Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
On 8/14/2016 at 6:28 PM, oldtimer said:

The rest of the story....It was a fed ex truck that took a wrong turn into the neighborhood.  It snagged a power line and kept going until it dragged down a neighborhood's worth of poles and power lines, causing blown transformers and shattered poles and power outages on one of the hottest days of the year.  There is a police report of the incident, and now I have to deal with fed ex to get reimbursed for all of the repairs.  On the bright side I did get the roof repaired before it rained.  Our municipal utility did a stellar job getting everything back up, and right now I am out lots of hundreds of dollars until there is justice from fed ex.

You should turn into your homeownerso carrier, let them pay you for your repairs,  let them go after FedEx and your deductible, if any.  Your carrier has a giant department that does nothing but that, it's called subrogation.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

China travel suggestions?

At the end of October I'm going to China, Guangdong Province, on business.  I'm looking for suggestions regarding the best way to learn to say, please, thank you, hello, goodbye and where is the bathroom.  Any software or programs to recommend?  Also, any suggestions regarding food to sample or avoid are welcomed.  The itinerary is set, so sight seeing suggestions are unnecessary.

I would post this as topic in Lounge section as many people here have been to China, and more importantly, Hong Kong.  You will be in Southern China where they mostly speak Cantonese,  which also the language in Hong Kong.  Dave Mallett lived in Hong Kong I believe.  The vast majority of people speak Mandarin, except in the south where you will be.  

Be sure you specify you want those terms for Cantonese or they will be useless.  People who speak one cannot understand the other.

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

At the end of October I'm going to China, Guangdong Province, on business.  I'm looking for suggestions regarding the best way to learn to say, please, thank you, hello, goodbye and where is the bathroom.  Any software or programs to recommend?  Also, any suggestions regarding food to sample or avoid are welcomed.  The itinerary is set, so sight seeing suggestions are unnecessary.

You might try this

http://www.nemoapps.com/phrasebooks/cantonese

Good bye is pretty easy.  Where is the bath room is on there, but good luck with that.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dtel said:

Back home now and missed alot here, but most important BSM and Minermark are back, really glad to see this :D

well, thank you.  that makes me question your mental health; but, thank you.  dry as a bone out here and everything is on fire.  as long as the grapevine doesn’t start to burn--i have to cross it friday on my way up north.

9 hours ago, babadono said:

and the Cherimoya

cherimoya-healthy-recipes.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DizRotus said:

check with Bruce (Marvel) i think his wife had a teaching job in China a while back.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Those look awesome...... I'll give a try.....

I'll see if we can find those... Were going to the Asian market with our friends from Indonesia soon. 

MKP :-)

The Cherimoya fruit skin and its crushed seeds are toxic; ingestion of either is discouraged except by those familiar with their medicinal qualities...

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

The Cherimoya fruit skin and its crushed seeds are toxic; ingestion of either is discouraged except by those familiar with their medicinal qualities...

Huh? Are you sure? Been to Peru many times, eaten many Cherimoyas. Perhaps I'm dead and you guys are angels:)

Never ate the skin or pits though, but none of my relatives ever told me to be careful not to.

• Like 4

Morning gang

Woke up early starving.

Fasting before surgry is not something i wish to get good at.

When i heal a week or two i'll pick up a "C" note of See's candy and drop it by Kaiser.

Great experience for NOT liking needles, i only survived Nam because4 of "AirGuns".

Shopping for RV generator, Coffee/Duggans flowing.

Honda 3000 is looking to fit the bill, plenty of watts for the Amp's and wife's need's i believe.

• Like 6

On another Note:

Month ago when this Hernia came up, the first thing the wife say's is, when we get the 5th wheel

are you going to be able to put the KHorns in it?

Well babe if i do, what do you have in mind for your home living room? (They are her KHorns).

Those EAW stacks tucked away in the Cave !

I was not serious about K's in the RV, she is dead serious.

My thoughts were Scallas, she just ask today >does Klipsch make smaller Speakers?<

QSC spare Amp is only 1000watts draw.

Really trying to NOT think about speakers yet

• Like 6

1 hour ago, minermark said:

On another Note:

Month ago when this Hernia came up, the first thing the wife say's is, when we get the 5th wheel

are you going to be able to put the KHorns in it?

Well babe if i do, what do you have in mind for your home living room? (They are her KHorns).

Those EAW stacks tucked away in the Cave !

I was not serious about K's in the RV, she is dead serious.

My thoughts were Scallas, she just ask today >does Klipsch make smaller Speakers?<

QSC spare Amp is only 1000watts draw.

Really trying to NOT think about speakers yet

Good morning everyone.....    :emotion-44:

Hey Mark!, you mean NOT hurking any of this stuff, right?  ;)

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Good morning everyone.....    :emotion-44:

Hey Mark!, you mean NOT hurking any of this stuff, right?  ;)

Hey Tiger

No real lifting/work/maintenance for at least two weeks.......

Yeah right, as im sitting here bidding on Honda Gensets for the RV :o

• Like 6

Morning Gents.  LF's house has been the non stop summer project and I have said several times it's winding down.  Tile guys are there now grouting the backsplash in the kitchen.  She ordered a copper mural from San Salvador and a copper farm sink from Mexico which slowed things down but should make for a very different look. 

Glass door for the shower will be installed this morning.  Borrowed a little room from the walk in closet to make a larger shower.  I had to talk her into that but she is happy now and the closet remains ample.

Okay...enough talk about that.  Missed out on some Heresy ll from MattSer that I was going to buy her for her A/V room.  Keep your eyes open for a good deal for me. 

Welcome back dtel, Mark, and Steve.

• Like 8

Morning all...

Should be a nice day today.... Much lower heat and humidity......

I had some excitement in the shop yesterday..... been working on cars for over 30 years and this was the 1st..... Customer (Ken) drops off his Acura TSX the other day and tells me it's making a rattling noise and the A/C has stopped working.... I started the car yesterday afternoon and was going to take it out for a test drive..... but I noticed some type of whining noise.... so I drove it in the shop.... with the hood up I was looking around.... the noise was coming from the drive belt system... I saw the front of the A/C compressor (A/C clutch) looked like it had over heated...... I'm thinking let me turn the A/C on and see if it's the compressor making noise..... I reached in the car and pushed the A/C button..... by the time I got back to the front of the car the compressor started rattling big time.... I'm like shitt let me turn it off.... I didn't make it two steps and the compressor blows apart..... OMG it was loud.... scared the crapp outta me..... The BOSS was like what the he!! was that?..... It stunk up the shop.... smoke and a nasty smell and oil all over the place..... the BOSS says " I want to be in the office when you call Ken":huh: 

Ahhhh he took it like a champ..... told him I wasn't even going to charge him for blowing up his compressor....lol lol

I tried to get a pic of it but there's to much stuff in the way..... there was pieces on compressor case on the shop floor... but most of explosion was stopped by the alternator.... fun times...

Coffee done..... rolling out.... a good day to all...

MKP :-)

• Like 6