Sometimes the joke's on you

Pete H

You really do not have a clue here...

I think that could have been phrased a little better.

Yes, I could be a lot more tactful and I am smooth as a corn cobb hear, but that does not stop the fact that it is absolutely the truth and you, I as well as others here know it.

I have been biting my tongue here for a while he and that new female member posted about the unfairness of it all without having one single idea of what it was all about.

It is time for him to stop the conspiracy theories and the poor picked on Mark when he does not know what it was about?

A better way to go Jim would be to PM somebody and ask what it is all about,  you might actually learn something!!

at 8 years on the forum, I was the youngest member in that mess, and the member who got banned was the oldest member on that thread.

Roger

New members or prospective new members aren't interested in the soap opera history of this forum. And Klispch the corporation probably really isn't either.  

If I am a investigating the brand and I find this forum to see who the people are that buy the product and run into THAT thread, what do you suppose my impressions should be? Would this be a place I would want to visit often; sign up to be a member of?

About anytime I log on, I can find no more than about 30-35 members signed in and about 80 guests. Most of those members are the same people day after day. Some of them, but not all of them, are members of the 'clique.'

Should I wonder about a brand with worldwide appeal with literally millions of customers that hosts an online forum with an active member roster that isn't at least in the hundreds. I can only guess about the why it isn't more and I would definitely include threads such as that as a possible contributing reason.

TLDR; this isn't your personal forum to gather and berate a subscribed member. If you have a history that absolutely must be talked about, take it private.

You raise a lot of points which involve various issues.  One of which is the slow death of forum participation in general.  Science says correlation does not imply causation.  Everyone is welcome here until  they grossly violate the TOS.  One such former member did as much plus raised a huge stink, then shows back up pretending to be someone else.  That's all it boils down to.  It is folly to think that people anywhere any time can congregate whether physically or virtually and not form social bonds.  How could anyone with even the most basic human social knowledge expect otherwise?  I have seen the stick to the subject/purpose type regulated forums disappear way faster than those that bend for social interaction, with its inevitable pitfalls.

• Like 2

I had some good friends who were from Kansas City who were in a band called "The Clique." I have a lot fo great memories watching them at the Wine Cellar in Little Rock, and a place in Russellville that the name escapes me. Don Schmidt was the lead guitarist and I remember he used to leap off the stage and land on his knees playing some Eddie Van Halen guitar---Most excellent in experience and music.

Yes, I could be a lot more tactful and I am smooth as a corn cobb hear, but that does not stop the fact that it is absolutely the truth and you, I as well as others here know it.

I have been biting my tongue here for a while he and that new female member posted about the unfairness of it all without having one single idea of what it was all about.

It is time for him to stop the conspiracy theories and the poor picked on Mark when he does not know what it was about?

A better way to go Jim would be to PM somebody and ask what it is all about,  you might actually learn something!!

at 8 years on the forum, I was the youngest member in that mess, and the member who got banned was the oldest member on that thread.

Roger

New members or prospective new members aren't interested in the soap opera history of this forum. And Klispch the corporation probably really isn't either.  

If I am a investigating the brand and I find this forum to see who the people are that buy the product and run into THAT thread, what do you suppose my impressions should be? Would this be a place I would want to visit often; sign up to be a member of?

About anytime I log on, I can find no more than about 30-35 members signed in and about 80 guests. Most of those members are the same people day after day. Some of them, but not all of them, are members of the 'clique.'

Should I wonder about a brand with worldwide appeal with literally millions of customers that hosts an online forum with an active member roster that isn't at least in the hundreds. I can only guess about the why it isn't more and I would definitely include threads such as that as a possible contributing reason.

TLDR; this isn't your personal forum to gather and berate a subscribed member. If you have a history that absolutely must be talked about, take it private.

You raise a lot of points which involve various issues.  One of which is the slow death of forum participation in general.  Science says correlation does not imply causation.  Everyone is welcome here until  they grossly violate the TOS.  One such former member did as much plus raised a huge stink, then shows back up pretending to be someone else.  That's all it boils down to.  It is folly to think that people anywhere any time can congregate whether physically or virtually and not form social bonds.  How could anyone with even the most basic human social knowledge expect otherwise?  I have seen the stick to the subject/purpose type regulated forums disappear way faster than those that bend for social interaction, with its inevitable pitfalls.

I do not forsake personal or even social (especially online) bonds. They are important in the formation of any community. And after all, this is the Klipsch community. But as a new member, I'm keenly aware that the members should first and foremost remember the purpose of the community. Here it is to promote, talk, share, etc., all things Klipsch. I would hope that the most senior members of this community would cherish those ideals more than I. 

But I'm not sure that as the case. 

That thread from inception to conclusion was inappropriate. It served no purpose other than to highlight a member who only those who knew the history of could possibly be concerned about. And it was then used as a grade school bathroom for everyone who had a gripe to poke him with a stick.

Can you tell me, was that the best face this community can offer to the outside world looking on?  80 or more guests had a front row seat if they wanted it. 

Worse, the administrator had a stick, too. I assume Chad is a Klipsch employee and as such he should remember why this site exists and what its purpose is for.

The thread should have been deleted by a mod the second it was created. Just my opinion. And even when it was appropriately locked, it was unlocked after some 'level-headed' off the books discussion!

And lastly I'm curious.  If this person is such a pariah why do you 'adults' insist on replying to his posts? Just ignore him, say nothing in response to anything he submits. Certainly there is plenty here for you to focus on instead of him. 

And lastly I'm curious. If this person is such a pariah why do you 'adults' insist on replying to his posts? Just ignore him, say nothing in response to anything he submits. Certainly there is plenty here for you to focus on instead of him.

Bella you are commenting on a Forum that has been around for almost 17 years. For the record, if it was such a good idea other companies would've followed but in todays internet/goggle age my guess is that it's more valuable to the people who post here on a regular basis than it is for Klipsch selling products.

Insofar as the poster in question is concerned, he really wasn't a pariah as much as an opinionated person who liked to engage in discourse. Most of us here liked him and on occasion he pissed some people off...The last situation prior to him coming back took a lot of our written efforts as collateral damage and I am not pleased with him for that but it's water under the bridge now...

Insofar as your other comments are concerned, this topic is in the Lounge Section which should have a minimum post requirement of ******* which participants should have gotten by posting on all of the Audio/Speaker threads and by that time have gotten bored so these conversations wouldn't be so offensive to those that have no interest---That's my take.

I'm not arguing with you.  However, out of those 80 "guests" neither you nor I know how many were actually members who preferred not to log on at that time.  I applaud your criticism of the thread and understand why it should have been locked/deleted from the start.  Unfortunately the person in question is an unprecedented case here and well, people are human.   It was not 100% confirmed at the time who it actually was, and people being human, would rather respond than err on presumption of guilt. 

if you want a heavy-handed moderator presence just head on over to Audiokarma - and they're certainly not biased...

I liked AK until a moderator edited one of my posts without permission because I wasn't "specific" enough. I left for good after that...

Edited by mike stehr

Roger

I do not forsake personal or even social (especially online) bonds. They are important in the formation of any community. And after all, this is the Klipsch community. But as a new member, I'm keenly aware that the members should first and foremost remember the purpose of the community. Here it is to promote, talk, share, etc., all things Klipsch. I would hope that the most senior members of this community would cherish those ideals more than I. 

That thread from inception to conclusion was inappropriate. It served no purpose other than to highlight a member who only those who knew the history of could possibly be concerned about. And it was then used as a grade school bathroom for everyone who had a gripe to poke him with a stick.

Can you tell me, was that the best face this community can offer to the outside world looking on?  80 or more guests had a front row seat if they wanted it. 

Worse, the administrator had a stick, too. I assume Chad is a Klipsch employee and as such he should remember why this site exists and what its purpose is for.

The thread should have been deleted by a mod the second it was created. Just my opinion. And even when it was appropriately locked, it was unlocked after some 'level-headed' off the books discussion!

And lastly I'm curious.  If this person is such a pariah why do you 'adults' insist on replying to his posts? Just ignore him, say nothing in response to anything he submits. Certainly there is plenty here for you to focus on instead of him. 

Bella,

I suggest you take a reality check of online forums.

Go sign up on ANY motorcycle forum and start accusing members and moderators of being unfair and in a clique, and I guarantee you that you will be directly attacked and banned in short order.

The fact that you have not been banned, nor ganged up on suggests other than what you suggest.

May I suggest that you get over it, and as previously stated, get your butt to Hope in May and meet some of these "conspirators" in person.

You just might find yourself doing a reevaluation of your initial thoughts on this whole thing.

Roger

• Like 1

At the end of the day,  And after looking in mirror.  I believe this is Klipsch's Forum. 

They put this here for our benefit.

They could always take it away.

Made my own mistakes and could have been banned.  :(

john

• Like 1

Roger

Bella,

I suggest you take a reality check of online forums.

Go sign up on ANY motorcycle forum and start accusing members and moderators of being unfair and in a clique, and I guarantee you that you will be directly attacked and banned in short order.

The fact that you have not been banned, nor ganged up on suggests other than what you suggest.

May I suggest that you get over it, and as previously stated, get your butt to Hope in May and meet some of these "conspirators" in person.

You just might find yourself doing a reevaluation of your initial thoughts on this whole thing.

Roger

This is the only forum I belong to, that I have ever belonged to, and that I ever will belong to. I lurked for more than a year. Then I joined. I've played a little bit of the role of a newcomer, but I know who Mark is - that's how long I've been looking around. I know more about these forums and it's members than you assume I do. This is a bit a quirk I carry in my personality where I am as thorough as I possibly can be before I commit. It's served me well in my personal and professional life. So I stick with what works.

The reason I joined in spite of knowing the 'short comings' of this community is because a) I love Klipsch, b ) there are some very good members and some very good moderators, and c) the shortcoming of this community are the strengths of others - it is miles beyond others. It shows. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't check ourselves. Slip and fall, get back up admit the shortcomings and continue on. No harm done. I see that in this community; in the members that are the 'clique.' 

Which, btw, I do not mean in a derogatory manner. It's my description of those members who have been here for a long time and who know each other beyond the keyboard. Think 'Cheers' (one of my all time favorite television comedies). Where the regulars can talk and cut up with the bartenders (the moderators) and get away with a little bit more than the average customer off the street. I know you get together every year in Hope. I know you have a great time and you build friendships. I know you laugh with them. And I know you cry with them. 

I know who Boxx was. And I saw how this community reacted to his passing.

When you see me commenting on the conduct of the members keep this in mind: I know what it is capable of, because I've seen it, and I decided to be a part of it. We are all better than that thread.

Like every close community there are disagreements and there will be more. But we should be mindful that what we put here on this forum is there for everyone to see: prospective members, guests included. Forever. For heavens sake, it takes effort to log on, read a post, click the reply button, write what we want to share and then click post. You'd think in that amount of time an adult would be able to parse their words and come up with a result that takes into account the person on the other end of those comments and the reflection it has on us as individuals. If you can't, don't post. Log off and come back when you've gathered yourself. 

Thank you very much for the invite to Hope. But for very personal reasons, I could never attend.

Edited by Bella
  • Like 1