surprised. He's an experienced rider and apparently made a wise decision that sliding down the highway was a better plan than a very sudden stop from high speed against a car.

377 is a dangerous two lane road replaced by I35W as the north/south highway many years ago. I've spent a lot of time on it, and over the years it's developed a lot of feeders to urban sprawl areas and housing developments.

Dave

That he remembers what happened is a sure sign the helmet did it's job. The best decision is not always the easy one, praying for a fast and full recovery.

And Dave, from what I know of you, he's very lucky to have a friend like you!

"Apparently a vehicle pulled in front of him... in order to avoid a collision he laid the bike down which was the right thing to do.

He's lucky to still have his legs.

Friend of the family lost one of his by doing the same thing...at 35 mph the 700 lb bike ground down his pinned leg to mash and fractured his femur bone which lanced the femoral artery. The hemorrhaging went septic and required amputation.

For the sake of safer riding, never consider laying a bike down an option.

http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/bike-down.php

Our recently hired network admin was headed to a benefit at a local fire dept., when someone in a van headed the same direction decided to turn right from the left lane. He lay his bike down instead of slamming into the side of the van. He really had no other option. His wife was on the back. They are both sore, but he was at work the next day.