Monsanto Protection Act

tube fanatic

This was sent to me by a very concerned friend who is a biologist/scientist/researcher:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2013/apr/04/monsanto-protection-act-gm

There is something fundamentally wrong when decisions about what we eat are in the hands of corporations/politicians whose sole interest is $$$. The long term effects of ingesting GMOs are unknown, particularly when ingested in combination with the thousands of chemicals we breathe and ingest on a daily basis, as well as the numerous prescription drugs which so many people use daily. Monsanto's blocking of food label disclosure about GMO ingredients should be enough to raise some eyebrows, but unfortunately is not. Obama promised to require labelling of GMO foods back in '07 (

), so what happened???

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually reading about GMO's last night. Monsanto actually won a court case in the past that provides that products that are not GMO cannot be labeled as such. Let me say this again. If you grow a crop that is not genetically modified, you cannot label it as "GMO Free" or "Non-GMO" or similar labeling. This means that Monsanto is so powerful that they were able to have a ruling where stating the truth is illegal.

I'm sure that we can all trust Monsanto, the creator or agent orange, to look out for all of our well being. They are looking out for all of us as well as Wall Street. Google their practices, this is the same company that, when their product is planted on a field and contaminates an adjacent farmer's field, sues the farmer for patent infringement. They are also not modifying the food for our good, it is profit driven to our detriment. Their research, subsidized by our tax dollars, was used to create plants that create sterile seeds, so that the farmer needs to but new seeds from Monsanto every year (in addition to usign thei weed killer).

Here is a nice little exerpt about GMOs:

This is what they found: NK603 is a type of corn that has been genetically modified to be tolerant of a commonly used herbicide, which would eliminate surrounding weeds, but it would also be present in small quantities in the foods we eat. The scientists fed rats NK603 that contained levels of the herbicide. They found the rats eventually developed massive tumors after seven months and died earlier than animals fed a “regular” diet.

I try to be healthy and really do not want to be a lab rat. I do not get involved in these matters, but this is just disgusting. If you do not agree with this, here is a petition that I found this morning:

http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/obama_signs_monsanto_protection_act_time_to_label_gmos/

Tube Fanatic, there is a place you would love if you like discussing things like this, ask/email Amy.

Actually, I find discussing things like this to be too distressing. But, given that the mainstream news media never mentions these issues I think it important to put them out there in my small way. If each person who is made aware of this stuff mentions it to another and so on, maybe enough folks will eventually become enraged to somehow make a positive change. And Tigerwood, I wasn't aware of the gag order on non-gmo foods but it comes as no surprise. When rBGH was first approved for use in cows years ago dairies which didn't use it were forbidden to state so on their packaging.

If you guys think I'm overdoing the posting of issues like this, please say so and I'll cut back. Unfortunately, my medically and scientifically oriented buddies pass these issues around constantly, and a day doesn't go by that I don't find this kind of info in my inbox. Wish I had the answers! Maynard

• Moderators

Monsanto has got to dtel!

I'm out of preservatives, I need it bad man, even herbicides will do, anything please. [:S]

No I don't care what is put here really, just thought if he likes plenty more of that kind of thing PLUS opinions from every angle he may like it down in the dungeon. [6]

And yes I am willing to take bribes from companies like Monsanto, or any pharmaceutical co and of course energy companies. Why should politicians have all the fun ? [{]

Congress long ago absolved themselves from being prosecuted for insider trading. The foxes have been overseeing the henhouse for quite awhile. Right now the US Army does not want any additional funding for the M1-A1 Abrams tank. But the Army is getting $1/2 billion funding for the tank anyway cuz certain members of Congress insist.

If this type of food is bad for you,,Why have i outlived longer than my parents ??

Why did George Burns live so long if smoking was bad for you? Who can say?

The stuff might be bad for you. Maybe not. But what seems especially ballsy is lobbying rules that prohibit competitors from saying, "Our ingredients do not include X." You know we are a doomed public when big players can buy that kind of power.

You can allways take back that power,,,Canada did that to Monsanto,,

Canada also invented canola. It's supposed to be good for you. I'll stick with olives. There have been lots of documentaries about the Monsanto ambition to control the world's food supply. It is amazing what an army of lawyers can accomplish.

This really is so freaking depressing and I place the blame on politicians, although it seems to be more one side than the other. It's the same thing with guns - I mean come on - who wants low grade morons and terrorists buying guns without checking first. Simple really.

This really is so freaking depressing and I place the blame on politicians, although it seems to be more one side than the other. It's the same thing with guns - I mean come on - who wants low grade morons and terrorists buying guns without checking first. Simple really.

You just had to use the "g" word didn't you.

In before the lock.