Things from the past that are gone and you dont know why because they were great?

Max2

Guest David H

Marathon bars were the best.

The old processed Carls Jr French fries..

Chicken Littles from the 80's.

Jolt cola.

Tab.

At lease we still have Cactus Cooler.

A few lessor things:

Arcades.  At least the kids could have some social interaction meeting new friends, now they stay locked up in front of the Demon box, playing a Demon shooting good guys.

What about MTV and the music videos?  I already hear people grumbling over this one, but it had a good run and I enjoyed some of the videos. Heck even I was young then.   Did groups get paid any royalties with videos?  I don't know.....

Cane Sugar.  Why is it gone? It tastes so much better, but the dang boutique drinks you get with it at the store are expensive.

Cane sugar is gone in Coke and Pepsi simply because it costs the big bottlers more than high fructose corn syrup.

If you don't want to ingest a lot of future health problems avoid the consumption of any product made with HFCS. Buy Mexican (cane sugar Coke or Pepsi) or Coca-Cola made in Canada which is made with beet sugar or pay more and drink less boutique colas.

You can get Coke bottled in the US that uses sugar only  instead of HFCS around Easter every year. Look for a yellow cap on the 2 liter bottle that indicates the product is kosher (blessed by a Jewish rabbi) as it will have been made with sugar. It will also be the same price as the HFCS Coke.

• Like 2

You know if you don't put your foot down on a motorcycle when you stop, you will fall over.  

Not if you have good balance.  (I couldn't balance on the pegs of the Japanese bikes, but I could on the European models.)  :)

If you lean the opposite way on a bike when you turn, you will fall over.  

On a dirt bike, you lean left to go left.  Those stupid trikes were the opposite!  BTW, on a street bike, at speed if you push right on the handlebars you will go left.  Don't make the push abruptly, be smooth.

There is a learning curve to anything that has possibilities that can lead to an injury. 

Ha!  Tell me about it.  I still have burn scars due to the Philips head screws that held on the "heat shield" from my Honda Mini Trail 50.  (the screws that held the heat shield on were NOT shielded!)

As far as Govt statistics go, just as many injuries occurred in later four wheelers when compared to three wheelers. Everyone knows the three wheelers are not as stable as a four wheeler, but to condemn them

I'm not the one who made them illegal, the government did.  And you are right about four wheelers, except the problems with the 3-wheelers had to do with incredibly unstable engineering, the problem with 4-wheelers is the dummies who don't ride them responsibly. 

I don't know the stats but I would bet my beloved state of West Virginia leads the nation per capita in people who kill themselves on 4-wheelers every year.  Something to do with no skill, riding way too fast, and crashing into trees with no helmets while intoxicated.  It happens a lot in my neck of the woods.

and not realize they were the stepping stone for all UTV's and ATV's that everyone enjoys today is absurd.  

Of course they were the stepping stones to the 4-wheeled revolution.  They overtook dirt bikes in terms of sales in the 80's and 90's and probably saved several motorcycle companies when dirt bike sales plummeted.

I don't know how old you are, but these things first came out in the late 60's when you may have been playing with and eating candy cigarettes, tossing yard darts and chasing cars down the road with your dog. And then again, you may have been operating a tractor at the age of 10 or above which is quite common. 

I owned the first Honda 50 Mini-trail when they came out.  I also owned the first Honda CT-70 Mini-Trail.  Then the first Honda SL-100 (pre-curser to the Honda XR's.  I owned the first Honda XL-250 4-stroke, and owned the first two-stroke Honda MX bike the CR-250, in 1972.  I went on to a Husky 250 and then to a Penton 250 (now KTM 250) and raced off-road all over the east coast for 10 years.  I love bikes. 

It's not that I hate 3 or 4 wheelers, it's just that I have no skill with them, I don't trust them, and I'm afraid of them.  I'll take a dirt bike any day of the week.  :)

All kids deserve a great childhood and sometimes fun goes hand in hand with accidental possibilities. Anyone riding anything needs to be taught how gravity and physics work before they are turned loose and go ape shit like a penned up birddog that is taken out twice a year.  If someone old enough to know better and has issues regardless of what they are riding, then there is obvious slack in-between the throttle, the brake lever and the azz on the seat.

We don't have enough time here to go into all my injuries.  In my first MX race ever at age 14 on the Honda 100 when I crashed in the first turn while leading and my best friend who was running in last place, ran over me, breaking my left arm in two places. 

In the next 6 weeks while it was mending I used to duct tape my arm with the cast on it it to the handlebar and go riding when my dad wasn't home.  He found out and took the key to keep me from riding, so I hot wired the bike and went riding.  I got so good at it I could hot wire it and start it faster than using the key.  There was no way I could wait six weeks for the arm to heal, there was riding to do.

I broke my ribs going off a jump on that XL-250 4-stroke when I crashed my brains out and it landed on top of me (if you call me stupid for trying to MX race a 300 pound trail bike, I will agree with you   :rolleyes:   ) and I really screwed up my back for a month crashing my brains out doing a power wheelie and the guy behind me ran me over (my fault).  The doctor had to take 4 giant syringes of blood out of my back.  I had to take a whole month off that time.

Each time I was hurt, all I could think of was to get back on my bike and ride.

Lessons in life from dirt bike riding.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

One acre grape vineyard

One acre strawberry patch

Five apple, pear, plum, peach, sweet cherry and sour cherry orchards.

One acre garden with tomatoes, beans, peppers, onions, sweet corn, and potatoes.

One woods with blackberries.

One huge cider press operated by tractor take off.

JJK

Anyone remember when the Zenith 19 inch color television was considered the best of the best and sold for almost $400 many years ago? I still have mine and it still works but is not being used. Quality built in the USA.  

I think Abe Lincoln had one :D

Fun, yes!  But we weren't doing anything that I would want my kids doing.

Kids are still doing the same things or worse, but now they're forced into more private venues. I don't really see that as a win.

There is nothing for kids 10-17 to do anymore.  Malls are dying due to online sales.  They wonder why kids get in trouble.  If they or their families can't afford to spend on Dave & Busters or some fun place, kids find something.  Hey, I was a dumb teen once.  We broke EVERYTHING and we were stupid.  But we had options.  Now kids don't.  Scary world we live in.

Not quite sure why it is the requirement of the public, or merchants, or the government to provide or give kids "something to do"??  How about parents or family stepping up and figuring it out.  How about participating in organized sports, or volunteering in their neighborhoods, or other outdoor activities.  NO options?  Really?

Yep, every 17 year old wants to hang out at the food bank on Saturday nights.

• Like 1

A few lessor things:

Arcades.  At least the kids could have some social interaction meeting new friends, now they stay locked up in front of the Demon box, playing a Demon shooting good guys.

What about MTV and the music videos?  I already hear people grumbling over this one, but it had a good run and I enjoyed some of the videos. Heck even I was young then.   Did groups get paid any royalties with videos?  I don't know.....

Cane Sugar.  Why is it gone? It tastes so much better, but the dang boutique drinks you get with it at the store are expensive.

Cane sugar is gone in Coke and Pepsi simply because it costs the big bottlers more than high fructose corn syrup.

If you don't want to ingest a lot of future health problems avoid the consumption of any product made with HFCS. Buy Mexican (cane sugar Coke or Pepsi) or Coca-Cola made in Canada which is made with beet sugar or pay more and drink less boutique colas.

You can get Coke bottled in the US that uses sugar only  instead of HFCS around Easter every year. Look for a yellow cap on the 2 liter bottle that indicates the product is kosher (blessed by a Jewish rabbi) as it will have been made with sugar. It will also be the same price as the HFCS Coke.

You can get Mexican coke at the home depot. No Jewish rabbi necessary.

Maybe a little off topic, but what about those things that just don't seem to be a good as you remember?  I tried a Twinkie the other day and I bet I haven't had one in 20 years.  Just didn't taste like I remember.  Ritz crackers is another.  Just not as buttery.  I don't know if its my taste buds or if they've reduced costs by using less costly ingredients. 

Maybe a little off topic, but what about those things that just don't seem to be a good as you remember?  I tried a Twinkie the other day and I bet I haven't had one in 20 years.  Just didn't taste like I remember.  Ritz crackers is another.  Just not as buttery. 

I do run into an ex-girlfriend occasionally, I get the same feeling.  

• Like 4

Fun, yes!  But we weren't doing anything that I would want my kids doing.

Kids are still doing the same things or worse, but now they're forced into more private venues. I don't really see that as a win.

There is nothing for kids 10-17 to do anymore.  Malls are dying due to online sales.  They wonder why kids get in trouble.  If they or their families can't afford to spend on Dave & Busters or some fun place, kids find something.  Hey, I was a dumb teen once.  We broke EVERYTHING and we were stupid.  But we had options.  Now kids don't.  Scary world we live in.
Not quite sure why it is the requirement of the public, or merchants, or the government to provide or give kids "something to do"??  How about parents or family stepping up and figuring it out.  How about participating in organized sports, or volunteering in their neighborhoods, or other outdoor activities.  NO options?  Really?

Yep, every 17 year old wants to hang out at the food bank on Saturday nights.

I think I accidentally upset Ceptorman.  Sorry.  Just an opinion.  But, opinion only, communities do have some responsibility to provide safe, clean environments.  Part of that safety would be controlled venues for young people.  I remember arcades.  They may have smelled a bit funny, but I never saw violence and had something my low middle class family could afford to pay for.  We didn't have money for organized sports e.g. football pads and gear needed to be purchased from the school or a certified supplier and we couldn't afford it.  I don't blame my parents.  

Malls - though expensive, offered a public gathering place indoors for those kids who are allergic to sunlight and activity.  

And on the sugar soda note - why is our country so against natural ingredients?  Or, when we do get 'natural' or organic, it costs more?  Cane sugar = win

The "Pig Trough" at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour. I understand that after being gone for a long time, recently a new group has resurrected the name in SoCal & Hawaii. But they have not been in my area for decades. I wonder how the new enterprise stacks up to the original.

pAbfii.png

• Like 3