Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

12 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

that sucks ... that was the only way that you could make money when on temp duty.  Loved it when i’d have to go to San Francisco and I’d get paid M&IE, then eat all my meals at my aunt’s house.  Back then we only had to provide lodging receipts.

You remind me of my father.  I loved the man but he was cheap.  When paid a housing per diem by employers as part of transfers, he would stay at dives and pocket the difference, while locating more permanent housing.

For example, when relocating from Muskegon to Kalamazoo, he stayed at the Kazoo YMCA.  In order to start football practice at my new HS, I briefly shared a room with him at the Y.  It was quite an experience for a 17 year-old.  You haven’t lived until you’ve shared a communal bath with The Village People.

Years later, in a transfer from Chicago to Bloomfield Hills, MI, he stayed at the Kingswood Motel on Woodward Ave. in Royal Oak, MI.  It has since been torn down, which was a huge disappointment to the hookers who rented it by the hour. Fortunately, I never had the opportunity to share those accommodations.

Note the sign for “Harmony House Classical” at the left in the photo. In those days, Harmony House was the big record store chain in metro Detroit.  At its height, it operated 38 stores.  The photo shows a store devoted solely to classical music.  It sat directly across a parking lot from a regular Harmony House Store. 

That was a handy arrangement for this guy.  He could buy music right next door to where he taught private lessons.  Who would ever guess such a good looking guy would have to force himself upon young people?

273002B7-69D8-43BA-A886-D2671C8DD54F.jpeg

BE974CCE-D3FB-4D78-8A5D-E23A9A2F44E1.jpeg

28714E7C-152A-42AC-8CE4-15F4968F9222.jpeg

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

That YMCA looks a lot like the one I remember from church league basketball here in Wilmington, NC.  There was a large swimming pool in the basement.  No bathing suits allowed for some reason. 

How do you think the "Y” got its well deserved reputation?  Cliches often contain a kernel of truth.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

That YMCA looks a lot like the one I remember from church league basketball here in Wilmington, NC.  There was a large swimming pool in the basement.  No bathing suits allowed for some reason. 

When I was little we'd go to the Y and play air hockey and hang out. One day I brought a swim suit and decided to try their pool.  Not!  I later realized why the Village People thought it was fun to stay at the YMCA.  After I was in high school I'd go there to play volley ball but waited to shower till after I got home.  The whole thing was pretty creepy for a little kid.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

When I was little we'd go to the Y and play air hockey and hang out. One day I brought a swim suit and decided to try their pool.  Not!  I later realized why the Village People thought it was fun to stay at the YMCA.  After I was in high school I'd go there to play volley ball but waited to shower till after I got home.  The whole thing was pretty creepy for a little kid.

--- the Y narrative from you and Diz IS creepy - even for an adult --?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, richieb said:

--- the Y narrative from you and Diz IS creepy - even for an adult --?!

It was creepy.  I grew up in a very small town.  Naturally it was WAY before the Internet.  There we lots of thinges I had never seen or even thought of before. I believe I was in 6th or 7th grade st the time. The first time I went to take a swim during the "male only" time I knew that there was something going on that I wasn't really comfortable with.  They had a general public time where anybody could swim and that's when I went.  There were a lot of great things I loved about the Y though.  I played volley ball there for several years.  Our coach played on the US Olympic volley ball team.  He was an incredible player.  If we got full of ourselves he'd invite his team mate to practice and the 2 of them would destroy the 6 of us.  We were all Jr's and Srs in high school at the time.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

not cheap ... actually, the food was better at my aunt’s house; plus she would spoil me with all kinds of Portuguese foods that i couldn’t get elsewhere. 

You were being sensible, not cheap.  My father, on the other hand, was cheap.  I certainly hope he wasn't being spoiled by the women at the Kingswood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

that Y in Kalamazoo looks very similar to the one in Elkhart.  why is Kalamzoo OK with spellcheck and Elkhart not

being a little slow, when moving at all ...

the cast member of DocMartin that would be closest to me, would be the dog.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, with a good fresh cup of $5 latye from Starbucks wife and I woke up late and took Lily to the beach for the first time. 

Visions of her running with the tide like some dancing unicorn came to mind. 

This is what really happened. She hugged my legs the whole time. :D

No amount of encouragement would get her to leave more than three feet. Haha. 

Oh , yeah the beach is our favorite "Cliff House restaurant beach" in San Francisco. 

We just got home. Good night all. 

IMG_20180331_230036.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1