Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 minute ago, babadono said:

Went to the Custer's Last Stand/Battle of Little Bighorn National Monument yesterday. Cool history. Off to Mt. Rushmore today. I hope somebody I know wins the Powerball, just the scraps from their table would probably do me:)

I visited there several years ago.  It does give off a sense of history just being there.  I liked it way better than Rushmore.  Try to check out the progress on Crazy Horse if you can.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I visited there several years ago.  It does give off a sense of history just being there.  I liked it way better than Rushmore.  Try to check out the progress on Crazy Horse if you can.

Crazy Horse? Cool...

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Don't worry about me homies.....with 8 tickets I'm practically a shoe in:P

If you do win you will have new LF's lined up around the block, but for the wrong reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

And the masses pay their idiot tax again. 

I understand your thinking Carl, but I still bought two tickets (one easy pick and one more) each of the last two drawings.  I figure it this way:

• Someone will win;
  • My odds are as good as anyone's;
  • Each of us beat similar odds, ~3,000,000:1, just to be conceived;
  • At $4 for two chances, it's a cheaper vice than cigarettes; and
  • Some of the money goes to education.

All that said, it is a tax on the poor and gullible.  For every person, such as Chuck and yours truly, who can afford cheap entertainment, there are way too many who risk money they can't afford to lose.  It's ironic that PSAs warn about problem gambling, while Michigan allows lottery ticket purchases online by credit card.

FWIW, one ticket on the draw before was a $4 winner, so yesterday was house money.  Or, I could spend $7 on a pack of cancer sticks.  That is a true idiot tax.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DizRotus said:
  • Someone will win;
  • I didn't think that was a given
  • My odds are as good as anyone's;
  • True
  • If I would have known conception was that hard I would have never used protection.
  • At $4 for two chances, it's a cheaper vice than cigarettes; and
  • You could also have had a happy meal.
  • Some of the money goes to education.
  • You would have had a better return on your investment buying brownies at a PTA bake sale

I remember reading an article one time written by an expert in odds.  He said that you could put your name in a Dixie cup and randomly mixed your cup among every cup that it would take to line the streets on all sides of the Empire state building and then go to the top of the building, blindfold your self, spin around and throw a penny off the building.  You had better odds of getting your penny in the cup with your name on it than winning the power ball.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:
  • If I would have known conception was that hard I would have never used protection.

Carl, I assume you're kidding.  The odds aren't as to conception in general, they're the odds that the specific gamete with your name on it would win that lottery to fertilize the ovum.

As to someone winning, it is a given, eventually, but not at each drawing.

I remember a time when a numbskull bought two tickets with the same set of "lucky numbers."  That is truly a fool's bet, as your odds of winning are not improved.  It would be hard to convince him of that, as his "lucky numbers" were winners.  Another person also had a winning ticket.  So, instead of splitting the jackpot 50/50, numbnuts got 2/3 for buying two tickets with the same numbers.

• Like 1

Just my luck, I plan a get together for weeks, only to have a massive storm decide to descend on us the very same day. What are the odds? Oh well, meet is still on. I expect the storm will affect the numbers but for those who show, we will have some fun. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Wardsweb said:

Just my luck, I plan a get together for weeks, only to have a massive storm decide to descend on us the very same day. What are the odds? Oh well, meet is still on. I expect the storm will affect the numbers but for those who show, we will have some fun. 

I have two raincoats....I only need one.  Let me know:mellow:

• Like 2