Muhammad Ali

Wolfbane

A great fighter? Absolutely. A great American role model? Not even close. The "King" Elvis Presley was called upon to serve his country and he rose to the occasion. That is what every citizen should do if called upon, protect and defend their Country, no matter how famous, rich, poor or whatever. Should be no debate there. Just my 2 pennies.

However, my condolences to his family.

• Like 1

RIP Ali, a great man and a type of ambassador for the USA.  You are not born with a commitment to serve this nation.  I don't remember reading  a commitment to serve the country in the constitution from our for fathers.  Wars are highly political and a great number are not to protect our freedom.  I was in the service and technically still am has a commissioned officer.

• Like 2

A great fighter? Absolutely. A great American role model? Not even close. The "King" Elvis Presley was called upon to serve his country and he rose to the occasion.

So you are saying that Elvis was a great American role model?  Get real.....Spent two very protected years in the Army....in Germany.  Pursued and moved a 14 year old girl into Graceland (Priscilla).  Died of a drug overdose.  

Yep, great role model.

• Like 2

A great fighter? Absolutely. A great American role model? Not even close. The "King" Elvis Presley was called upon to serve his country and he rose to the occasion.

So you are saying that Elvis was a great American role model?  Get real.....Spent two very protected years in the Army....in Germany.  Pursued and moved a 14 year old girl into Graceland (Priscilla).  Died of a drug overdose.  

Yep, great role model.

Elvis, imho, was a great role model in his younger years. Ali, like Louis Armstrong, was a great role model his entire life. 

Since no man is or was perfect, then it makes no sense cherry picking certain things.  It has always been my preference to look at how much good someone has contributed to the world and not single out a few negative things.  This philosophy is based on the assumption that most people are good and should be judge on their entire life time contributions.

Edited by derrickdj1

Since no man is or was perfect, then it makes no sense cherry picking certain things.  It has always been my preference to look at how much good someone has contributed to the world and not single out a few negative things.  This philosophy is based on the assumption that most people are good and should be judge on their entire life time contributions.

I agree, I apologize coming off as a hard arse. I didn't mean to compare them, although it seems like I did. 

I don't want to change the subject, but….in their prime….Ali or Tyson?

Completely different styles.  Ali the finesse boxer with some power and Tyson the powerful puncher with deceiving hand speed.  

Maybe could have been a good match.

Bill

• Like 1

Many celebrities have been called or enlisted for duty and those who did serve were often assigned duty more akin to public relations and not combat roles.  The exceptions are those like Jimmy Stewart who sought serious duty with very serious perils.  I wonder what Ali would've been assigned had he calmly met his responsibility?  I appreciate that Ali did not join ranks with the more radical elements and made his points as a solo protester.  

Many celebrities have been called or enlisted for duty and those who did serve were often assigned duty more akin to public relations and not combat roles.  The exceptions are those like Jimmy Stewart who sought serious duty with very serious perils.  I wonder what Ali would've been assigned had he calmly met his responsibility?  I appreciate that Ali did not join ranks with the more radical elements and made his points as a solo protester.  

The Army planned on having him tour US bases across the world putting on boxing demonstrations akin to what they did with Joe Louis during the Second World War.

Ali was not prepared to do so.

I don't want to change the subject, but….in their prime….Ali or Tyson?

Completely different styles.  Ali the finesse boxer with some power and Tyson the powerful puncher with deceiving hand speed.  

Maybe could have been a good match.

Bill

Maybe? I think that would've been the ultimate heavyweight fight. 

I would go with Tyson, in his prime he was devastating.

• Like 1