What I Got Today!

Brac

• Moderators

What I got today.....So a guy with a lot of nerve stops by the house, he asked if he can have some of the wood I have stacked on the side of the house, I paid $200 for a cord of nice red oak firewood. He says it's the only heat he has, (with a sad face) to try and make me feel sorry for him. He was a little surprise when I said NO you can't have any :( It is the only heat we have also and I paid for that wood since I don't have trees in the yard I didn't plant myself and want to keep. 

Does he think it just fell from the sky neatly stacked, even if was free and I cut, split and stacked it I wouldn't give it away. OK I am over it now, it just got on my nerves. :angry:

Having the wife's car fixed after a lady bumped into the back while sitting at a stop sign. Got the rental car (nice, Nissan Altima). Jerks certainly didn't clean it any before letting us take it. Weird... the on dash tire pressure gauges show left rear at 45 pounds. Right read at 29. Fronts also highly mismatched. Thing is, it handles prefectly, so I thought they might have false readings.

Checked with my gauge... and they were that far off. I've evened them out.

You would THINK that the rental place would have checked everything.

Bruce

• Like 1

i live in the land of panhandlers … some quite militant.  i had them chase me down and race me to my car, knock on the window of my car and tell me how they prevented someone from breaking into my car--i say thanks and then they ask for money.  sometimes i do give some cash--sometimes i don’t. i wrestle with this issue as i know i’ve been blessed and think we should help out those in need; but, where i have trouble is determining if they are in need or not.  perhaps that’s not something that i should consider.  i generally do not give money to those that i see day after day after day -- those i fear have just accepted begging as their way of life. you see the whole gamut though -- guys playing the guitar hoping for tips -- and they’re playing a Martin or Guild; i did see this one older fellow, very dirty appearance -- digging in a trash can at a bus stop--pulling out containers that once had someone’s food in it and eating or drinking anything left in the container. Now that guy really needs the help.  heard this guy from a rescue mission on the radio once -- he said for those of us in the Los Angeles area there are so many missions, shelters, and other places available that it would be virtually impossible for a person to go hungry if they needed help. his organization had business cards that he suggested people get and hand them out to the panhandlers--the cards had directions to their mission/shelter.  i know i have felt guilty seeing someone with a sign on the side of the road as i drive by in my nice BMW and head home to rooms full of tvs, guitars, amps and speakers.  it’s raining today and i’m sure to see someone standing in the rain with a sign -- i think i’ll give them some cash today and not worry about what they’ll do with it--i’ll hope they buy food--if not, they can laugh at me for being a sucker; but, i can live with that and shame on them anyways.  hopefully i’ve helped someone that really needed it sometime in my life. 

Having the wife's car fixed after a lady bumped into the back while sitting at a stop sign. Got the rental car (nice, Nissan Altima). Jerks certainly didn't clean it any before letting us take it. Weird... the on dash tire pressure gauges show left rear at 45 pounds. Right read at 29. Fronts also highly mismatched. Thing is, it handles prefectly, so I thought they might have false readings.

Checked with my gauge... and they were that far off. I've evened them out.

You would THINK that the rental place would have checked everything.

Bruce

i hear you Bruce.  Had my BMW in the shop once and got a loaner from the dealer. they give me this paper with all the charges if i don’t bring it back with a full tank and clean, etc… they clearly hadn’t cleaned the car before they gave it to me--paper wrappers, spilt coffee (hopefully it was just coffee), etc...

A RC-52II center speaker and a Denon 2309CI AVR. Both minty off of CL for 150.00 total........could not resist. This will be the start to my bedroom set up.........bye bye TV speaker! :)

attachicon.gif3.jpgattachicon.gif1D.jpg

Looks great billy! hows it sound with the phantom fronts?

Phantom fronts are great but only when I sit off center :P

• Like 1

• Moderators
BigStewMan, on 12 Dec 2014 - 10:45 AM, said: i live in the land of panhandlers … some quite militant.

Your right it's really sad but you cannot tell if they are really needy or just want a drink or drugs.

If fast food places had gift certificates enough for one to eat it would be nice, even if they just wanted a drink it would give them food.

Within the last month I read a new story from the next closest town to ours 30 miles away. someone was curious about a panhandler at an exit to the interstate so he followed and recorded him, he walked about a mile away got into a Lexus and drove away. He brought the recording to the police dept and the next day the police also followed him to find the same thing. He was arrested and his picture was in the paper, they try to stop the panhandlers at these locations but it is an everyday job so most of the time they look the other way.

We did a lot of work in this town and would sometimes ask if the approached us if they wanted to come to work with us for the day and get paid cash, we never has one person take us up on the offer.

I feel sorry for them but many times do nothing not knowing if they are telling the truth.   

Edited by dtel

Small Coca`Cola Unopened 8 oz like my Grand Mother used to get many years ago. She would not drink canned cola, or use the bigger bottles. It always had to be the 8 oz Bottle.

Thanks to Carl it now resides on exhibit out of reach, to remind me of her.

My grandmother used get those too. But we grandkids were lucky if it was Coke. It was usually TAB!....ick!!

• Like 1

One big barrel of fun - the 2014 Breaking Bad Complete Series on Blu-Ray with DTS audio :)

BreakingBadBarrel.jpg

My girlfriend has been hinting for this "barrel" version of Breaking Bad for Christmas and also wants the Sons of Anarchy set (with the cardboard 'ammo / gun box' and SOA meeting table with the carved reaper).  She is addicted to those two shows (keeps telling me she wants to touch the SOA table) and seems to have gotten me hooked too. :o

One big barrel of fun - the 2014 Breaking Bad Complete Series on Blu-Ray with DTS audio :)

BreakingBadBarrel.jpg

My girlfriend has been hinting for this "barrel" version of Breaking Bad for Christmas and also wants the Sons of Anarchy set (with the cardboard 'ammo / gun box' and SOA meeting table with the carved reaper).  She is addicted to those two shows (keeps telling me she wants to touch the SOA table) and seems to have gotten me hooked too. :o

I never saw the series but a guy at work has the entire set.  I've borrowed it and watched my way up to the last season and on the second disc.  Great entertainment.  Very "addictive".

Having the wife's car fixed after a lady bumped into the back while sitting at a stop sign. Got the rental car (nice, Nissan Altima). Jerks certainly didn't clean it any before letting us take it. Weird... the on dash tire pressure gauges show left rear at 45 pounds. Right read at 29. Fronts also highly mismatched. Thing is, it handles perfectly, so I thought they might have false readings.

In West Virginia, we call that "a poor man's alignment."  B)

Having the wife's car fixed after a lady bumped into the back while sitting at a stop sign. Got the rental car (nice, Nissan Altima). Jerks certainly didn't clean it any before letting us take it. Weird... the on dash tire pressure gauges show left rear at 45 pounds. Right read at 29. Fronts also highly mismatched. Thing is, it handles perfectly, so I thought they might have false readings.

In West Virginia, we call that "a poor man's alignment."  B)

:o

BreakingBadBarrel.jpg

I never saw the series but a guy at work has the entire set.  I've borrowed it and watched my way up to the last season and on the second disc.  Great entertainment.  Very "addictive".

It does beg the question: Which is more addictive? The stuff that Walter White was making, or the series that tells the story about Walter White and the stuff he was making? :lol:

I'm not one who usually buys TV series, but Breaking Bad is a rare series that I felt I had to own a copy - the other being "The Wire".

received a slick aluminum case for my raspberry pi today..

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-18%20at%2011.17.

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-18%20at%2011.17.

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-18%20at%2011.18.

I'm sure this setup is no where near the Auralic gear recently discussed, but it gets me to 95% of my listening goal and at a fraction of the cost. For now, that's good enough. Some day when I've finished tweaking speakers and properly treated my room I may revisit the playback device(s).

• Like 2

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!