What I Got Today!

Brac

Have you located the leak? I like to think I'm a pretty handy guy, but plumbing problems are always on the bottom of my list.

Isn't there only three things a plumber needs to know?

It was the 12 yr old water heater, dunno specifically where inside, but water was coming from out of the nipple and top seam. Drain plug was clogged with sediment. It was a fun night. Fortunately there wasn't a single thing damaged as a result

• Like 1

No Damage?  Man you lucked out.  

My misfortune has been to come home from work to find water spraying and no idea how long it leaked.  Looked like a long time.  What the heck.  They make water heaters every day.  The Gas fired water heaters do not seem to last as long as the electric ones.

My very, very favorite cheese....extraordinarily bad for you, but, what the hell....If you've never had it, you owe it to yourself to ask your local cheesemonger to get some..  Brie doesn't hold a candle to this stuff....

Explorateur Triple Creme (French)

No Damage?  Man you lucked out.  

My misfortune has been to come home from work to find water spraying and no idea how long it leaked.  Looked like a long time.  What the heck.  They make water heaters every day.  The Gas fired water heaters do not seem to last as long as the electric ones.

indeed. it's a large closet where I also have my AV rack, camping equipment, shooting gear etc. Everything is intentionally off the floor for this very reason and I was glad that the tank merely "leaked profusely" and did not spray everywhere as you described.

i almost went to bed without even knowing, but my RF remote is sometimes finicky with device shutdown and I went in to make sure the blu-ray player was off. It hadn't been leaking for very long at that point so I was able to clean things up and avoid any real damage.

Most people know to periodically drain their units but no one actually does.

That's true... But isn't that true of most all things that require minor maintenance; like putting a vacuum to the refrigerator. 

Absolutely.

The kicker is that even if Thad did that, it wouldn't have prevented the issue he had.  Draining removes sediment, he had a leak.  Most likely, the sacrificial anode was spent and he had a corrosion problem.

That's true... But isn't that true of most all things that require minor maintenance; like putting a vacuum to the refrigerator. 

Absolutely.

The kicker is that even if Thad did that, it wouldn't have prevented the issue he had.  Draining removes sediment, he had a leak.  Most likely, the sacrificial anode was spent and he had a corrosion problem.

Thad is most likely like me, getting his water from a SUD. 

Where I am, we do not purchase our water from a major system; like Dallas. 

Our SUD water is terrible when it come to wear on my appliances.  I should have listened better when my builder suggested that I put in a "water filter" when I built my home...

Absolutely.

Thad is most likely like me, getting his water from a SUD. 

Where I am, we do not purchase our water from a major system; like Dallas. 

Our SUD water is terrible when it come to wear on my appliances.  I should have listened better when my builder suggested that I put in a "water filter" when I built my home...

Yea we use a co-op for water. I was not diligent in flushing the tank, which made it near impossible to drain because of sediment - had to do some things to work around that. the real leaks were coming from up top, so definitely a corrosion failure. I've only been responsible for the tank 2 years out of the 12, so I can't bear all of the fault.

We have a whole-house filter, which is as old or older than the heater i just replaced. we had to mess with it during the install and now the stupid little pressure release button is leaking constantly. So I'm replacing that whole assembly tomorrow.

Father in law helped me with the water heater replacement since I'm a plumbing novice. I asked lots of questions and took lots of notes, so I'm going to give tomorrow's job a try on my own and apply what I learned.

Boxx - Definitely look into getting a sediment filter for the house to remove all that sand, rust, etc that is inherently present in the lines. It'll reduce the amount of soap you need to clean things and prolong the life of your appliances.

Great lessons this week, just crappy time of year to do it.

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!