Objectionable phrases/words

Hornmiester

If you were sitting in a crowded restaurant and heard either of the aforementioned phrases, would you pound your fist on the table, stand up on your chair and yell "certain phrases have offended me and i believe this restaurant is no place for such phrases. i am offended!" ??

No but he would probably tell the people at his table.

I saw no such pounding and heard no yelling

I'm in agreement with the original poster, everybody knows what the "F" means in that phrase, and the F-word by definition is offensive, so no surprise that some will be offended....and believe me, if someone uses the word within ear-shot of my wife and I whilst dining out in a restaurant then I would say something.

• Like 3

I find it interesting that we accept the use of euphemisms over the real word, when the real word is offensive. They actually mean the same thing, so the should both be offensive.

Bruce

• Like 2

No one has a right to not be offended; it simply doesn't exist.  The Constitution GUARANTEES me the right to offend and to use the F-word specifically.  See Cohen v. California.

In his opinion Justice Harlan famously wrote "one man's vulgarity is another's lyric."

As a society we are becoming far too comfortable allowing the PC crowd to dictate what is acceptable speech - it is ALL acceptable, any one person's or group's sensitivities be damned.

An example of the aforementioned stupidity is this story where a bi-racial guy was fired because he made unflattering remarks about Michelle Obama.  The PC crowd erroneously claimed it was racist.  He didn't even use a racist word but now apparently if you use ape in a sentence it is verboten.  When unflattering equals racism, we have a problem.  Personally, I found some of the apes in Planet of the Apes quite attractive.

Then you have Universities with their panties in an uproar and want these words banned because they are deemed offensive: illegal alien, crazy, insane, retarded, “tranny,” ***, gypped, “***,” ghetto, and “*******,”

Where does it stop?  It doesn't once you start catering to every Tom, Dick, and Harry so as not to offend.

Edited by Autarchist
  • Like 2

No one has a right to not be offended; it simply doesn't exist.  The Constitution GUARANTEES me the right to offend and to use the F-word specifically.  See Cohen v. California.

In his opinion Justice Harlan famously wrote "one man's vulgarity is another's lyric."

As a society we are becoming far too comfortable allowing the PC crowd to dictate what is acceptable speech - it is ALL acceptable, any one person's sensitivities be damned.

and the corporate work place would then GUARANTEE you be fired

edit: and I am very well aware that this is not the corporate work place

Edited by USNRET

As a society we are becoming far too comfortable allowing the PC crowd to dictate what is acceptable speech - it is ALL acceptable, any one person's or group's sensitivities be damned.

Yes, the constitution does not allow the US government to restrict the freedom of speech.

Is it your opinion that a website sponsored by Klipsch Inc is the US government?

We are a group of folks with some common interests. Each of us brings our own set of values and beliefs. Why not respect the fact that not everyone shares your  values, nor should they need to. If the OP found it personally offensive, then it was. Nothing to discuss.

• Like 1

I'll be taking copious notes of everyone's vocabulary in April.

Why take notes? If something is said that bothers you should take the offender outside and express your feelings. I believe that is what you stated should be done.

Yes, the constitution does not allow the US government to restrict the freedom of speech.

Is it your opinion that a website sponsored by Klipsch Inc is the US government?

We are a group of folks with some common interests. Each of us brings our own set of values and beliefs. Why not respect the fact that not everyone shares your  values, nor should they need to. If the OP found it personally offensive, then it was. Nothing to discuss.

I am making a statement period about "calls" for censorship. 

Klipsch can do as they want as do many corporations.  However, people should be offended that society today thinks curbing free speech is a good idea; I am.  I am offended that certain sites and certain companies are willing to claim that in the name of diversity, they force assimilation.  I am offended that the list of words that are "offensive" grow daily.  Now a series of letters offend.

The OP stated he was offended.  He has every right to be and there is no argument to that. But for those who don't share his particular belief, they are offended as well.

My point is simply, if you are offended, "stiffen that upper lip up."

• Like 2

However, people should be offended that society today thinks curbing free speech is a good idea; I am. I am offended that certain sites and certain companies are willing to claim that in the name of diversity, they force assimilation. I am offended that the list of words that are "offensive" grow daily.

PC has certainly gotten out of hand.

• Like 2

What about LMFAO ?

No go.  "LMBO" is an OK alternative.

I'm just not a fan of profanity, I had my share of that when I was an adolescent.  Adults should be able to articulate ideas without having to use profane language or insinuating profane language.  FYI, I am also not a fan of using the abbreviation "N-word."  To me its the same as using the original word, which is equally not-OK.

• Like 2