Shot Gorilla - ?What Sub-Moron designed.....

Karsoncookie

I think that some of the standards regarding barriers at zoos are aimed at keeping the animals in rather than keeping visitors out, and that is what the inspectors were looking at.

Any barrier that can be climbed is not much of a barrier, IMHO.

The people who were screaming at the animal should bear part of the blame. It was clearly agitating the gorilla and making a bad situation worse.

Last but not least, the parent(s) are partially responsible.

The zoo had no choice but to shoot the animal, and I am sure they wished they didn't have to do so.

• Like 1

As others have mentioned, zoo enclosures were designed to keep dangerous animals in, with less emphasis on keeping humans out.  It seems to me that people getting into the enclosures was less of an issue in the past, because of common sense.  People didn't need to be told that grizzly bears aren't teddy bears and tigers aren't kitty cats.  The suicidal man who got naked and climbed into a lion's den with hopes of being eaten is something that most engineers rarely anticipate.  The lions were even ignoring the man, until he started taunting them.  In other articles, it's mentioned that he was yelling religious statements.

The zookeepers tried shooting the lions with a tranquilizer gun, but hit the man in the neck instead.  When you look at the pictures, it's obvious how easily that could happen, with the man and the lions entangled.  It was then decided to kill both lions, as the man would have been killed very soon if nothing was done.  He survived with serious injuries, plus overdosing due to receiving a lion-sized dose of tranquilizer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/21/two-lions-put-to-death-after-mauling-naked-man-who-entered-pen/

Is it just me, or are people getting weirder, requiring expensive upgrades to many things that end up making the attraction less attractive, or the creature on view harder to view?

No it's not you, it's the dumbing down of society without getting political. No one wants top take responsibility for their own actions, no one wants to mind their own business, no one wants to help their fellow man but will videotape them in a situation, no one respects authority anymore............

• Like 1