Office Size Speakers To Go With Vintage Tube Gear

jcmusic

Where are you putting them?  On your desk or on a wall?

I tried the single driver speakers (Tektons) and didn't like them.  I use ERA Design 5's on my desk and they work very well. 

MSRP 900/pair?  Can they be had cheaper?

Edited by CECAA850

I really like my Klipsch RB-5's, had them running in the bedroom for awhile powered by a Jolida 102 tube integrated at 20 wpc and they sounded wonderful. Sunfire makes a fantastic, palm sized ribbon speaker that sounds great, the CRM-2 but they sound best with a sub.

Where are you putting them?  On your desk or on a wall?

I tried the single driver speakers (Tektons) and didn't like them.  I use ERA Design 5's on my desk and they work very well. 

MSRP 900/pair?  Can they be had cheaper?

If they pop up on Audiogon I think about $500 or $600.  I use them every day so they are worth it. 

I'm in the same boat. I have 2 pairs of Heresies, but their too big. I have looked at some of the Paradigm bookshelf stuff, since my neighbor is a dealer. It's nice, but pricey as hell.

Those full range speakers look pretty cool Carl. Perhaps just building a Fostex box full range, and adding a small powered sub is the thing to do....

I will be watching this thread closely.  

I have some JBL Control 25 speakers in my office at home. They sound very good to my ears. Not very big. They also have a ball, wall mount if you want to go that route, although mine are at ear height on the back of my desk.

Bruce

edited to change monitor to control...

Edited by Marvel

Wall mounts are very nice to have in some tight layouts.  The only way I could have TV speakers was a pair of Polks with wall mount brackets that also distribute good bass from the wall behind them.  No floor space or shelf space was available.

I think Paradigm's probably have better sound quality than Polk, and I wouldn't be surprised if Fostex does, too.  But I do advocate wall mounting if the layout benefits from it.

For smaller change I recommend the Kg 1.5 or 2.0.  Great sounding bookshelves on ebay right now for as little as $75.

I use mine as surrounds, but I think it's a waste since they are great as stand-alones. Will pair very well with tube gear.

• Like 1

thebes, I have four 1.5's that I may hook up as a 2nd surround system, maybe use two as fronts and two as surrounds.  I am curious what you are using as a center and sub, and what you are powering them with.  I was a tad concerned that the 1.5's could potentially receive some loud main/surround signals, that could potentially blow them.

a/d/s L300's or L400's you will not be disappointed.  If you want to stay Klipsch KG1's, 1.2's, or 1.5's are incredible for their size with real wood veneers.

Klipsch will always be my favorite, but when I had to go small for desk top use, I also chose the a/d/s L300's.  Fantastic near field sound, especially with the subwoof.  dwillie.

http://salvage77.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ADS_L300.jpg

Edited by dwillie

thebes, I have four 1.5's that I may hook up as a 2nd surround system, maybe use two as fronts and two as surrounds.  I am curious what you are using as a center and sub, and what you are powering them with.  I was a tad concerned that the 1.5's could potentially receive some loud main/surround signals, that could potentially blow them.

I'm using the Kg 1.5 as rears only.  At various times I have had KG 3.5's, 4.0's, 4.2s and 5.2's as main. I'm currently using Heresies as mains in this sytem.  My center is a KV 2.2, with no sub (subs blown).

As far as blowing them,I guess it would depend on how you set the parameters in the receiver and how high you go volume-wise.  If you are going with high volumes you might want to obtain some KG floor standers. Great bang-for-the-buck given what you can bu yKG's for these days.